Gaming Theory :: Agree or Disagree

Sam Odom

Depends on how you look at it or what your motivation is with your gambling. 

A lot of people, either consciously or subconsciously, gamble for the exact thrill or sweat that you are talking about. They enjoy the ride, its like a high. 

If you are doing this strictly to grind out profit and see it almost as a second job (or even first/only job) then you probably aren't the type to "sweat" out your bets anyways. The ones who i take at their word as real pros from the forums simply put in their bets based on numbers and let the chips fall where they may while looking for other profitable opportunities 

Sammy makes a good point here.

You should track ML bets with with action points and frankly if your MLs don't finish above the average sides line, this prop is a long term LOSER.

Sammy is a razor in a box of butter knives.

looking at you Kinger.

Really? So you took an NBA fav at -130 and the fair price was -120, and your bet won with a 1-point win, you think that was a bad bet?

Action point grading is a tool when you use it correctly. It is a poor tool for MLs, especially with margins of victory close to 0.

I am of the opinion that even a close win with a heavy ML play is a loss in theory. Sure, you win your money back, but the sweat alone is the punishment and teaching.

i am confused.

IMO a win is a win and a loss is a loss. I know moral victories don't mean a damn thing.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

ML's of -200 or more I always put in a parlay. I would never play anything over -150 in a straight bet.

Sometimes it all boils down to whether you are willing to reach out and grab the low hanging fruit.

i blame greed for laying points. Sometimes i think it's better to take a lower payout in exchange for a higher probability.

ML's of -200 or more I always put in a parlay. I would never play anything over -150 in a straight bet.

Sometimes it all boils down to whether you are willing to reach out and grab the low hanging fruit.

i blame greed for laying points. Sometimes i think it's better to take a lower payout in exchange for a higher probability.

Would you lay -900 if you thought the bet would win 95% of the time?

yeah i think so if its a team coached by someone i trust like Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Bill Bellichick etc...

however as a general rule i really try not to bet anything over about -600 or -800

and i dont like going that high. I like to stay with games under -500 in most cases.

reason being is i have lost some parlays with games -1200 and up and that is a sickening feeling. It just makes me feel like a complete idiot b/c it adds very little to the pay out.

I was in full tilt mode on Monday after a brutal sunday and i had a parlay with illinois State ML in college hoops at -1250

Illinois State ended up winning by 1 point on a lay up with 2 seconds left.

I was sweating that shit like crazy thinking how dumb i was, to put them in the parlay without doing more research. Most of the time i try to find -300 to -500 favorites where the majority of bettors are taking the points with the dog.

Would you lay -900 if you thought the bet would win 95% of the time?

many people wouldn't. and i always get criticism for playing big chalks, but it's often a good strategy, mostly because people don't do it.

oh no a -300! what they don't realize is that it only has to win 1 out of every 2 times that they don't cover the spread to make the bet a good one

Really? So you took an NBA fav at -130 and the fair price was -120, and your bet won with a 1-point win, you think that was a bad bet?

Action point grading is a tool when you use it correctly. It is a poor tool for MLs, especially with margins of victory close to 0.

OK, how'd you know "fair price" was -120?  and please don't give me closing line bs. absolutely unworkable in especially in small/immature markets.

Action points is a quick tool (one in a box of many) to see if your ML picks are doing well.  If your long term action points misalign on ML plays, more than likely have a problem.

We grade every result into 5 boxes (in the main):

- loss, variance in game caused loss

- loss, variance not an issue

- unclear, could have gone either way, which usually captures those close games.

- win, variance not an issue

- win, variance helped win

there are a few more boxes which also include draws (pushes) and the grading reflects more of a shades of gray than shown here, but these are the main areas.

Two centre boxes are the key.  Win box must be larger than loss box to show an advantage.  the win ratio here is key.

forensic examination of past plays are important to see if your selection/modeling is on track.  BTW, absolutely critical in NFL where chaotic plays (TOs/etc) cover about 30-40% of scoring variance.

Why do you watch the game, unless betting in-game?

I used to have to be able to watch every game I bet or I wouldn't have action on it. Nowadays I am fine with checking the scores on my phone or waiting till next morning to check results. I don't bet for the action anymore. I bet to make money.

many people wouldn't. and i always get criticism for playing big chalks, but it's often a good strategy, mostly because people don't do it.

oh no a -300! what they don't realize is that it only has to win 1 out of every 2 times that they don't cover the spread to make the bet a good one

Bridge jumping is a valid strategy. Not sure who disagreed with you but maybe I have not paid enough attention to notice.

Are you still writing spy novels Justin7?

Post 15 + Post 16 (establish favorible market >1/9) = a great play,  Post 15 is a good play.

Who sweats plays??

No veteran capper who sticks to sound capping strategy, buys good numbers exhibits good money mgmt. should be sweating anything.

Got fukk all to do with what transpires on the field. I rarely watch

Good post

Bridge jumping is a valid strategy. Not sure who disagreed with you but maybe I have not paid enough attention to notice.

Are you still writing spy novels Justin7?

Still doing some writing. Publishing academic papers. I have one coming out on Spygaate II in a few months (yes, the Patriots are still cheating and have won 17 games more than they "should have"). Mostly sports betting though.