Slap it, Wrap it and roll it around..........maka ya woozy.........

Guest boatboatboat

Guest boatboatboat

Ok boys

Turkey day is almost here.

Take a few moments to take your bird from "ok" to exceptional.

On Tuesday BRINE YOUR BIRD

Very easy to do.

get a cooler that is as small as possible yet still allows you to put turkey in and close lid.

Fill cooler with Brine and put turkey in all day Tuesday. Brine is a simple solution of Water with 1/4 cup of salt per gallon of water (make sure salt is 100% dissolved) Slice up a lemon thrown that in. Put in 3-4 bay leaves and 2 large cooking onions coarsely chopped  .Brining uses natural process via the saline mixture to DRIVE moisture and flavor deep into the bird 

On Wed INJECT your bird.

Go to Kitchen store and buy a quality injector (will  be about 20 bucks). Buy a decent one as you will use for many other dishes and they if good quality will last for years. View a You Tube Video on injecting . Very easy to do. For a 18 lb bird Ill use about 3 cups of injection. Mine is simply 2 1/2 cups apple juice, 2 sticks of melted butter, and 3 tablespoons of dry creole seasonings. Slightly warm your apple juice prior to mixing in melted butter or the butter will solidify to quick. Inject the bird and allow the injection/marinade to do its magic in Turkey all day Wed.

On Thursday cook your turkey. Always remember, to use a meat thermometer to gauge the done ness of the bird.  Pull the bird 5 degress prior to its reached it's desired doneness. Tent the bird (put tin foil over it loosely) for 30 mins prior to slicing. During this time it will continue to cook and reach its desired doneness . Also during this time the natural juices will solidify to a small extent and make it so that when sliced the juices don't all run out leaving a dry serving. 

The 2 steps of brining and injection will take a total of about 20  Mins work and the result will be an OUTSTADNING Turkey dinner .

Will take you from this th?id=OIP.M6fdd97e2741d980f8086f870bf4c5

To this

th?id=OIP.M106070c384a18b98a9e4d05c5c5bf

the difference being the moisture in the bird

where is the best place to buy a turkey?

also should i buy frozen or thawled out?

and do i need to thawl before the brine?

does the cooler need ice in it while it brines???? i don't want to spoil the turkey

thanks , never cooked a turkey before but thinking about trying this year thanks to this thread.

Guest boatboatboat

where is the best place to buy a turkey?= Store that sells turkey

also should i buy frozen or thawled out?=frozen. Much cheaper. 75% of "fresh" are birds the store has thawed for you. 

and do i need to thawl before the brine? =yes and in a refrigerator this can take a few days

does the cooler need ice in it while it brines???? i don't want to spoil the turkey= fill cooler half full of the brine. top off with Ice. Put Turkey in. Bird will stay plenty cool for the 24 hours of brining

thanks , never cooked a turkey before but thinking about trying this year thanks to this thread.= well CHOP CHOP!!!

Guest boatboatboat

while the health dept wouldn't like this

buy a frozen

make brine

put frozen bird in the brine (it will brine as it thaws)

Pull from brine wed afternoon. (should be thawed by then)

stores unthaw turnkeys all the time in tubs in back room filled with water

where is the best place to buy a turkey?

also should i buy frozen or thawled out?

and do i need to thawl before the brine?

does the cooler need ice in it while it brines???? i don't want to spoil the turkey

thanks , never cooked a turkey before but thinking about trying this year thanks to this thread.

Fresh butterball, don't get frozen.