Milwaukee Mike signs for 500k

WVU

glorification of youth. Not me. How else do you arrive at something as grotesquely glorious as the Grammys — or most movies — without catering to the trite and jagged tastes of bleary-eyed kids? No, give me youth or give me death, even if the former can be "a form of chemical madness," as F. Scott Fitzgerald once noted.

Which brings us to disc golf, probably the most youthful of all sports. While traditional golf is being played at its most gilded levels at Riviera Country Club this weekend, disc golf opens locally with a free tournament on a scruffy old course in Pasadena, featuring the top player in the world, an Orange County kid who can chuck a wedge of plastic to Pluto (if the solar wind's a little right).

Paul McBeth is 25, and has thrown a disc farther than most of us can smack a Titleist. More impressive, he can snap a shot into a chained basket — the hole in disc golf — from 75 feet away as reliably as splashing a free throw.

See the most-read stories in Sports this hour>>

A four-time world champ and the sport's No. 1-ranked player, McBeth blends confidence and great calm in a way that eludes most duffers. It's why the Huntington Beach High grad just signed a sponsorship deal worth more than a half-million dollars. That's chicken feed compared with PGA deals. But still.

my son is a big fan of mcbeth

disc golf has been the cause of some of my biggest pleasure and pain

i think i played about 8 rounds of regular golf last year and 50 of disc golf, this year it will probably be 8 regular 100 disc lol

i watched the video. This Mcbeth guy is pretty amazing

i watched the video. This Mcbeth guy is pretty amazing

check out some of those 700 foot drives they do in the desert, they just go forever

my son putts hundreds of times a day in the basement, wouldn't surprise me if he is the next mcbeth, almost nobody else that plays disc golf is even close to as serious about it

a couple weeks ago we played 2 rounds and he cranked off a -5 and -7 which would be right there with most pros

check out some of those 700 foot drives they do in the desert, they just go forever

my son putts hundreds of times a day in the basement, wouldn't surprise me if he is the next mcbeth, almost nobody else that plays disc golf is even close to as serious about it

a couple weeks ago we played 2 rounds and he cranked off a -5 and -7 which would be right there with most pros

niche sport. Easy to excel. Probably why I picked distance running. does he have a regulation disc golf hole in the basement to practice putts?

niche sport. Easy to excel. Probably why I picked distance running. does he have a regulation disc golf hole in the basement to practice putts?

yes we have a double-chain regulation basket, he carries it outside weather permitting

you're dead on that it's easy to excel, no money in it... just like the tiger effect where now we have a ton of quality worldwide golfers... they never existed when there was no financial incentive to practice all day/night which is the current state of disc golf