Arrieta best run in history

wiskers

I would say Pedro probably had a better run. He went an entire season with an ERA under 2 in the Al East when hitting (steroid use) was at its prime didnt he?

Scoring is way down in MLB right now and Arrieta pitching in the NL makes me lean towards Pedros run as being more impressive. 

But Arrieta is a monster, not trying to downplay his dominance. Its special to watch. When you throw him beside that offense, Lester/Lackey/Hammel behind him and the resources to add a major piece at the deadline the Cubbies are looking like they still had major value as WS favs at +800. IDK if there are odds right now out but id say +500 is a more fair price and even that would look somewhat tasty 

I would say Pedro probably had a better run. He went an entire season with an ERA under 2 in the Al East when hitting (steroid use) was at its prime didnt he?

Scoring is way down in MLB right now and Arrieta pitching in the NL makes me lean towards Pedros run as being more impressive

But Arrieta is a monster, not trying to downplay his dominance. Its special to watch. When you throw him beside that offense, Lester/Lackey/Hammel behind him and the resources to add a major piece at the deadline the Cubbies are looking like they still had major value as WS favs at +800. IDK if there are odds right now out but id say +500 is a more fair price and even that would look somewhat tasty 

Could not agree more. Tremendous write up. Petey was slinging it at the height of the steroid era. Every LIL shit was jacking 30 bombs a year. Completely different game now. No GREENIES is an even bigger deterrent to offense then no steroids

Mets aren't even a playoff team. I said this before the season started as well mets caught lightning in a bottle last year and runs like that happen very rarely. The offense simply has too many holes and the NL is loaded

The mets have 10 times better line up then the Cubs , and pitching imo is better then the Cubs pitching once degrom returns

I'll male u a wager that Mets make the playoff

Pedro's run was better knowing most guys were on something. Plus Pedro was pitching in the,AL with the DH. To be honest I don't know how Arrieta is doing this when he was with the O's he did not look great @ all. He is having a stellar run one of the all time best just not greatest.

Os didnt let Arrieta throw his best pitch, his cutter. They have a rule against it i believe because they think it leads to injury issues and they also believe it isnt an overly effective pitch 

Scoring is way down in MLB right now and Arrieta pitching in the NL makes me lean towards Pedros run as being more impressive. 

they're +500 at heritage/5dimes

i question the logic of taking +500 less than a month into the season, when you could've taken +800 before the schwarber injury... and the mlb playoffs are close to a total crapshoot

2015 there were 3 teams with better records than the royals... 2014 the giants had the worst record of any playoff team... 

Os didnt let Arrieta throw his best pitch, his cutter. They have a rule against it i believe because they think it leads to injury issues and they also believe it isnt an overly effective pitch 

Neither Fangraphs or Brooks shows him throwing a cutter at all.

His out pitch is a slider

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/tabs.php?player=453562&p_hand=-1&ppos=-1&cn=200&gFilt=&time=month&minmax=ci&var=ra&s_type=2&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=04/22/2016&balls=-1&strikes=-1&b_hand=-1

i think there's often some confusion on whether a pitch is a cut fastball or a slider, depending on how the pitcher throws it

i have heard arrieta's called a cutter but for some reason on brooks it doesn't call it that

they're +500 at heritage/5dimes

i question the logic of taking +500 less than a month into the season, when you could've taken +800 before the schwarber injury... and the mlb playoffs are close to a total crapshoot

2015 there were 3 teams with better records than the royals... 2014 the giants had the worst record of any playoff team... 

Yeah i already have +804 so not looking to take on any more action, but i can still see some value potentially at +500. You are right that playoffs are tough in MLB and the best team rarely wins it all (best team probably wins in MLB the least of all major sports)

But still if you buy Cubs as the best team even if you see the playoffs as a crapshoot you will be able to profit out your +500 in the playoffs (again, if Cubs really are the best team). If Cubs go into the playoffs as the 1 seed in the NL id guess they are more around +200. But thats a big assumption to make 3 weeks into the season, i just see the team as stacked. They have a top lineup and a great rotation, have a bunch of easy wins vs Milw/Cinci and resources to add a stud at the deadline if they want to (thinking names like Tyson Ross, maybe Cobb from TB, Lucroy to fill the void at catcher, maybe McGee for the pen)