OT: I was going to give this homeless guy $5 then I changed my mind...

KingRevolver

I was walking out of a Carls Jr. and I saw a homeless guy sitting down a few feet away from me.  I walked to my car, and I thought about giving him $5.  Anyway, so I take the money out of my wallet and put it to the side... figured I'd hand it to him once I drove past him.  I then get a phone call... was on the phone for about three minutes.  I get ready to leave and I see the homeless guy coming up to my car to ask for some money.  I changed my mind and drove off.

If I see someone in a bad situation but they DON'T ask me, I'm much more likely to pull up to them and give them some money.  But if they ask me, I'm more likely to say no.

I guess I'm a weirdo. :scratch

I was walking out of a Carls Jr. and I saw a homeless guy sitting down a few feet away from me.  I walked to my car, and I thought about giving him $5.  Anyway, so I take the money out of my wallet and put it to the side... figured I'd hand it to him once I drove past him.  I then get a phone call... was on the phone for about three minutes.  I get ready to leave and I see the homeless guy coming up to my car to ask for some money.  I changed my mind and drove off.

If I see someone in a bad situation but they DON'T ask me, I'm much more likely to pull up to them and give them some money.  But if they ask me, I'm more likely to say no.

That story is good Kinger, make yourself look like a good guy willing to help people, without actually giving away any money. :laugh

NEVER give money to beggars.

They can get food. This is the United States.

They will used the money for other things.

Alternative POV -- ALWAYS give money to anyone anytime It Feels Good

This is The United States -- Money is easy to get and it becomes easier the more frequently you pass it on - for whatever reason you decide

I do not give someone money with any expectation of what they will (or I think they Should) do with it.

I give money away because It Feels Awesome

Great life tip I received years ago from a multi multi millionaire (the late, great Jim Rohn):

When you feel like giving some money away and you look into your wallet and think, "Should I give away $5, $10...$20??"

ALWAYS select the highest number considered

Alternative POV -- ALWAYS give money to anyone anytime It Feels Good

This is The United States -- Money is easy to get and it becomes easier the more frequently you pass it on - for whatever reason you decide

I do not give someone money with any expectation of what they will (or I think they Should) do with it.

I give money away because It Feels Awesome

Fair enough.

I love to give things to others as well.

I just don't want my money going towards something I may not necessarily endorse. 

Like a needle in a vein.  We all know thats where most of it goes..

If your gonna donate to homeless always buy them food, instead for obvious reasons. Plenty of times I've gotta cursed out by them for offering to go up to the counter and buying them food. Had a guy once who threw away a whole Big Mac meal in front of my eyes without even taking a single bite. If the person resembles a druggie just say no.

I give money to homeless people all the time.

Who cares what they choose to spend it on.

You high and mighty self absorbed clowns think by saying no or telling them you can't support their drug or booze habits think that is "helping"'them? Or that it's going to all of a sudden convince them to go from junkies to hard working contributing members of society?

JFC

You high and mighty self absorbed clowns think by saying no or telling them you can't support their drug or booze habits think that is "helping"'them? Or that it's going to all of a sudden convince them to go from junkies to hard working contributing members of society?

JFC

Fair enough.

But at the same time, dont get all high and mighty telling me where my charity should go and how I decide to spend it.

There are a bunch of homeless guys that camp out by the underpass near my work. These guys are pretty organized and take their shopping carts and go around the area picking up pallets and scrap metal and cash them in at the scrap place down the street.

I've never seen any of them panhandling and they seem to be pretty relaxed as a group to me. I see them out my office window all day and they are constantly working.

I'd never given to any panhandlers in my life, but last Christmas season as I came to work I stopped my car a few times and gave $5 to a couple guys and it seemed genuinely appreciated.

JFC

This.

Agree completely.

They are living hard lives so why not give them a gift that will allow them to get some pleasure/relief from reality.

Wow the real version is, he went to his car, he rolled his window down, put the 5 folded on his window, rolled it back up so the 5 is stuck, got on the phone, the homeless guy saw the 5 being stuck on the window, came up to him to ask, and Kinger said fuck off and drove away all the way home while his 5 dollar bill is flapping against the window on the highway... WOW KINGER WOW!!!

I was walking out of a Carls Jr. and I saw a homeless guy sitting down a few feet away from me. I walked to my car, and I thought about giving him $5. Anyway, so I take the money out of my wallet and put it to the side... figured I'd hand it to him once I drove past him. I then get a phone call... was on the phone for about three minutes. I get ready to leave and I see the homeless guy coming up to my car to ask for some money. I changed my mind and drove off.

If I see someone in a bad situation but they DON'T ask me, I'm much more likely to pull up to them and give them some money. But if they ask me, I'm more likely to say no.

Jeez, next time pull an American Psycho and snuff him and his dog out?