40 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the best dish

• Sriracha Meatballs slow cooked and served over rice
    • Three piece grilled chicken meal with sides
    • Cornmeal crusted tilapia meal
    • Inverted bbq/hot sauced chicken drumsticks
    • Pan fried boneless pork chop with peaches
    • Homemade crepes with blueberries, whipped cream, butter, and syrup

Thanks to everyone who participated and to Boat and TGF for the prize pool and for supporting this idea and allowing me to run with it. Thanks to JoeyDonuts for contribution of gift card as an additional prize. Very cool of all of you. I do appreciate it. 

I was hoping for a bigger turnout, but we can adjust timeline and accommodations next time around. Below are the entries with comments submitted via pm with the dishes. I have the receipts from everyone, as well as some step-by-step photos that will be posted after the voting.

For those that did not see the discussion thread, there is a prize pool of $100 worth of items, including a $40 gift card to restaurant of winner's choiice as well as some cooking equipment and the top cookbook/educational book of the year. It is very nice. The contest rules were to create a dish for $5 or less, with proof of receipt. Some common pantry items were allowed to not count against the price total. 

Please cast your vote for best dish. 

Thank you. 

VOTING CLOSES AT 11:59 PM ON SUNDAY, JUNE 19th. 

#1 - Sriracha meatballs made with turkey, jelly, bread crumbs, egg, salt, pepper, sriracha hot sauce. Slow cooked and served over bed of rice:

#2 - Three piece grilled chicken meal, baked potato on the grill, corn cooked on the grill, carrots and green beans prepped on the stove then finished on grill to caramelize. 

#3 - Cornmeal crusted tilapia on buttered hot sauce, sauteed squash and zuchinni and a side of corn and tomatillo salsa.

#4 - Inverted chicken drumsticks dipped in bbq and hot sauces and cooked. Inverted style allows ligaments to get cooked away and you can eat all of the meat with ease.  

#5 - Pan fried boneless pork chop topped with warmed peaches and served with mashed sweet potato, honey bbq sauce and cold peach slices. 

#6 - Homemade crepes with blueberries, whipped cream, butter and syrup. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made a goof on my part. I said I wouldn't vote since I knew who the posts were from. I voted. Boys, I drove 14 of the last 36 hours, ate like a pig, and didn't sleep. Wasn't thinking. If there is any way to remove my vote, please do. If not, we can subtract mine from the final results. I apologize. Honest mistake. Sorry. 

Posting this in other thread as well. 

I know I have to keep comments to my self because I'm in the contest so I'll keep my mouth shut about calling out some dishes by number but 3 of the 6 make me sick to look at....

I think one of them looks great but I don't want to vote for it because then posters will know it's not mine and if they don't like me they will vote for it also....

I'm not voting....but if I win anything (don't even know if it's winner take all) I will give my prize to the poster I think is best if he/she doesn't end up winning above me...

3 suck......sorry

2 average.....mine

1 really good....?

Good looking dishes!

Incredible that people were able to make those sort of things for under $5!

What should the judging criteria be? Best looking? What we think tasted the best? Or just our favorite based on everything?

We talked a little about it early on in the other thread. It just seems to be overall best dish - all things considered.  

Since tasting is out of the picture, you'll have to go with creativity, best use of $5, presentation, etc.  Also, it doesn't have to be something of your preferred taste. Someone could be allergic to an ingredient and would not order it themselves, but could still use an unbiased vote to say that a particular dish was best executed according to the guidelines. 

Hope that helps somewhat.

Good looking dishes!

Incredible that people were able to make those sort of things for under $5!

What should the judging criteria be? Best looking? What we think tasted the best? Or just our favorite based on everything?

I made mine for $3.40

I couldn't believe it.....I will never say that all Vegas pros eat noodles after a bad week.....you can eat all day good and healthy for under 5 bucks

I know I have to keep comments to my self because I'm in the contest so I'll keep my mouth shut about calling out some dishes by number but 3 of the 6 make me sick to look at....

I think one of them looks great but I don't want to vote for it because then posters will know it's not mine and if they don't like me they will vote for it also....

I'm not voting....but if I win anything (don't even know if it's winner take all) I will give my prize to the poster I think is best if he/she doesn't end up winning above me...

3 suck......sorry

2 average.....mine

1 really good....?

After voting is done, let her rip Teddy. I don't think anybody would have hurt feelings. It's all opinion anyway. All tastes are different. That's what made this more challenging than I thought originally. Either way, thanks for doing your part in it. 

Yeah it's late JD and I have a buzz so I'm typically an asshole.....kudos to everyone who took the time to make a meal.....I'm going yo vote it's not like I'm jocking for position in a million dollar contest so sorry for being a douche .......wish we would had at least 20 it would have been really fun...

I'm voting for #5 who I think had a very nice presentation and that's what I came in with my reason on voting but to each their own

Yeah it's late JD and I have a buzz so I'm typically an asshole.....kudos to everyone who took the time to make a meal.....I'm going yo vote it's not like I'm jocking for position in a million dollar contest so sorry for being a douche .......wish we would had at least 20 it would have been really fun...

I'm voting for #5 who I think had a very nice presentation and that's what I came in with my reason on voting but to each their own

5 got my very vote as well.

Great presentation.

I'm also a huge fan of pork chops done with fruit elements and the mashed sweet potatoes work perfect too. Also liked using the peaches both hot and cold.

# 3 a close 2nd. My plan before i realized it was virtually impossible for me to make a full meal for under $5 was going to be tilapia.

Tomatillo/corn salsa looks nice and fresh and probably tasted great.

Ted, your chicken wings probably tasted better than any of the fancy stuff other made.

3 suck......sorry

2 average.....mine

1 really good....?

I was being a drunkin douxhebag sorry.....honestly looking at them this morning (sober) they all look scrumptious.....

I just noticed the matching plates so I guess that person did two entries, I'm interested in finding out who it is and if what they do for a living has to do with food.....very well done

Only 4 posters entered thou that's less then the fishing contest.....you guys are no fun

I am very much a food square ... I voted for the tilapia dish because it looks visually very appealing esp for $5 bucks or under just ahead of the pork chop dish which also looked great on the plate. 

But if I walked up to a table to taste test it would have been my last option as I am not a fan of the fish itself. I love meatballs and meatball stew so #1 would have been my first choice followed by #2 and #6 and then the chicken legs then crepe (I have never actually had a crepe - so those may have moved up after tasting) and then the pork chop. 

I just typed out a short novel giving pros/cons of each submission and I got the wheel of death when trying to submit ....then it was gone! Fok!   So pissed.   I'm not going to try to recreate...at least right now

I voted for the Tilapia in a close contest with #2....I will try to come back with reasoning, but may not..

Great job to all. All look good and it took me a long time to decide. All had their pros and cons.   Great contest!!