Cats for Dummies

IAG

My cat loves to climb trees and catch birds. He doesn't kill them, well he isn't trying to kill them all he wants to do is bring them into my apt so he can play with them.

Cat tried to bring in another bird the other morning at 4am. I was in bed but heard chirping noises, I immediately knew what was happening so I jumped up to see what was going on, the little fucker caught one and was having trouble getting it inside because of the cat door.

I managed to keep him outside and get him to release the bird but he squirmed away from me every time to get back at the bird. Eventually I held him and covered his eyes so he couldn't see the bird - it was limping away with a broken wing and after a few hops a feral cat noticed and grabbed it. RIP bird.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

I want this thing so badly! If you s t want to click it’s a self cleaning litter box.

https://www.litter-robot.com/litter-robot-iii-open-air.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrr2loOes1wIVBrjACh2L0A_FEAQYASABEgIK1PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

$450. Anyone have one of these? Ideally a cheaper model that works well.

One of those came up on slickdeals the other day for 250ish, wasn't that model but got great reviews on Amazon.  Still couldn't imagine paying for that though.  Have no problem cleaning the litter box, just sucks when you're gone and it piles up then just end up tossing the whole thing. 

One of those came up on slickdeals the other day for 250ish, wasn't that model but got great reviews on Amazon.  Still couldn't imagine paying for that though.  Have no problem cleaning the litter box, just sucks when you're gone and it piles up then just end up tossing the whole thing.

Claims you cut down on litter by 50%. Seems like would still take a lot of time to pay for itself. . It’s tempting. Wish I knew someone who had one.

This is kind of cool too, but doesn’t clean itself, just hides box.

https://www.hayneedle.com/product/boomer-george-carter-mid-century-modern-cat-litter-box.cfm?ltype=child&tid=REDU100-1

• 1 year later...

Sleepy do your two cats get along?

As of late my two cats have been fighting and it’s not play fighting. I’ve tried all the solutions I can find online, but if things don’t improve soon I’m going to have to reevaluate.

I know it’s game day and don’t expect a lot of discussion today but if anyone has any ideas on how to improve relations. One is female spayed and about four, and the new cat was the stray that is a little over one ..neutered male.mmmI can’t tell who is instigating. I think both at different times. But the new one has been in the corner so scared he literally shit and peed himself. I cannot have that.

Funny thing is it just started happening. I only brought in this second cat because they had gotten along, and knew each other from hanging out together outside over the summer.

Sleepy do your two cats get along?

As of late my two cats have been fighting and it’s not play fighting. I’ve tried all the solutions I can find online, but if things don’t improve soon I’m going to have to reevaluate.

I know it’s game day and don’t expect a lot of discussion today but if anyone has any ideas on how to improve relations. One is female spayed and about four, and the new cat was the stray that is a little over one ..neutered male.mmmI can’t tell who is instigating. I think both at different times. But the new one has been in the corner so scared he literally shit and peed himself. I cannot have that.

Funny thing is it just started happening. I only brought in this second cat because they had gotten along, and knew each other from hanging out together outside over the summer.

I'm surprised two cats that didn't grow up together like each other at all, you might try separating them a bit, I'm not talking about locking one or the other up, just pick one up and move him if they start fighting.

I'm surprised two cats that didn't grow up together like each other at all, you might try separating them a bit, I'm not talking about locking one or the other up, just pick one up and move him if they start fighting.

Yeah maybe liked is too strong of word but they certainly tolerated each other and would play together. That’s why I wondered about Sleepy’s cats , because I think he adopted them at the same time but they came from different homes...I think.

They usually are separate. When I hear the fighting, I either clap or just approach and they break it up pretty quickly. But sometimes I’m not nearby so it’s possible some real damage could be done especially considering one is declawed and one is not.

I did have that extra mattress removed (was just up against the wall) that the one cat would sit on downstairs and look out the window and there have been a few people downstairs working on things lately, so perhaps it’s a territorial or stress thing from change in routine,,,I have literally been carrying the male downstairs to the litter box and supervising to make sure the other doesn’t stalk him while taking care of business. Obviously that can’t go on forever, but can’t have him pooping all over because it’s scared to go to the box.

I think I’ll take him to the vet to make sure there’s nothing else going on if this doesn’t resolve within a week.

Yeah maybe liked is too strong of word but they certainly tolerated each other and would play together. That’s why I wondered about Sleepy’s cats , because I think he adopted them at the same time but they came from different homes...I think.

They usually are separate. When I hear the fighting, I either clap or just approach and they break it up pretty quickly. But sometimes I’m not nearby so it’s possible some real damage could be done especially considering one is declawed and one is not.

I did have that extra mattress removed (was just up against the wall) that the one cat would sit on downstairs and look out the window and there have been a few people downstairs working on things lately, so perhaps it’s a territorial or stress thing from change in routine,,,I have literally been carrying the male downstairs to the litter box and supervising to make sure the other doesn’t stalk him while taking care of business. Obviously that can’t go on forever, but can’t have him pooping all over because it’s scared to go to the box.

I think I’ll take him to the vet to make sure there’s nothing else going on if this doesn’t resolve within a week.

One box for both of them?

One box for both of them?

Well I have the Litter Robot, and was hoping to eventually use that exclusively, but currently have two extra boxes downstairs. I think for a period though I had move those boxes away because I had workers down there. It’s possible that this started during that time.I don’t really want to shell out another $500 for another litter robot. Since it scoops immediately it should be fine for multiple cat use, but if they are having problems it is likely tied to that I’m guessing, so the extra boxes will stay for now anyway.

It kind of defeats the purpose of having a LR though, if you have to scoop regardless. It’s not even as much about the scooping as avoiding cat smell.

Well I have the Litter Robot, and was hoping to eventually use that exclusively, but currently have two extra boxes downstairs. I think for a period though I had move those boxes away because I had workers down there. It’s possible that this started during that time.I don’t really want to shell out another $500 for another litter robot. Since it scoops immediately it should be fine for multiple cat use, but if they are having problems it is likely tied to that I’m guessing, so the extra boxes will stay for now anyway.

It kind of defeats the purpose of having a LR though, if you have to scoop regardless. It’s not even as much about the scooping as avoiding cat smell.

I clean mine once a day, 1 poop, 2 pisses, dont see the need for a litter robot, cats aren't stupid, they dont expect a pristine box.

Do you have a male or female? Wet or dry food?

Male(fixed), dry food, although he likes people food best. for awhile I'd give him a treat and buy him some wet food, i thought it would be better than the crap i feed him, but he would hardly eat it and I'd end up throwing most of it away. Now if I'm gonna give him a treat i just give him a can of tuna or mackeral, if he wont eat it, i will.

Male(fixed), dry food, although he likes people food best. for awhile I'd give him a treat and buy him some wet food, i thought it would be better than the crap i feed him, but he would hardly eat it and I'd end up throwing most of it away. Now if I'm gonna give him a treat i just give him a can of tuna or mackeral, if he wont eat it, i will.

My male drinks soooo much water. My female never drank water, as I assume, she was getting her hydration from her wet food. But this new cat pees so much...the litter clumps are huge. Sometimes they don’t fit thru the litter robot opening. It’s crazy lol. I hope he doesn’t have diabetes.

My cats won’t touch people food, but will eat both wet and dry cat food. Funny how they are all so different...just. like. people.

IAG,  I have a fixed male (age 4) and a fixed female (age 9).  He is very large and she is very small. They are not related.  He will occasionally go alpha male on her but nothing bad or mean.  I have not experienced what you are going through with any of my cats, which leads me to believe one of yours is probably going through a phase.  Monitor for a bit longer and if nothing improves, give the vet a call.

IAG,  I have a fixed male (age 4) and a fixed female (age 9).  He is very large and she is very small. They are not related.  He will occasionally go alpha male on her but nothing bad or mean.  I have not experienced what you are going through with any of my cats, which leads me to believe one of yours is probably going through a phase.  Monitor for a bit longer and if nothing improves, give the vet a call.

Thanks BGS. I hope you are right. At first it was the male pushing away the female when she was eating. I understood that because he was a stray and didn’t know there was food always available. She was very submissive and allowed him to do it with no problem. For some reason now there is something more going on. They can’t be in the same room without the male growling and female striking and male periodically losing control of his poo..happened three times...ugh!!

The male is with me constantly ...sleeps with me etc... The female would sleep near me some, but not always, and is very independent. I can’t imagine she is jealous of the time that I am spending with the other cat, but can’t rule that out. I’m trying to give her more attention.

I have the male on the kitty insurance plan so I have a few free visits coming. I think I will take him in and make sure nothing else is going on like you said, if it doesn’t resolve in a week or two.

Thanks BGS. I hope you are right. At first it was the male pushing away the female when she was eating. I understood that because he was a stray and didn’t know there was food always available. She was very submissive and allowed him to do it with no problem. For some reason now there is something more going on. They can’t be in the same room without the male growling and female striking and male periodically losing control of his poo..happened three times...ugh!!

The male is with me constantly ...sleeps with me etc... The female would sleep near me some, but not always, and is very independent. I can’t imagine she is jealous of the time that I am spending with the other cat, but can’t rule that out. I’m trying to give her more attention.

I have the male on the kitty insurance plan so I have a few free visits coming. I think I will take him in and make sure nothing else is going on like you said, if it doesn’t resolve in a week or two.

Male cats are way more effectionate and sociable than female cats.