Cats for Dummies

IAG

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend a car tree as well. But don't get and all carpet one. Get one with thistle rope on it. Cats prefer to scratch that. We have a big one. And all of our cats loved it.

. That's the one I have, but it's fairly small (one landing). If I would have known how much she would use it, I would have gotten the larger one. The neighbor had a huge one at a garage sale a month ago, but wasn't sure if cat would smell prior owner and not use it for some reason. I did see a nice one that had a little cubby and the thistle rope today...it was about $150.,,figured I would look on eBay/Amazon to see if I could find something similar a bit cheaper.

Yeh ours is 6ft. tall. With multiple levels. Think we paid between $150 and $200.

I can text Miker a picture to post if you want. But when we bought this we had three cats at the time. Now we're down to one.

Thank you, but I think there are enough varieties between the pet stores and online that I can view. Actually the one I have is two landings. I was thinking it was one. She would probably enjoy a taller one though so I am going to look around.

Thoughts on nail clipping? I just got new furniture, and Kat had scratched some of my old. I had her nails clipped two weeks ago, but they seem to have grown out really quickly. I'm scared to try to do it myself, but maybe it's not that hard to do, and would rather not be taking he to groomer every two weeks, I don't think my neighbor ever clips her cat's claw. but she tolerates a lot more in her house then I do. Plus I play with cat quite a bit, and if she digs in her claws, it can't hurt.

I really wanted to have her declawed, but after reading the literature online, got spooked off of it and decided was a cruel thing to do. Since then, many people have told me that they have had their cat declawed, and it was not an issue for them. If I was going to do it though, I should have done it when I had her spayed. I think I'll just try to keep nails clipped really short. Has anyone clipped cat toenails by themselves? Or do you not do it at all?

Spend a few extra dollars and don't get the cheapest.  Get one that is like scissors and not the ones with a loop on the end.  Human clippers are probably OK for a kitten.

Just cut the white colored tips and don't get into the pink part just like human nails.

The main thing is get the right angle so that the nail is not twisted or pulled as you cut it.

It takes a some practice to do it smoothly and quickly.  Work on it a little at a time so she doesn't start off being scared.

Scratching is a territorial marking. Try to get the cat to use a scratching post before she decides to use the furniture.  Put the post near the TV or someplace similar where you will be a lot of the time. Move it around a after a few days and hopefully she will decide to use it.  If she picks another spot for scratching move the post there.

Get something with a rough, coarse surface and not carpet. Maybe rub some catnip on it to attract her attention.  

If I happen to win the MLB contest, free cat to first TGF poster to adopt from their local shelter. Up to $100 refund. Must show proof of purchase. If cat is no charge, $100 on Petsmart card for food,supplies, etc... Offer will be good for 10 days following contest completion.

Offer void if other then first-place finish.