Charlotte police to release video in next 30 minutes

SUPERMAN 23

CMPD releasing body camera, dash-cam footage in Keith Lamont Scott case

http://wbtv.images.worldnow.com/images/11925173_G.jpg (Source: Family of Keith Lamont Scott)

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

CMPD has confirmed it will release video showing officers' encounter with Keith Lamont Scott that led to Scott's death, as well as previously unreleased information about what led to the incident.

It's video that Scott's family has been wanting to have released to the public. CMPD Chief Kerr Putney initially said he did not want it to be released to protect the integrity of the investigation. 

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney held a press conference at 4:30 p.m. Saturday. During the press conference, Putney said the department would be releasing body camera as well as dashcam video of the incident.

MOBILE USERS: CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE CMPD PRESS CONFERENCE (SCHEDULED TO BEGIN AT 4:30 p.m.)

Once the video is released by CMPD, WBTV will work to obtained a copy of the video and post it online. Check back to WBTV.com for more updates.

"I've decided We're at a stage where we can release this video without negatively impacting investigation," Putney said. "My goal has been throughout entire process is to maintain integrity of case."

Putney said he believes it is in the community's best interest to release the video. He said he is releasing what he sees as "indisputable evidence that the facts we started with are the facts that remain."

NC Governor Pat McCrory released a statement just before 4:30 p.m. confirming the videos were going to be released.

"As governor of North Carolina, I concur with the Charlotte police chief's decision to release the tapes. I have been assured by the State Bureau of Investigation that the release will have no material impact on the independent investigation since most of the known witnesses have been interviewed," the statement read. "We have appreciated the ongoing dialogue and team work between state and city officials to seek public transparency while protecting the integrity of the investigation and the rights of all parties involved in this case."

Scott, 43, was killed Tuesday while police were serving a warrant at The Village at College Downs apartment complex on Old Concord Road, in northeast Charlotte. His death sparked protesting across the city, erupting into violence.

Scott's family has said he did not own a gun, but police said they recovered a gun at the scene of the shooting. Friday, a police source confirmed to WBTV that a gun reportedly found near the body of Keith Lamont Scott has Scott's fingerprints, DNA and blood on it. The source also told WBTV the case in the gun was loaded.

At Saturday's press conference, Putney said Scott was "absolutely in possession of a handgun."

RELATED: Police source: Gun found near Keith Scott's body had his fingerprints, DNA on it

CMPD says video does not give probable cause

Putney did not fully describe what he saw in the video, but said the video, along with evidence gathered at the scene, supports what they've said since the beginning of the investigation.

Putney says he has seen one video from body cam and one video from dash cam, and that more evidence is still coming in. "The video evidence doesn't solely get us to probable cause," Putney said.

RELATED: CMPD chief: Video evidence doesn't get us to probable cause

Brentley Vinson, the officer who opened fire, was not wearing a body camera, according to Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney. Putney said other uniformed officers on scene were wearing cameras. Vinson was reportedly wearing plain clothes and a clearly marked CMPD vest.

"I can tell you a weapon was seized, a handgun," Putney said, discussing what was recovered from the scene. "I can also tell you we did not find a book that has been made referenced to."

Family calls for CMPD to answer video

Family viewed the video Thursday, saying they then had "more questions than answers."

"When told by police to exit his vehicle, Mr. Scott did so in a very calm, non-aggressive manner," the statement from the family read. "While police did give him several commands, he did not aggressively approach them or raise his hands at members of law enforcement at any time."

An attorney later told the media that they saw "versions from different angles."

RELATED: Family, police see different tale in same videos

"We believe the time will come where everyone will be able to see what actually happened," he said. "We ask that you all give this family time to mourn."

Several stories have emerged on whether Scott had a gun at the time. Some say he was holding a book. "My understanding is that he did not own a gun, he did not habitually carry a gun," Bamberg said. 

Scott family releases video recorded by wife

Friday, WBTV obtained a video recorded by Scott's wife, Rakeiya Scott. The 2 ½-minute shows his wife repeatedly telling officers he is not armed and pleading with them not to shoot as they shout commands to drop a gun. Her footage does not show the shooting, though gunshots can be heard.

RELATED: Graphic video shows deadly encounter between Charlotte police, Keith Scott

The investigation has been turned over to the State Bureau of Investigation, but CMPD still has the authority to release it when they decide to do so.

"The SBI has dedicated significant resources to investigate this case and will report back to the District Attorney when the investigation is completed," the SBI said in a statement. "Regarding the video of the event captured by CMPD cameras, CMPD remains the custodian of the original recording and as such has the legal authority to release it."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when you used to hate cops and sided with citizens first. Your hate of black people has clouded your vision.

From that video, for you to argue he was a threat is absolutely laughable.

Not on anybody's side. Can't tell shit from the video. You are so quick to rush to judgment on these things.

He never raised his arms and he was walking backwards. Please tell me how he was a risk to officers life.

Lethal force should be the absolute last option. You used to agree with that.

I agree it should be the last resort. Can't tell of he had a gun from that video. They clearly tell him to drop it multiple times. It's sad either way.

I agree it should be the last resort. Can't tell of he had a gun from that video. They clearly tell him to drop it multiple times. It's sad either way.

If guns are legal in this country you can not just shoot people at first sight of one. He didnt raise his hands. That's the crucial part for me. His hands never elevate towards and officer and he's walking backwards.

So has been reported 100% he had a gun in hand? If so, can't blame cops with his odd unpredictable behavior.

No clue. Don't see anything but hard to say.

Don't trust cops word on that since they dropped that weapon at that guys side they shot in the back a year or so ago.

I'm tired of cops killing people in this country, regardless of race.

We do it at a crazy amount compared to the rest of the civilized world.