RIP Arnold Palmer

nothing but winners

Met Arnie a couple times, once while he was pumping gas next to me.

A true Pittsburgh legend, was extremely approachable, especially away from the golf course. I think every time I saw him had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Just a regular guy and basically cool as shit.

He should have rooted for Jack

Jack was better then(early 70's), but arnold still had a chance. Looking back on it, and having seen both palmer and nicklaus a couple times, you see the difference. Even in his 80's palmer could interact with the crowd. people yell something and he'd yell back. jack is, and was great, but is as dull as a stump.

I lived less than a mile from Oakmont CC, and was at the US Open in 1994 for Arnie's swan song in front of his home crowd. He played god awful as expected, but still had the cigarette in his mouth between holes, and was obviously enjoying himself.

Not to beat it to death, but especially in the later years when he knew he wasn't a competitive threat Arnie still loved interacting with the people. Blue collared fans in particular loved him. He was pretty much just a regular guy and people loved him for it.