Just bought a domain

Cop

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most buy .net and org with .com

The thing is, most traffic comes from normal folks not people who have any idea that .org exists -- cop is the perfect example, he loves this shite and .org didn't cross his mind.

Unless it's a well known company/site, most people first arrive at the sites through Google or other links and the domain name and TLD don't really matter at all...

Unless it's a well known company/site, most people first arrive at the sites through Google or other links and the domain name and TLD don't really matter at all...

What about .com v the emerging market of .___ ? There are a million now. If you purchase the .org/etc of a company that is well known they can claim it, can they not? I defer on these matters entirely. It's all interesting to me. I've seen commercials for .mom here in Delaware. The name altright.com would go for far more than altright.me, why is that, if it doesn't matter?

Tangentially, why are many of the obscure .orgs priced higher than the .coms while others, with examples given above, sell the .com for $3,000 and the .org for $8.99?

What about .com v the emerging market of .___ ? There are a million now. If you purchase the .org/etc of a company that is well known they can claim it, can they not? I defer on these matters entirely. It's all interesting to me. I've seen commercials for .mom here in Delaware. The name altright.com would go for far more than altright.me, why is that, if it doesn't matter?

Tangentially, why are many of the obscure .orgs priced higher than the .coms while others, with examples given above, sell the .com for $3,000 and the .org for $8.99?

If the name is trademarked, the trademark owner can claim it through legal means.  Typically, the companies take them so someone can't imitate them for security reasons.  But that goes back to my point.  Usually, people are generally going to find your site through search engines or other links.  Only well-known companies are generally typed into browsers by people and a number of companies don't have their company name as their domain names.

.com domains used to mean that your site was a commercial site while .org meant it was an organization (non-profit or otherwise) of some sort.  Those lines have sort of been made fuzzy since people got so used to everything they knew being .com.  That's typically why the .com TLD carries a higher premium, but unless you're a big corporation, it probably doesn't mean all that much to you.