Merrill Lynch BofA CC ......$500 cash or 1k travel after just 3k spent

FISHHEAD

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Aaah...maybe that's why.

One old one that I have not used in years.

You should get the gold card. That's a great sign up bonus, at least it was 50,000 miles/points, and I think they waive the annual fee on that one first year. It's more of a charge card, so it's easier to get I hear. I have three AMEX cards now I think, but will probably cancel the gold card when the year is up.

You should get the gold card. That's a great sign up bonus, at least it was 50,000 miles/points, and I think they waive the annual fee on that one first year. It's more of a charge card, so it's easier to get I hear. I have three AMEX cards now I think, but will probably cancel the gold card when the year is up.

I just cancelled an old Macys/Amex card that I've not used. I think the gold card is just 30-35K points now. Will wait on it.

Also cancelled my Chase Freedom...way too many cards.

• 2 months later...

I messed up guys, I think i missed the spend requirement on my B of A by $5.00. I don't know exactly when they sent it, but looks like I may have been a few days late. Sad because went way over on others I used...not like I couldn't have spent on this one..just wasn't organized.

What are the odds they take mercy on me? I'm guessing not good.

I messed up guys, I think i missed the spend requirement on my B of A by $5.00. I don't know exactly when they sent it, but looks like I may have been a few days late. Sad because went way over on others I used...not like I couldn't have spent on this one..just wasn't organized.

What are the odds they take mercy on me? I'm guessing not good.

Get a human on the phone and I'd say your odds are 50% they make an exception. It is all automated, otherwise I'd give it 75%.

Get a human on the phone and I'd say your odds are 50% they make an exception. It is all automated, otherwise I'd give it 75%.

I got a human. He was not helpful

They are going by the date the account was approved which was January 24. On the 90th day I had spent $995. By day 92 I had spent over the 1000 required.

If I call back to plead my case, maybe I'll say I thought it started from the date the card was mailed which per their email was 1-27 and would put me in bonus. I guess somewhere in the FinePrint it probably says that it's from the date of approval, not the date they send it, but I was just $5 away regardless. Ultimately I'm mad at myself because I really try to track those things closely, but time got away from me on that one I guess.

I will call back, so if anyone has any thoughts on how to best plead my case, feel free to chime in.

I got a human. He was not helpful

They are going by the date the account was approved which was January 24. On the 90th day I had spent $995. By day 92 I had spent over the 1000 required.

If I call back to plead my case, maybe I'll say I thought it started from the date the card was mailed which per their email was 1-27 and would put me in bonus. I guess somewhere in the FinePrint it probably says that it's from the date of approval, not the date they send it, but I was just $5 away regardless. Ultimately I'm mad at myself because I really try to track those things closely, but time got away from me on that one I guess.

I will call back, so if anyone has any thoughts on how to best plead my case, feel free to chime in.

I would threaten to cancel the card and go through with it if they don't give you a break on the amount. That will probably be enough to get it.

I would threaten to cancel the card and go through with it if they don't give you a break on the amount. That will probably be enough to get it.

I called back and this time got a girl who was very sympathetic to what I was saying. I told her I had the email from Bank of America that said card going out on 1-27 and I assumed that was when the clock started. Even if you go to the approval date, I was only five dollars away and I spent another $55 two days later which was a day shy of the 90 days from the card being sent out. She was totally with me and she submitted a message to whoever reviews these things and said I would be getting a letter in the mail. Those always make me nervous but I guess we'll see what happens. If they don't do anything, yes I will probably cancel the card especially if there's an annual fee.

Bonus was 20k miles which roughly translates into $200 cash. There may have been something else, but I forget.

I called back and this time got a girl who was very sympathetic to what I was saying. I told her I had the email from Bank of America that said card going out on 1-27 and I assumed that was when the clock started. Even if you go to the approval date, I was only five dollars away and I spent another $55 two days later which was a day shy of the 90 days from the card being sent out. She was totally with me and she submitted a message to whoever reviews these things and said I would be getting a letter in the mail. Those always make me nervous but I guess we'll see what happens. If they don't do anything, yes I will probably cancel the card especially if there's an annual fee.

Bonus was 20k miles which roughly translates into $200 cash. There may have been something else, but I forget.

You just have to get the right person. Another method is to escalate to a supervisor. I used to work customer service so know all the tricks.

You just have to get the right person. Another method is to escalate to a supervisor. I used to work customer service so know all the tricks.

Yes I was prepared to escalate to a supervisor if she was not sympathetic. She seemed to be very, and I could hear her type in the message to whoever, so I guess they will review my account and let me know.

Yes I was prepared to escalate to a supervisor if she was not sympathetic. She seemed to be very, and I could hear her type in the message to whoever, so I guess they will review my account and let me know.

If not, you can make one more run at it. Escalate. Threaten to cancel with the supervisor and if they deny then you have lost but gave it your best try.

So I got denial of the rewards points letter back from B of A. I understand there have to be deadlines, but this is some b.s. Given the specifics. I doubt anyone even read the details of the message she submitted, as the letter was totally generic.

Not sure it is worth the time to call again, or just let it go and cancel the card. It's not the end if the world, but $200 is $200. They probably see I haven't used the card since getting to the required spending amount, so probably figure I am a churner and they won't make any money of me. ...which would probably be true. I like to use Chase most of the time.

So I got denial of the rewards points letter back from B of A. I understand there have to be deadlines, but this is some b.s. Given the specifics. I doubt anyone even read the details of the message she submitted, as the letter was totally generic.

Not sure it is worth the time to call again, or just let it go and cancel the card. It's not the end if the world, but $200 is $200. They probably see I haven't used the card since getting to the required spending amount, so probably figure I am a churner and they won't make any money of me. ...which would probably be true. I like to use Chase most of the time.

You really have to take the hit on it. It is worth another try. But you screwed it up.