Retirement thread

rito

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on age. I'm 37 and have a 7 year old. I wouldn't retire unless I could live entirely off the divufends and interest. If I was 60 it'd be way less.

Obviously you need a bigger number the younger you are

I am currently 53

Gonna quit the rat race in 2-3 years

Probably 2 million for me, admittedly thought about this a lot. Fiancée and I have no kids and live relatively simply. We like to travel and go out 3-4 times a week, but not really into cars or material possessions.

She has a nice 401k and other investments, I don't have much other than a decent amount of cash that I use as a bankroll for multiple pursuits.

I stand to inherit some money, which has probably led to me being lazy with my own assets. Money has never really meant very much to me, and it's a character flaw. I've always had enough to live comfortably, never too much or too little to have any real drive to make more.

I hate working, especially the last couple places I've been. To me these people are murdering my time and hours, yet I still remain. Have only worked at 2 places the 15+ years I've lived in Vegas, I hate the stress of change. My skills are limited as well, work in finance but don't have any type of accounting degree or any real talent in it either. I survive based on my people skills and perceived loyalty.

It's sad but when I'm having a particularly bad day at work I will go to the Gold Coast or Rio at lunch and throw a couple hundred at Megabucks in hopes of hitting so I don't have to go back.

Probably 2 million for me, admittedly thought about this a lot. Fiancée and I have no kids and live relatively simply. We like to travel and go out 3-4 times a week, but not really into cars or material possessions.

She has a nice 401k and other investments, I don't have much other than a decent amount of cash that I use as a bankroll for multiple pursuits.

I stand to inherit some money, which has probably led to me being lazy with my own assets. Money has never really meant very much to me, and it's a character flaw. I've always had enough to live comfortably, never too much or too little to have any real drive to make more.

I hate working, especially the last couple places I've been. To me these people are murdering my time and hours, yet I still remain. Have only worked at 2 places the 15+ years I've lived in Vegas, I hate the stress of change. My skills are limited as well, work in finance but don't have any type of accounting degree or any real talent in it either. I survive based on my people skills and perceived loyalty.

It's sad but when I'm having a particularly bad day at work I will go to the Gold Coast or Rio at lunch and throw a couple hundred at Megabucks in hopes of hitting so I don't have to go back.

"I hate working, especially the last couple places I've been. To me these people are murdering my time and hours, yet I still remain. Have only worked at 2 places the 15+ years I've lived in Vegas, I hate the stress of change. My skills are limited as well, work in finance but don't have any type of accounting degree or any real talent in it either. I survive based on my people skills and perceived loyalty."

Sounds strikingly similar to me.

I think finance /accounting people who have soft skills will become more valuable when a lot of the data entry type stuff/ analytical stuff is automated. You'll still need people to make sure things are running smoothly and to communicate with other departments.

"I hate working, especially the last couple places I've been. To me these people are murdering my time and hours, yet I still remain. Have only worked at 2 places the 15+ years I've lived in Vegas, I hate the stress of change. My skills are limited as well, work in finance but don't have any type of accounting degree or any real talent in it either. I survive based on my people skills and perceived loyalty."

Sounds strikingly similar to me.

I think finance /accounting people who have soft skills will become more valuable when a lot of the data entry type stuff/ analytical stuff is automated. You'll still need people to make sure things are running smoothly and to communicate with other departments.

You and I living proof accounting managers do not need accounting degrees.

I just kind of fell into it from working at my family business. Had I been forced to rely on my political science degree would've probably been stuck bagging groceries at this point. Thank God I was blessed with people skills, understanding and surviving office politics very underrated.

Funny/sad that at the end of the run for a working class stiff like some of us, we have to yearn for it to end which means growing older in the process.......I can't wait to retire but that puts my from 48 to 55..... Good and not good at the same time.....I still feel young and act young but don't want to Want for 55 so I can retire.....tangled web

Funny/sad that at the end of the run for a working class stiff like some of us, we have to yearn for it to end which means growing older in the process.......I can't wait to retire but that puts my from 48 to 55..... Good and not good at the same time.....I still feel young and act young but don't want to Want for 55 so I can retire.....tangled web

Feel exactly the same. Want it all to be over with but that means being too old to really enjoy it.

You and I living proof accounting managers do not need accounting degrees.

I just kind of fell into it from working at my family business. Had I been forced to rely on my political science degree would've probably been stuck bagging groceries at this point. Thank God I was blessed with people skills, understanding and surviving office politics very underrated.

I actually got a start in accounting based indirectly from my family business as well.

Was working doing a random job at a start up. They told us our checks would be delayed due to the AP person getting fired and the accounting manager didn't know how to do it in Quick Books. I'd worked over the summer in high school entering crap into quick books for my dads accountant so I offered to help. Got hired on as an AP clerk the next week. 16 years later and I'm still doing accounting.

You need to go on a two (2) year mission.  Save every fucking penny.  I mean, give yourself a few hundred a month allowance to keep the gambling juices flowing.  But outside of that SAVE.  Then fucking go for something.  Move.  Travel.  Start a business.  Whatever.  Save up 30k or whatever and just make a change...

$1300 a month.

I'm officially retired @50.

Gave up my commercial drivers license and will never drive a truck again. 

I am perfectly fine with just existing (in terms of finances). 

The key for me here is lack of desire. I don't desire luxury or "things" and therefore don't need money to buy them.

I'm surrounded by money in my family. I have a very rich cousin here in Windsor - he owns a steel company that sells to the big 3 in Detroit.

My parents are very well off due to cashing in on the real estate market. I suppose that if I outlive my parents there will be a sizeable estate, but that won't make me happy as the money won't really be needed for anything.

I have lost interest in travelling. All my passports are expired. I don't know what I would do with money because most things bore me.

I'm content/happy taking it easy, sleeping in, watching TV, betting, hanging around the forums, hanging out with my cat, drinking beer etc.

Dear Plommer,

i believe that i have the hang of your personality and i think that i understand it a lot now.  To me you think that you are very happy but deep down in the bottom scheme of things there is something missing in all the things that you listed.  

Being that you are about 10 years more than me, gym should be on your list and i believe that people your age should set a good example for people around mine.  

Remember when i stole daniel cormier's quote to jon jones by asking you to get your shit together?  It was during the time that you were going to the doctor or whatever and it did not feel good on my end so i went stealing on that quote.  It's very possible that you think i was drunk at the time when i said that, thought i was crazy for saying what i said at that time, but no my heart and brain meant it.

It sounds like you are doing really good man and that you are happy but i think that you should take a junior dos santos approach to your health.  That is to meet your health right in the center of the world, point your finger at the ground and be pro-active about it.

I would not be surprised if you told me that you have been eating a lot better from that last time that you went to the doctors but this is not enough for me.  Exercise and nutrition go very hand in hand with each other so i hope that i inspire you to not only add gym to your ultimate list but to be consistent about it.  

Plommer i believe in real friends, not fake friends.  A real friend is always going to for 1 thing try and advance their other friends when the time calls for it. 

But you know what i know you and a lot of people are going to be really lazy about going for fitness.  You might even have a legitimate excuse of not being able to run on the treadmill but there's always a way around any roadblock for example go in the swimming pool for your cardio if you don't like jogging.

Bottom line plommer is that i saw your list and felt compelled to step up and be a real friend trying to advance you in life slash help you be proactive

THANK YOU

800K should be able to make close to 30K(safely) without reducing the principal,If your house is paid for and assuming  you dont live forever, 800 is plenty.

Well if you are including house on top of that, it's more like 1 million net...but I don't know how you assume you are going to live forever. I just have always read that you need very minimum of 1 million at retirement age...more than likely 2 million....and that's at retirement age.

Take your house property tax and insurance off that plus all the upkeep of the home,....one need to replace roof or something, and half your yearly income could be wiped out in any given year. Plus you're paying taxes on that income. So it's not as if you're getting 30 K to live on. Trust me, I would love to believe you. . I just have worked the retirement calculators enough to know that I don't think it's enough. Seems like it should be, but added expenses always turn up. Plus you're not accounting for inflation.

What you hit assisted-living you're looking at at least 45,000 per year – nursing home over 100 grand a year.

And then also, I don't know how you make safely over 4% these days. I mean truly safe.

800K should be able to make close to 30K(safely) without reducing the principal,If your house is paid for and assuming  you dont live forever, 800 is plenty.

If you have no kids, and never want to travel and have health insurance and live in bumfuck nowhere then maybe.  But, I'm looking for 30k a month income not year.

Guest pocketrockets

Also probably make a couple of big moves shipping coke to europe with some fruit company that sends canned goods to uk or germany... so i can triple up... i have the contacts just dont have the resources