What is the situation with PATs in the NFL?

Guest ChrisHarvard

Guest ChrisHarvard

Are they still kicking the standard point after attempt FG this season?

The league messing around with this is going to make the NFL unbettable and unbeatable.

Are they going to decide PAT's based on length of kick?

20 yds- 1 point

30 yds- 2 points

35 yds- 3 points

That's a joke, but shit, might as well. :doh

Guest ChrisHarvard

The idea is a TD is worth 2 FG's plus 1 point. If they take away the easy extra 1 point and make it a 50/50 then we will see a lot more FGs on 4th downs. Which is bogus.

They already did in week 3 of exhibitions' date=' and in regular season 2014 it will be as it's always been, from the 3. . Based on the feedback of the longer PAT in weeks 1 and 2, they might change the rule in 2015. Feedback generally was positive, unlike the other shit the NFL did in the exhibitions. [/quote']

yeah I don't mind this too much, the XP , can'y say the same for the 'illegal contact' BS that they're going to the extreme on.

Don't see the productivity in this..is already an overly passing league as it is, in my opinion.

Maybe the younger generation needs to have their buttons pushed constantly and see big plays and arena -style football scores,..which wouldn't surprise me.

Also they need to start putting more FG kickers and punters in the hall-of-fame, maybe especially even more nowif they implement the 30 yard XP in 2015 and in the future. The kicking game is has always been extremely important part of the game, especially since the number of plays has been decreased from line of scrimmage had been decreased in the NFL, for quite a while now

I liked the longer PAT's in the first 2 weeks of preseason' date=' they should kick from the 30 for 1 point all season long.[/quote']

I like the concept too as it will add some skill level to the XP. Also, TD celebration penalties will seriously threaten the XP, which could act as a deterrent to end zone antics.

I like the concept too as it will add some skill level to the XP. Also, TD celebration penalties will seriously threaten the XP, which could act as a deterrent to end zone antics.

YES!

Forgot about that. Good point.

Would also like to see a penalty for players calling for a penalty by using the flag throwing motion.

It is a penalty in the CFL.

I like the longer PATs. As Belicheck kept arguing the point was not to be a free point with no competitive purpose to it. If that is the case just make the TD worth 7 and you can choose to go for 2 if you want and risk the 7th point. But the point should be easy enough but not a 99% gimmie

I'll be shocked if the longer PAT's aren't implemented for the start of the 2015 season. The audition this preseason went well, was well received and should be the standard starting next year

Change is good gentlemen. Embrace it.

If the NFL thinks the extra point is too easy then just make all TD's worth 7pts and be done with them...messing with the length makes no sense. make a extra pt longer and you could have a team kick a 3pt FG that is closer than the 1pt extra pt?

Not sure I agree with the argument because some field goals are already as short as XPs. But I agree if there is no change in distance, then just add the XP to each TD automatically.

Guest ChrisHarvard
If the NFL thinks the extra point is too easy then just make all TD's worth 7pts and be done with them...messing with the length makes no sense. make a extra pt longer and you could have a team kick a 3pt FG that is closer than the 1pt extra pt?

This is sort of my point also. A TD is supposed to be worth (2) FGS + 1 point. If you take away the seemingly easy 1 point, than a TD potentially only equals (2) FGs

• 2 weeks later...