Jose Quintana traded to the Cubs

Timely Hitting

Trust me, south and west of downtown is mainly Sox fans. They have all of the SW suburbs east to Michigan.

South for sure.  West?  Out here the dopes love any team that's winning.  10 years ago never saw blackhawks anything, now can't go anywhere on a night when the hawks play, because the bars are filled with those assholes.  Same thing goes for cubs.  I'm pretty sure if Sox and Cubs made the playoffs, the bars out west would be filled up with cubs more often than sox fans.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

South for sure.  West?  Out here the dopes love any team that's winning.  10 years ago never saw blackhawks anything, now can't go anywhere on a night when the hawks play, because the bars are filled with those assholes.  Same thing goes for cubs.  I'm pretty sure if Sox and Cubs made the playoffs, the bars out west would be filled up with cubs more often than sox fans.

IDK. I know in Oak Park and River Forest there are more Sox fans than Cub fans; not sure about further out west.

I have always said the city/suburb divide is probably around 52/48 (Cubs/Sox), but the Cubs have a stronghold on Iowa/Central Illinois/Southern Wisconsin and the rest of the country. People think the Cubs have some strong hold on the city and dominate that area though, and they really don't. They definitely have more fans at this point - especially following the World Series - but it's not as dramatic as some think.

South for sure. West? Out here the dopes love any team that's winning. 10 years ago never saw blackhawks anything, now can't go anywhere on a night when the hawks play, because the bars are filled with those assholes. Same thing goes for cubs. I'm pretty sure if Sox and Cubs made the playoffs, the bars out west would be filled up with cubs more often than sox fans.

Sox fans west would be the ones close to the city, probably 290 west to 294 south.

Guys, please, just stop. The White Sux suck and have no fans, it's why the Organization has almost folded twice in the last 25 years. Their fluke WS win in 2005 literally saved the franchise from extinction, so you Sux fans should just be happy your team even exists and stop peddling in lies. FW's and timely's notion that Chi-Town is basically 50/50 Cubs/Sux is ABSURD

Chi-Town: 85/15 Cubs/Sux

IDK. I know in Oak Park and River Forest there are more Sox fans than Cub fans; not sure about further out west.

I have always said the city/suburb divide is probably around 52/48 (Cubs/Sox), but the Cubs have a stronghold on Iowa/Central Illinois/Southern Wisconsin and the rest of the country. People think the Cubs have some strong hold on the city and dominate that area though, and they really don't. They definitely have more fans at this point - especially following the World Series - but it's not as dramatic as some think.

I'm sure you have a better grasp being in a bar and probably play both cubs and sox games. I rarely see a sox hat or shirt but 90% of the time I'll see multiple cubs stuff especially when they're playing.

I'm sure you have a better grasp being in a bar and probably play both cubs and sox games. I rarely see a sox hat or shirt but 90% of the time I'll see multiple cubs stuff especially when they're playing.

Where I am, there's way more Cub fans. North shore and north Suburbs is probably 65/35 if not more. 

I see a lot of Sox stuff closer to where I love though; although right now, not much to wear or celebrate yet. When they were good - when any team is good - you see a lot more gear though. The Chicago way. 

Where I am, there's way more Cub fans. North shore and north Suburbs is probably 65/35 if not more. 

I see a lot of Sox stuff closer to where I love though; although right now, not much to wear or celebrate yet. When they were good - when any team is good - you see a lot more gear though. The Chicago way. 

North suburbs are like 90/10 Cubs

West (Elmhurst, Oak Brook, Downers Grove, Naperville) 70/30

City is 65/35

You guys have Orland Park though, so that's cool

LOL

timely/FW buried

Seriously though...Anyone trying to make the argument that the motherfuckin' Chicago White Sox are even in the same STRATOSPHERE as the Cubs in terms of popularity- both in Chicago and around the nation- is embarrassing themselves

Not even close but OK.

One of the weirdest things cub fans brag about. Who cares who roots for who? So odd.

Not bragging.  Don't care.  Just stating what I believe to be fact.

One thing I do get a kick out of though is Sox fans calling Cubs fans fair weather.  Wrigley selling out decade after decade and gear everywhere with 100-loss teams.  75% of Sox gear disappeared shortly after 2005.

One thing I do get a kick out of though is Sox fans calling Cubs fans fair weather.  Wrigley selling out decade after decade and gear everywhere with 100-loss teams.  75% of Sox gear disappeared shortly after 2005.

Decade after decade? Were you asleep in the 90's and 80's; 70's, 60's etc etc?  :scratch

Also, no clue the source or accuracy of this, but pretty much states exactly what FW and I were saying:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/24/upshot/facebook-baseball-map.html?_r=0#8,41.925,-86.800

I guess that's based on facebook data from those zipcodes. More Sox fans in the city and the West/South Suburbs. But a lot more Cub fans in the north suburbs and further surrounding areas. 

It's tough being right so often.

Also, no clue the source or accuracy of this, but pretty much states exactly what FW and I were saying:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/24/upshot/facebook-baseball-map.html?_r=0#8,41.925,-86.800

Sorry brah, NYT has been PROVEN to be Fake News

ZERO chance I even clicked that link let alone read the article.

ZERO chance anythingnin that article is true

I guess that's based on facebook data from those zipcodes. More Sox fans in the city and the West/South Suburbs. But a lot more Cub fans in the north suburbs and further surrounding areas. 

It's tough being right so often.

Yeah Wrigleyville is 44% Cubs fans and 30% Sox fans.  Sounds legit.

Guys, please, just stop. The White Sux suck and have no fans, it's why the Organization has almost folded twice in the last 25 years. Their fluke WS win in 2005 literally saved the franchise from extinction, so you Sux fans should just be happy your team even exists and stop peddling in lies. FW's and timely's notion that Chi-Town is basically 50/50 Cubs/Sux is ABSURD

Chi-Town: 85/15 Cubs/Sux

You live 2000 miles from Chicago but know it's 85/15? Ok.

The Cubs outdrew the Yankees in the 90s..

The Cubs outdrew the White Sox in the aughts by over 9MM - despite your "decade of dominance".  

Who said anything about outdrawing? 

You said they had sell out after sell out. That's wrong.

"Decade of dominance?" White Sox were better in the 90's than the 2000's - they just won a title in the 2000's. Believe the Sox won the 3rd most games in the decade in the 90's. Who said a "decade of dominance?" 

White Sox drew fine in the early 90's - better than nearly every team in baseball. Reinsdorf was a big reason for the strike in '94 and there were a lot of pissed off fans. They lost a lot of attendance after the strike year.

Once again though, who cares? Such a weird argument and has never made sense. Do you root for the Cubs because more people in Iowa like them? do you root for them because tourists visit Wrigley Field in droves? Such a bizarre thing to take pride in; couldn't care less if anyone else rooted for a team I enjoyed.