Sammy Sosa

Guest boatboatboat

I remember the story breaking in 2013

http://www.medicaldaily.com/sammy-sosa-ex-baseball-star-continues-skin-bleaching-appears-downright-256469

Sammy Sosa, Ex-Baseball Star, Continues Skin Bleaching; Appears 'Downright Vampiric' [PHOTOS]  

Sep 11, 2013 05:21 PM

Sammy Sosa, the former Chicago Cubs slugger who had a 13-year run with a team-record of 545 home runs and three seasons of 60-plus homers, is in the limelight again, and not for using performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs). Sosa's recent television appearance in Panama was captured by Panamanian TV personality Nairobi Dacosta, who uploaded a photo on her Twitter of the former Major League Baseball (MLB) player looking "downright vampiric," NESN reports.

The ex-Cubs slugger, who originally had a medium-to-dark skin tone, was said to be sporting a completely new complexion — white. Sosa was previously thought to have a skin condition that caused this drastic change in his face pigmentation. The former athlete's "new face" was first spotted in the 2009 Latin Grammys in Las Vegas when Sosa showed up to the awards show with a lighter visage. The dramatic change in pigmentation had baseball fans, sports commentators, dermatologists, and cultural analysts wonder what could have been the cause of the skin condition, says Time. But it turns out it was all cosmetic.

Sosa and McGwire

I remember collecting newspaper clippings the summer of '98.

Saw two of McGwire's home runs in person that year.  1 in Phoenix and the other in San Diego at Jack Murphy.  The one in San Diego was a first inning grand slam.  

He hit a ball completely out of the stadium during batting practice in PHX before that game.  I think he's the only one to ever do it.