Roger Goodell: ‘We Need to Move Past the Anthem Controversy’

Cop

That news coming from NFL Spokesman Joe Lockhart, who confirmed on a Tuesday conference call, that the league would be addressing the matter next week.

Commissioner Goodell sent out a memo to league personnel, reinforcing that anthem conduct will be discussed. Goodell said in the memo, “We live in a country that can feel very divided. Sports, and especially the NFL, brings people together and lets them set aside those divisions, at least for a few hours. The current dispute over the National Anthem is threatening to erode the unifying power of our game, and is now dividing us, and our players, from many fans across the country.

“I’m very proud of our players and owners who have done the hard work over the past year to listen, understand and attempt to address the underlying issues within their communities. At our September committee meetings, we heard directly from several players about why these issues are so important to them and how we can support their work. And last week, we met with the leadership of the NFLPA and more players to advance the dialogue.”

Goodell continued:

Like many of our fans, we believe that everyone should stand for the National Anthem. It is an important moment in our game. We want to honor our flag and our country, and our fans expect that of us. We also care deeply about our players and respect their opinions and concerns about critical social issues. The controversy over the Anthem is a barrier to having honest conversations and making real progress on the underlying issues. We need to move past this controversy, and we want to do that together with our players.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Like many of our fans, we believe that everyone should stand for the National Anthem. It is an important moment in our game. We want to honor our flag and our country, and our fans expect that of us"

If Goodell wasnt a fking moron this would have been policy for over a year then none of this bs would be going on and people could not watch the games because they fucking suck.

the ratings argument sure is a funny one. ratings have been dropping for multiple years for a plethora of reasons. gooddell is just alienating more people now because he lets this go on for so long, and now he's about to lose people from both sides of the aisle as well as pissing off a lot of players. RIP NFL.

Should have nipped it right from start. He let it get to point that the whiners from both sides were deciding the issue.

Should have nipped it right from start. He let it get to point that the whiners from both sides were deciding the issue.

sure, and now people hate him on both sides. he's a moron.

regardless, i'm not sure when the national anthem became the military anthem anyway. it's the american anthem... for all americans. this extreme patriotism nonsense is dangerous, and absurd. as i said, serving doesn't make you more american than me.

patriotism and nationalism to an extreme degree - such as this - is dangerous and historically has terrible repercussions. history tends to repeat itself which is the scary thing about this.

regardless, i'm not sure when the national anthem became the military anthem anyway. it's the american anthem... for all americans. this extreme patriotism nonsense is dangerous, and absurd. as i said, serving doesn't make you more american than me.

patriotism and nationalism to an extreme degree - such as this - is dangerous and historically has terrible repercussions. history tends to repeat itself which is the scary thing about this.

Like I've stated I don't care one way or another on this, but having your players stand during the National Anthem is hardly extreme anything.

Like I've stated I don't care one way or another on this, but having your players stand during the National Anthem is hardly extreme anything.

trumps patriotic rhetoric has always been dangerous. i've stood by that forever. he turned this isn't an american/troop hating/anti-patriotic display instead of what it really was. trump threatening a business by claiming a lack of patriotism is the dangerous part; not the actual standing or sitting... although this seems to be more divisive than uniting.

trump's nationalist and patriotic provocations are not good imo, and if history tells us anything it's that usually this doesn't end well. i hope i'm wrong, but it's always been the most bothersome thing about trump to me. i'm every bit as american as the next person in this country.

The real danger is kids and young adults coming up that think like you do.