Worst coaching Decision in Super Bowl History

richsox24

Anyone who tries to rationalize the play calling is a fucking moron. Best short yardage back in NFL History. Belicheck not calling a timeout after the 1 n goal call was AS BAD AS THE PLAY CALL.

You have lynch 2 more x... he gets stopp 2x... then u throw 4 n goal

Impossible to throw on 4th down because if they run twice and get stopped the clock runs out before they can get another snap off.

Assuming you want to get the most out of your 4 plays they had to throw on either 2nd or 3rd down. They threw on 2nd down. Didn't work out. Nothing wrong with the call though

They had one timeout. But that was enough for three running plays with the best short yardage back in the NFL. First play doesn't work then they call a timeout with 22 seconds left. Then they can probably still run two more running plays. There is almost no upside to throwing a crossing route into a defense stacked at the line. Just beyond terrible. I feel really bad for Seahawks backers. Just a gun in the mouth ending.

I would have run also but it's not as bad as people are making it out to be

You run the ball there and you get stopped and you have what, like 15-20 seconds left and no timeouts? You would have to pass on third down and then on fourth down if you still havent made it could decide run/pass

If you do a quick pass on 2nd you still have the run/pass option for both third and fourth down, leaving more options and making yourself harder to defend. The play at first looked to be there also. Comes down to simply trusting your QB to not make a mistake and Russell Wilson did. They are talking about making Wilson the highest paid player in the NFL. If someone is going to be the highest paid guy in the league then he should be someone you can count on to make the right play in that spot

Again, i would have run just because I would have been confident in Lynch scoring on that play but there is clear rationale behind the decision of the Seahawks to pass. Too many people here living too much in the moment and overreacting to the result. If they run and get stuffed 3 yards behind the line 100% guaranteed everyone here and on twitter would be calling the decision stupid because Pats knew it was coming and easy to stop. Everyone is a genius after the fact

The worst play call in NFL history.....Lombardi and Bart Starr would have seen the light.....

They had one timeout. But that was enough for three running plays with the best short yardage back in the NFL. First play doesn't work then they call a timeout with 22 seconds left. Then they can probably still run two more running plays. There is almost no upside to throwing a crossing route into a defense stacked at the line. Just beyond terrible. I feel really bad for Seahawks backers. Just a gun in the mouth ending.

i did see some giggling PAcker fans leaving the bar tonight!

i did see some giggling PAcker fans leaving the bar tonight!

Indeed. A lot of random shit had to happen in the last two years for the Seahawks to get there twice. Maybe their luck has run out. That team has some holes. Not giving the ball to their best offensive player with three chances to score could be the closest they come to winning another Super Bowl in the next decade.

Belichek not calling a time out seemed stupid but that almost confused Seattle..... I have no clue what the reasoning of New England was not calling a timeout but it caused Seattle to use the full 40 seconds which effected their play call. If they would have called a running play on 2nd down and snapped with 40 seconds left (would have been 30 seconds gone on the play clock) then they could easily call a timeout with 35 seconds left if they did not score a touchdown.

Calling a slant was a stupid idea. You know that the secondary is going to bite and defend the goal line receivers. You see teams expose this flaw by having the WR on the opposite side of the field roll in behind and cross the back endzone and get thrown an easy pass wide open. As well, if you think New England is expecting the run they are going to clog the middle, so why are you throwing down the middle?

Whoever is responsible for that play call lost the superbowl for Seattle. I'm not saying it was a guarantee for Seattle to win if they ran the ball on 2nd down but it is much more likely than throwing a slant on 2nd down.

There are literally 100 plays in their playbook that are better suited in that situation.

Belichek not calling a time out seemed stupid but that almost confused Seattle..... I have no clue what the reasoning of New England was not calling a timeout but it caused Seattle to use the full 40 seconds which effected their play call. If they would have called a running play on 2nd down and snapped with 40 seconds left (would have been 30 seconds gone on the play clock) then they could easily call a timeout with 35 seconds left if they did not score a touchdown.

Calling a slant was a stupid idea. You know that the secondary is going to bite and defend the goal line receivers. You see teams expose this flaw by having the WR on the opposite side of the field roll in behind and cross the back endzone and get thrown an easy pass wide open. As well, if you think New England is expecting the run they are going to clog the middle, so why are you throwing down the middle?

Whoever is responsible for that play call lost the superbowl for Seattle. I'm not saying it was a guarantee for Seattle to win if they ran the ball on 2nd down but it is much more likely than throwing a slant on 2nd down.

There are literally 100 plays in their playbook that are better suited in that situation.

Yep. They lost because of arrogance. Like they were entitled to win.

Sherman trashtalking Revis for the cameras during the game because the ref set a pick on him. Shit like that just set the table. NE outplayed them for 3 quarters so better team won the game. Just feel so bad for people who bet the Seahawks. How soul crushing.

Sherman trashtalking Revis for the TV cameras because Baldwin scored a TD on the pick play with the ref is the thing that really annoyed me about the game.

Here's the box score on Baldwin.

1 Rec. 3 Yards. 1 TD.

Good going playing on one side of the field. Revis is the best cornerback in the NFL. Hope we get more Revis Island ads next year instead of dumb soup commercials with Sherman.

The blame goes on Carroll. He made it clear after the game on his decision to throw there instead of giving it to Beast Mode. He didn't think the rookie CB would make that play. Incomplete he planned to call TO and try running on 3rd and 4th down. They only had 20 seconds. What if they caught the TD? Would Carroll look like a genius? They were lucky Kearse magically caught that batted ball.

In Tampa we call that pulling a "Gruden". Trying to make the low % play in hopes someone calls you a genius.

Tripp, you're way off base, there is no defending that shit. Absolutely 1000% boneheaded call. Even the talking heads couldn't think of a way to put lipstick on that pig.

You got one of the games youngest and most overrated QB's, the NFL's toughest RB at the 1 foot yard and you throw an inside slant over the middle?

We saw what happened. And if that didn't happen the ball is easily tipped up in the air and picked. WTF?

If you must throw, throw an out so the receiver makes the play or no one on defense can make it. You can't risk a turnover down there with a Lombardi on the line?

That's not the time to be cute.

And if it's completed for a TD give Brady a few more ticks to get down the field for a tying FG?

With 1 timeout, with 2/3 timeouts, with ZERO timeouts, you give the ball to the beast for the last foot.

Absolutely ridiculous call (and execution). Worst call I can remember in a long long time in that big of a situation.

Carroll wanted his QB to win the MVP and not Lynch since he doesn't talk to the Media and embarrass the team.

I'll never look at Pete Carroll the same, even that would be idiotic IMO. Deciding a SuperBowl title based on who he wants talking to the media?

That explanation though make as much sense as any.

Some calls I find myself at least understanding it, even when they don't work. I can't get there with this one.

If not picked, or tipped up in the air over the middle of the field and so on.....

Best case scenario it's a TD. Even then you give Brady maximum seconds to get close enough to kick a game tying FG. Doesn't take him long.

Why not give it to the toughest back in the NFL from the 1 foot yard?

I didn't even bet the side, not pissed Seattle lost, I just think that was perhaps the most boneheaded call I've ever seen.

Wow. I taped it and just got done about 1/2 ago, still can't believe they threw it all away from the 1 foot line, literally.

Fuck Seattle, fuck Howard Slavin (Fail Mary replay/USC grad official), fuck 990 SAT Richard shit-talking Sherman, fuck Coach Pete, fuck anyone that bet and lost on the Seahawks. Sweet ginger brown.

hey Sherman... 24 what? 24 fucking what? GFY you overrated pos diva.