I think it's time I quit drinking

GreenDoberman

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Sandvich.  If I can be serious, how did you do it?  I know that sounds like a simple question to some, but I am legitimately puzzled since it will be a massive lifestyle change.

Green, anything is possible, if one puts their mind to it... I started drinking at the age of 16 and drinking made things more fun and a lot funnier... Drank steady 3 nights a week for years and years.. As I was approaching 50, I kept telling myself, this shit needs to stop and it's going to stop when I'm 50...

My 50th birthday landed on a Saturday and my wife had a large party planned at our home, pool party, cooking out, lawn darts etc.. The party was to start at 1pm and I was up getting shit ready at 7:30am getting shit ready with drink in hand.. My wife told me I was starting a little early and I told her "this is my last day of drinking and don't worry I'll be fine..." Fast forward to 1:30am, the folks had finally left, I was still going.. My wife was in the back yard cleaning up the mess the friends had created, I had just fixed my last drink sat down and thanked her for the best birthday I ever had... She said I can't believe you are still up, I told her seasoned veterans can do things like this...

We showered and went to bed, next morning she was going to the store and woke me to tell me I had drank everything in the house and she would replenish at the store... I told her, just buy enough for you as I am done with that chapter of my life...

That was 10.5 years ago, and I have yet to touch any type of alcohol since... We still hang with that same group of friends, they all still drink and my wife will have a drink occasionally, but not me... They ask if I could go back socially drinking, who knows, but I'm not willing to find out...

So, my advice to you GD, is set your mind to it and follow through... If not its mind over matter.. If you don't mind then it doesn't fuckin matter!!!!