St. Louis Cardinals trade for Goldschmidt

yisman

Weaver may end up as Jeremy Hellickson 2.0

Not really a good comparison.  

Weaver is younger and has far less of a MLB sample size.

These MLB trades when stars are involved almost never look fair on paper when they happen.  At least to the average fan.  

You won't be able to fairly judge this for 2-3 years.  

And the only real way the Cardinals can end up winning this trade in the end, is if they A) win a World Series in 2019 or B) they re-sign him after this season. 

Neither is a lock. 

Cardinals lose this trade unless it somehow gets them a WS in 2019.

He'll be a FA after and if they manage to re-sign him, it'll be for huge money which they could've done anyway. 

Key with trades is how long you have control of a player for. The Cardinals get one season.

Yup.  But I will slightly disagree with you if they re-sign him.  

Yes, they could have signed him next year anyway without trading for him.  But you would think they would be one of the favorites to land him if they pony up and he has a great year there.  St. Louis falls in love with their stars and he may love playing for the Cardinals.  

Didn’t Hellickson have a major arm injury before his stint in AZ?

I wasn't comparing him to Hellboy's time in AZ....I was meaning his Rays time and how he looked coming up, what was said about him, etc. 

Obv the AZ hellboy was a shell of himself and in no way would that be fair since Weaver hasn't had those injuries---just struggles. 

But if you read all the stuff that was said about each as prospects n what not, pretty similar profiles all around.

I wasn't comparing him to Hellboy's time in AZ....I was meaning his Rays time and how he looked coming up, what was said about him, etc. 

Obv the AZ hellboy was a shell of himself and in no way would that be fair since Weaver hasn't had those injuries---just struggles. 

But if you read all the stuff that was said about each as prospects n what not, pretty similar profiles all around.

Fair enough.  I think we could find much better comparisons if we thought hard enough though.  

Decent prospect pitchers the DBacks traded for when they only had a couple of years of MLB service under their belt.