Derrick Rose to undergo knee surgery.... again likely out for season

Chickadee

this isn't showing off? why was he allowed to do highlight reel dunks before games and then sit out another 6 months.

[video=youtube;g_IHwW1zNq8]

Dunking in shoot around before a game is showing off? Huh?

So because he could dunk, he should play? I'm not following.

I know it's difficult for us unathletic white guys to understand, but that is the same as a lay up line for us. That certainly wasn't a highlight real dunk... it was a 1 handed dunk before a game. He was dunking 2 months before doctors even cleared him for full contact practice.

Dunking in shoot around before a game is showing off? Huh?

So because he could dunk, he should play? I'm not following.

I know it's difficult for us unathletic white guys to understand, but that is the same as a lay up line for us. That certainly wasn't a highlight real dunk... it was a 1 handed dunk before a game. He was dunking 2 months before doctors even cleared him for full contact practice.

yes but how many other guys are dunking in pre-game warmups for a game they aren't playing in? 6 months before they are playing again?

to me that's showing off and rubbing everyone's face in it... one of those things about d-rose that has always rubbed me the wrong way, i understand how you feel differently and nothing will probably change your mind.

unless your sister was his fiancee when he was sleeping around, that might've changed your mind. or if your brother was the guy that didn't get the last scholarship to memphis because he cheated his way in. or if your cousin could've had that roster spot that d-rose was taking up all year when he knew he wasn't gonna play.

yes but how many other guys are dunking in pre-game warmups for a game they aren't playing in? 6 months before they are playing again?

to me that's showing off and rubbing everyone's face in it... one of those things about d-rose that has always rubbed me the wrong way, i understand how you feel differently and nothing will probably change your mind.

unless your sister was his fiancee when he was sleeping around, that might've changed your mind. or if your brother was the guy that didn't get the last scholarship to memphis because he cheated his way in. or if your cousin could've had that roster spot that d-rose was taking up all year when he knew he wasn't gonna play.

Nearly every person who is participating in shoot around is dunking these days... the ones that can dunk easily that is.

Don't let something rub you the wrong way that doesn't rub his own teammates the wrong way. That's all I'm saying. They see what he brings to the table everyday. I trust teammates thoughts over pretty much any other person. No one knows a player like his teammates and coaches.

As for the scholarship comment - if you're getting a D-1 offer to play for Coach Cal at Memphis, you're not struggling to find a place elsewhere. Also, you're blaming the wrong person for that... blame the NCAA for their absurd policies - don't blame a kid doing everything he can to put himself in a position to provide for his family.

Also, Rose didn't take up a "roster spot" on the Bulls. So not quite sure what that means. That's not really how the NBA injury policy works.

Nearly every person who is participating in shoot around is dunking these days... the ones that can dunk easily that is.

Don't let something rub you the wrong way that doesn't rub his own teammates the wrong way. That's all I'm saying. They see what he brings to the table everyday. I trust teammates thoughts over pretty much any other person. No one knows a player like his teammates and coaches.

As for the scholarship comment - if you're getting a D-1 offer to play for Coach Cal at Memphis, you're not struggling to find a place elsewhere. Also, you're blaming the wrong person for that... blame the NCAA for their absurd policies - don't blame a kid doing everything he can to put himself in a position to provide for his family.

Also, Rose didn't take up a "roster spot" on the Bulls. So not quite sure what that means. That's not really how the NBA injury policy works.

good points. my only counter is that we really don't know what his teammates and coaches are thinking, just what they say publicly which might just be pr... some reports in the past have said that they were frustrated with his antics

good points. my only counter is that we really don't know what his teammates and coaches are thinking, just what they say publicly which might just be pr... some reports in the past have said that they were frustrated with his antics

Absolutely. Most of what comes out is "team speak" (at least I call it that) which might as well be scripted. In times like last night, when the injury news was fresh and twitter blew up, those responses (in my opinion) are candid and truthful. There is no filter. As I said in regards to Deng - Deng could have just said "that's brutal news. he's been through a lot" but he wanted it to be known that he was devastated by the news, and that no one worked harder than Derrick while he (Deng) was in Chicago. Same goes for a lot of players around the league that have worked out with him during the summer and etc. The news hit a lot of guys hard, because a lot of guys seem to like Derrick and respect how hard he works. That respect isn't the same for every player - as I pointed to Dwight Howard as an example. Some guys are held to a higher respect level around the league, and that usually is because of how hard they work at their craft.

As for this discussion, it's been a solid and productive one. I don't expect, nor do I want, everyone to agree with me. That would make for boring conversation and discussion.

Timely, promise us one thing you'll never stop believing in Derrick Rose!!!

As a Cavs fan, would rather him be playing (tougher team w/o him)

Derrick Rose vs Cleveland this year:

30 points (24 shots), 7 assists, 4 rebounds, 1 steal.

18 points (14 shots) 2 assists, 1 rebound, 1 steal, 1 block

20 points (16 shots, 24 minutes) 4 assists, 4 rebounds

Don't let the facts get in the way though Deem.

Yeah, the Bulls really excelled tonight with all that ball movement....

Derrick runs that offense better than anyone else can. They were one of the best offensive units in basketball this year with him and he wasn't very efficient shooting the basketball, I would guess they'll fall to the middle of the pack without him. The ability to create your own shot in the NBA is limited and valuable. The ability to break down a defense, collapse the lane around them, and draw 3 defenders in the lane is even rarer and it is invaluable. Guys like Rose have good misses - that's a rare ability. They don't have that guy anymore. In 1/2 court offenses that really hurts - it hurts the fast break game even more. The good news is Derrick and the Bulls seem to be optimistic that he can be back by the playoffs - the injury isn't that "serious" they have said - that's the latest news.. The defense better get going.

Jimmy Butler taking on the leadership role - said tonight that defense is all effort, and they haven't played it all year. They just played offense and "you see where that got them."

Timely how would you feel if he was cleared to play by the playoffs but chooses to rehab longer?

He should do what he feels is best for him. If he opts to have it repaired and not snipped, that's up to him. Despite a HOF career, Wade has said he wished he didn't snip it as it has effected him significantly today.

As I said though, you don't get cleared for games in the nba. You get cleared for full contact. When hes ready he'll come back. No one knows his body better than him.

He should do what he feels is best for him. If he opts to have it repaired and not snipped, that's up to him. Despite a HOF career, Wade has said he wished he didn't snip it as it has effected him significantly today.

As I said though, you don't get cleared for games in the nba. You get cleared for full contact. When hes ready he'll come back. No one knows his body better than him.

well last time for the playoffs when he said he was "upper 80s" (on a % ready) he said he would wait until he was 110%

nobody said the guy was good at math... and that's an easy out since nobody can ever be 110% healthy :laugh

He was cleared for full contact which is the exact same thing as being cleared to play so I will use that term if that is OK with you. You are the biggest homer on the forums, but you are our homer. :drinking

key word in that whole scenario is COULD return in 4-6 weeks

let's get some side action going on how many regular season games d-rose plays in this season... and how many post-season games.

i think fair over/under for regular season is 1.5, and postseason is .5

I'll take the over .5 for the post season. Assuming I'll take -110 for my 550 to win your 500 paypal Boat?