OT: Vehicles - Lease v Purchase

Deemer

I lease a Chevy Equinox 12K miles/year, 24 months.  It really depends how much you drive.  I basically ran my last car into the ground and needed something easier for my mother to get in and out of if she needed to go anywhere.   I'll do it again unless my driving habits change a lot.  

If you are looking at buying, look at buying a car that just came out of a lease.  They still have the warranty and are a little cheaper to insure.

That's one of the best lease options in terms of value right now...….from a leasing standpoint.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on my 3rd straight lease in a row...so obviously I think I prefer leasing.

Yes, you always have a payment but the payment is much lower than buying, and you never have to worry about car repairs.

I've actually gone over my miles the first 2 leases but because I went back to the same dealership each time, they waived the miles overage fees. I also haven't paid for an oil change in over 6 years and have put a grand total of 0 down on each lease.

Plus I get to drive a brand new car every 3 years since I'm someone that gets sick of cars fast.

Obviously I know I'm in the minority.

Agree buying is usually the way to go. I’ve always bought 4-5 year old used cars at what I see as a steep discount due to the depreciation on cars being so heavily weighed to the first few years.

That said, looking at cars now and may consider leasing bc it’s just easier. No worries about things breaking or maintenance costs. Plus I get bored of cars quickly and rarely keep one more than 3-4 years anyways.

Also obviously as others have said, leasing is a no brainer most of the time as a business vehicle.

Just bought earlier today a 2017 toyota sienna xle limited for the wife... 27,500.

18,600 miles

Financed 3.79 for 60 months put 12,500 down..... less than 300 per month.

Gonna have a fukin car payment now. Wtf.

I expect to see true Poverty Meal contributions.

<---------------------------------------

I'm on my 3rd straight lease in a row...so obviously I think I prefer leasing.

Yes, you always have a payment but the payment is much lower than buying, and you never have to worry about car repairs.

I've actually gone over my miles the first 2 leases but because I went back to the same dealership each time, they waived the miles overage fees. I also haven't paid for an oil change in over 6 years and have put a grand total of 0 down on each lease.

Plus I get to drive a brand new car every 3 years since I'm someone that gets sick of cars fast.

Obviously I know I'm in the minority.

Sort of leaning this way

never leased.  bought 2 cars brand new.  drove the first one for 8 or 9 years, got 7 or 8K trade in on it a few years ago.  never had major expense, just oil changes and 2 sets of tires.  probably 2.5K total into it.  50 bucks an oil change 3 times a year and 800ish in tires.

bought grand cherokee, had trade in, put down 12 or 15.  paid it off in a couple years.  have put next to nothing into it and had no payments for 2 years.  could trade in now and get 13-15K for it. 

I've got friends that lease and have to rent cars if they gonna take a 500 mile road trip.  If I'm driving a fucking honda or toyota or cherokee who the fuck cares about a new car in 3 years when it's basically the same shit.  Get your shit paid off, enjoy no payments for a while then trade in when you need an expensive repair.

What this thread is proving is there are different strokes for different folks.

...................and there are PROS and CONS to every single one of them.

From a PURE FINANCIAL VALUE standpoint, in most instances, BUYING a slightly used vehicle is the best option, but pure financial value is not on the top of the list for all those seeking a vehicle.