Let's talk about Mexico

sugardaddy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen enough of Mexico to comment on whether I'd want to live there or not.Unless Tijuana counts.One of my friends is originally from somewhere in Baja and has some property south of Rosarito. Looks nice from the pictures. One of these days I'll head down there.

In 2010 we rented a beach house in Rosarito and stayed there a week. 2800 square foot house with literally every upgrade and a semi-private beach for $1100 a week seemed like a steal. For the first couple days it was just us and one family sharing the beach, after they left it was just us for the rest of the week.

The pros were the price, the beautiful house, private beach, and great local restaurants.

Cons were the tanks that rolled down the street daily with kids that looked to be about 16 manning the machine gun up top, the roaches running around the local grocery store, and the “gated community” which consisted of a drowsy guard sitting there holding a chain which he would pull tight when a car approached.

We did meet some really nice people though and it was an enjoyable time, just didn’t feel safe enough with only the two of us.

One other thing was disconcerting, I had plotted my route to the house by taking screenshots of the signage. Of course as soon as we crossed the border someone had spraypainted over the directions to Rosarito and I took a wrong turn and ended up in the middle of nowhere. We ended up in some small town which seemed a little backwards to say the least. Thankfully saw a tiny little sign with an arrow pointing towards San Diego and were able to get back on track.

Are the roaches worse than Vegas? Hard to imagine.It's a minefield at the dog park at night in the summers.

They were actually, we got some bad advice on where to pick up some simple groceries and ended up in the “locals” store. There was food on the floor that had spilled out of bags and roaches were underfoot literally everywhere. No one else seemed to notice.

You’re right about the parks here at night though, especially anywhere there’s a sewer grate I see them scampering around.

I’ve always wanted to go to Mexico. A friend of mine was there a few months ago and he said the poverty is pretty bad. All the people that lost their house on the earthquake at Mexico City live in tents in the middle of the streets however on that note I did see a lot of people living in tents at the beach at Hawaii, something that shocked me.

I did visit Tulum on a cruise and loved it so I hope I can visit Mexico for real soon.

Literally every old gambler I’ve ever known in Vegas talks about retiring in San Diego, none of them have made it yet.

Resided in Vegas roughly 30 years and have associated self with many highly successful gamblers and not a single one has ever mentioned retiring in San Diego

Their choices usually range from staying put in Nevada, moving out of country, or returning to their roots wherever that may be.