Patriots vs Titans Ten Liner

Dingo

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything comes to an end.

We've seemingly reached that point for the Patriots dynasty, and the reason why is simple: The mystique is no longer there. Brady isn't as efficient as he once was. The team's roster construction is suspect at best with the potential to get much worse. A core group of coaches and players could depart this offseason. And Brady's decision as a pending free agent is at the forefront of those gigantic question marks.

"I think we're all running out of time and chances as every year goes by," Brady told reporters after Saturday's 20-13 loss to the Tennessee Titans. "I don't think I'm the only one in that category."

Technically, Brady is correct. However, there isn't another 42-year-old quarterback running around trying to maintain a near-impossible level of success.

His time is coming, though he immediately stated it's "pretty unlikely" he'll retire this offseason. But two immediate factors come into play.

First, Patriots owner Robert Kraft must decide whether he'll re-sign his long-term starter for the 2020 campaign and possibly beyond.

"I love the Patriots," Brady told reporters. "It's the greatest organization. ... I'm very blessed, and I don't know what the future looks like, so I'm not going to predict."

Though it seems unlikely, the multiverse could become reality if New England's brass decide to end their relationship with Brady and let him play for another franchise, like Joe Namath as a Ram and Joe Montana as a Chief.

"It's hard to imagine Tom not playing football," Patriots defensive back Devin McCourty told reporters. "It's hard to imagine him not playing here."

The Patriots organization as a whole must understand Brady is not the player he once was.

The aging signal-caller can no longer carry the offense, which became apparent in what might be his last game, either as a Patriot or as a professional football player. Brady completed 54.1 percent of his passes for 209 yards and an average of 5.6 yards per attempt. The performance served as an extension of the decline seen throughout the regular season.

Clearly, he's not nearly as precise with his passes and struggles to navigate the pocket like he once did. Skills diminish over time; it's simply a fact of life. Brady compensates with unparalleled experience and comprehension, yet he's not going to improve going forward. New England may choose to make one more run with Tom Terrific leading the way, though that path is an exercise in futility.

The Patriots, as seen this season, are no longer built to win a Super Bowl, and the situation could get much worse.

Brady's pending free agency is only the start of the potential problems. Key contributors on both sides of the ball can also enter the market if they so choose. McCourty, guard Joe Thuney, special teams standout Matthew Slater and linebackers Kyle Van Noy and Jamie Collins are now free agents. Thuney is the team's most reliable blocker and is in line for a huge payday, whereas McCourty, Slater and Collins are all on the wrong side of 30, and Van Noy turns 29 in March.

In fact, the Patriots entered this season with the league's oldest roster.

The departures extend beyond the field of play, too. Offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is a top candidate for multiple openings, and it may be time for him to give head coaching a second try after his disappointment 10 years ago in Denver. McDaniels is a crucial component to the Patriots' success. Yes, the team won without him long ago, but his relationship with Brady, game-planning, play-calling and attention to detail shouldn't be overlooked.

McDaniels' fingerprints are all over New England's approach over the last few years. He helped mold the offense from a wide-open quick passing attack with Brady picking apart opposing defenses to a run-first physical scheme reliant on the game's best offensive interior. He shifted the emphasis away from the quarterback and placed it on the unit's most talented group.

Furthermore, the game's best offensive line coach, Dante Scarnecchia, turns 72 next month. How much longer he's willing to contribute after already retiring once remains unknown, and McDaniels' potential departure could facilitate Scar's as well.

Now is arguably the right time to get out since the Patriots have plenty of work to do on their roster.

The wide receiver corps, outside of Julian Edelman, is incapable of creating mismatches. Tight end is a nonfactor, and Rob Gronkowski isn't walking through that door.

On the flip side, the Patriots' front seven didn't play anywhere close to the same level the secondary did—hence the Titans' dominance at the point of attack. Running back Derrick Henry simply overwhelmed the Patriots to the tune of 182 rushing yards, and New England had no answer.

After bludgeoning opponents during last year's Super Bowl run, the Patriots received the same in return in this year's first-round flop.

Maybe that's the most surprising aspect of the organization's recent downturn. Belichick lost to his former students in three of the last six weeks, and his previous assistants are now using his own tricks against him. On Saturday, Titans head coach Mike Vrabel decided to punt in the Patriots zone late in the contest but gamed the system with multiple penalties to eat as much clock as possible.

Overall, the aura is slowly fading. That's not a knock on either the Patriots' head coach or quarterback. Sure, they could come together for another year, once again put together a winning season and postseason appearance, but they're only delaying the inevitable. And there's nothing wrong with any of this. No franchise has ever maximized a pairing like New England has.

The Patriots were never as good as when they had both Brady and Belichick. But they can't possibly be there forever and sustain the level of success they've come to know. The end is nigh, whether it occurs this offseason or a year down the road.

Ok.  SportsJ. I owe TN in JF, so I will deduct $50 my debt  I will owe you $150 for me, TN and Dingo...You will also be owed $50 from Deemer in JF.  Going to adjust my ledger now.   Let me know when u want paid.   Probably easier after Bowl Game ten line.

Rich.  I have payment from NBW.  DS/Joey, Sleepy,  and Brayden will also pay you.  Let me know if you want $50 JF adj on payment I have,   You should send PP address to the others.  I think Brayden may have already paid you.  

Thanks and congrats to winners.   Sorry Joey.  ;)

Ok sports

I have been trying to tell you since preseason that Tennessee were gonna be good. I gave you pointers,stats,etc. and you didn't want to hear it.

I think by now you see that you were wrong and that the Titans are a pretty good team.

I'm sorry for the 43-13 blowout on opening day to the Browns.

I have been trying to tell you since preseason that Tennessee were gonna be good. I gave you pointers,stats,etc. and you didn't want to hear it.

I think by now you see that you were wrong and that the Titans are a pretty good team.

I'm sorry for the 43-13 blowout on opening day to the Browns.

They are on a run but sadly it will end in either Baltimore or kc tannahill pulled a Fitzpatrick this yr.

They are on a run but sadly it will end in either Baltimore or kc tannahill pulled a Fitzpatrick this yr.

The Titans have had 4 straight winning seasons including 2 postseason berths in 2017 and 2019. In that 4 year period the Titans have won 2 playoff games on the road both in the most hostile places Kansas City and New England.

Besides that the Titans in the last few seasons have beaten New England twice,Kansas City twice,Green Bay,New Orleans,Seattle,Dallas in their 13-3 year,Philly their Super Bowl year,L.A. Chargers and Baltimore last year

The Titans from their first season in 1999 through their most recent season 2019 have done well and their win at New England was their 180th win good for a tie with Minnesota for 10th place out of 32 teams.

So the Titans are top 10 in wins over the past two decades.

As far as Tannehill he was having a good year in 2017 before he got injured in Miami's playoff year that season and sometimes all a QB needs is a change of scenery like Rich Gannon,Alex Smith,Kurt Warner,etc.

As far as comparing Tannehill to Fitzpatrick thats funny. Fitzpatrick is a turnover prone QB that throws a ton of picks. Tannehill won't be a flash in the pan.

Fitzpatrick had his first good year in 2010 and Buffalo paid him. As far as Tannehill he has played well before this first season in Tennessee.

Tannehill beat Tom Brady 4 times before he ever sat foot in Tennessee,Now its 5 times. The most of any NFL QB

In 2015 Tannehill became the fourth quarterback in NFL history to throw for over 3,000 yards in each of his first four seasons in the league. The others were Peyton Manning,Dan Marino,Kurt Warner.

That same year Tannehill set the all-time NFL record for consecutive completed passes with 25, in an October 25, 2015 victory over the Houston Texans as well as a perfect passer rating.

In 2017 he led the Dolphins to a playoff berth but ended up injured and unable to play in the postseason.

Also this year Tannehill set numerous NFL records and had the highest passer rating in the NFL,second in completion percentage and led the Titans to a playoff berth and a playoff win.

Fitzpatrick has never done any of that let alone making the playoffs or winning a playoff game.

Tannehill is nothing like Fitzpatrick and much better.

Also as far as Kansas City goes the Titans beat them in the playoffs at Arrowhead in January 2018. In fact the Chiefs want no part of Tennessee as the Titans have beaten them 4 straight times including this season not to mention the playoffs.

Tennessee didnt come out of nowhere they've been winning games including postseason ones before this season.

Also Tennessee beat Baltimore in 2018.

Tennesee beat New England the last two times they've played as well.

Last night's @Titans-@Patriots contest was the most-watched AFC Wild Card game in primetime in 9 years. The game was seen by an average of 31.418 million viewers, up 23% from last yr’s Chargers-Ravens game &  up 7% from last yr’s Seahawks-Cowboys WC playoff game in primetime.

Ok.  SportsJ. I owe TN in JF, so I will deduct $50 my debt  I will owe you $150 for me, TN and Dingo...You will also be owed $50 from Deemer in JF.  Going to adjust my ledger now.   Let me know when u want paid.   Probably easier after Bowl Game ten line.

Rich.  I have payment from NBW.  DS/Joey, Sleepy,  and Brayden will also pay you.  Let me know if you want $50 JF adj on payment I have,   You should send PP address to the others.  I think Brayden may have already paid you.  

Thanks and congrats to winners.   Sorry Joey.  ;)

Bump for SportsJ