IRS lists specific Crypto question on 2019 tax form

IAG

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/irs-adds-specific-crypto-question-to-2019-tax-form-192521373.html

In part from the article....

In a new report on Monday covering fiscal 2019, the agency listed cryptocurrency and the gig economy as two key “emerging compliance areas that require attention” by the IRS. For crypto, that attention is taking the form of a new question on the 2019 Form 1040 (for additional income).

The question is at the very top of the form, and reads: “At any time during 2019, did you receive, sell, send, exchange or otherwise acquire any financial interest in any virtual currency?”

Check yes or no.    They are definitely cracking down.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to know. Curious.  Will you declare affirmatively, or will you just say no this time, IAG? Merely curious what is advisable.

I will say yes.   I have claimed gains the last couple years, and will answer in affirmative.   Hopefully that doesn’t trigger an audit.   Not because I didn’t pay, just because it would be a paperwork nightmare. 

On the upside, I saw a report today that said IRS is understaffed and underfunded.   I think it’s been that way for some time.