Top Posters In This Topic

Planning to rent out your place during the Super Bowl? Here are some tips

• Katy Ruth Camp
  •  

• Aug 6, 2018
    •  
      •  

•  2 min to read

Many homeowners and businesses are looking to rent their properties during the Super Bowl rush for an influx of cash, much like hotels and bed and breakfast businesses rent out their rooms. If you’re thinking of listing your property for rent through a service such as Airbnb or VRBO, here are some tips:

♦ Use your calendar settings to control when and for how long guests can book your space, when guests can arrive, and to add preparation time between reservations. Keep in mind that the Super Bowl will take place on Sunday, February 3, so it would be wise to keep your calendar open from at least Wednesday, January 30 through Tuesday, February 5 to accommodate out-of-state travelers. Some people might want to stay a full week ahead of the Super Bowl or more, so if you can rent it for a week or more, keep it open, but if you can’t, make sure the appropriate days are blocked so that they are not automatically booked.

♦ Communicate check-in instructions ahead of the stay and include contact information, WiFi passwords, your neighborhood guide, house rules, and any other vital information guests need to get situated and comfortable.

♦ Bulk-buy amenity items you offer guests. Soap, bottled water, or snacks are a good start. Also, leave out the towels you would like for them to use and it would be wise to have a separate set of sheets cleaned and ready just for your renters’ use.

♦ So far, in Cobb County, there are no specific tax or permit laws pertaining to renting your place through an online service on an extremely short-term basis, as would be the case during the Super Bowl. However, note that if you are in an apartment or do not own the space you are looking to rent, this could be a violation of your lease agreement so check with your landlord or community manager before listing your property for rent. Additionally, even if you own your home, some homeowner’s associations do not allow short-term rentals so check your covenants prior to listing your property for rent. The online services will not protect you from any fines you may incur.

♦ Always pay and communicate through the online service, when possible, or use text messaging if needed. This provides a paper trail in case something goes awry.

♦ Read profiles and reviews of your potential guests, and look for verified phone numbers, connected social networks and references. If potential guests don’t have any profile verifications, you can ask them to complete some. Trust your intuition: if you don’t feel right about a reservation, don’t accept it.

♦ Create a list of house rules that the guests have to agree to abide by upon reserving your space. Rules could include whether or not your guests are allowed to smoke in or on your property, which rooms or spaces are off-limits, noise regulations, where to put dirty dishes and laundry, how to deal with trash, etc. These will protect your home and ensure that, if these rules are broken, you are able to levy fines or have leverage through the online services for payment for damages or lost property.

♦ Consider putting a code lock on your door rather than providing a key. While most guests have good intentions, keys can be duplicated, opening you up to potential break-ins in the future. With code locks, you can provide the guest a one-time code to use to access your front door then change the code when their stay has ended.

So, I talked to my wife last night and we came to a mutual decision not to rent our house. I just got off the phone with the guy and he said he was desperate at this point and offered another $1500. I thought for a minute and accepted. $9000 for 8 nights. No security deposit and no cleaning fee. Now I have to tell the wife and book us a room somewhere. I have 2 free nights at the new guitar hotel so we will start there

So, I talked to my wife last night and we came to a mutual decision not to rent our house. I just got off the phone with the guy and he said he was desperate at this point and offered another $1500. I thought for a minute and accepted. $9000 for 8 nights. No security deposit and no cleaning fee. Now I have to tell the wife.

$9K is a lot of money, good for you, where are you staying for that week?

So, I talked to my wife last night and we came to a mutual decision not to rent our house. I just got off the phone with the guy and he said he was desperate at this point and offered another $1500. I thought for a minute and accepted. $9000 for 8 nights. No security deposit and no cleaning fee. Now I have to tell the wife and book us a room somewhere. I have 2 free nights at the new guitar hotel so we will start there

We need pictures of this house WVU :) 

Starting at “new guitar hotel” it sounds like.

Looks like he edited/added to his post after you quoted.

yes. I already have Wed and Thursday at the hard rock. Those were free (sort of). Still looking for the next 6 nights. We have tons of family we can stay with if I can’t find something suitable. The girls are staying with friends.

People just called random people and asked if they would be willing to move out for a week? Still seems strange to me. I don't think I'd ever be in a situation where I'd ever ask anyone that question.

these are friends of my niece who is a realtor. They went through her to find a place and she asked if I was interested. She said she would have given up her house for these guys but she’s too far away from the stadium.