What’s Your Worst Horse Racing Bad Beat?

Dark Raver Camper

Yup I know horse racing is for people on Medicare or dummies. Blah blah.

The one that I recall the most was two years ago at remington park, t breds. I bet a pick 5 or pick 4, early one. I think it was a pick 5. Going into the last leg there were 3 payouts and the rest 4 out of 5. I played a 25 center at 5 dimes. Of course the chalk out of the 4 out of 5 won and I cashed for a couple hundred. The pool money was about 28k. Of course 5 dimes doesn’t pay out of you have the bet, rather the track payouts stick.

I had an $80 horse in the sequence.

Sucks.

The horse that won was the second choice. You’d think some hick would have had it.

The max payout would have been about 7500ish.

I need to think of some more.

Another time I had a pick 4 or pick 5 going at oak lawn. I think a pick 4. Could be wrong. I had bombs in the first 3 legs. The will pays were about 8k, 10k, 12k and 13k for the horses I had. Some had higher odds. I played some chalk.

The last leg is delayed then they cancel the card. I got about 1kish on the consolation payout.

Still pissed about it. Was a $1 bet.

W2W take it from here...

Thanks ted! Was waiting for my setup.

I’ve got 4 in mind.

A SA p5 a few years back...played two Tapit horses in a maiden and they ran 2-3 behind the favorite who had my name in its name...paid $7600 and I went 4/5 losing by a whisker...woulda paid 10k easy

Gulfstream p4...had some good prices so was alive to a singled chalk 3/5 for 2k...horse ran second to a 70:1 that had never hit the board. Classic Gulfstream.

Had a 38:1 at aqua in the middle leg of a $10 p3. Had 3 horses (top 3) to finish it for will pays between 5k and 12k, and none of them even sniffed the 7:1 wire to wire easy winner 4th choice.

Last one...had gunnevera to win the travers at a fucking monster price and bet. Woulda won like 47k if he could have fucking passed...he ended up second to west coast

I have 1,000 more but those are some that I’ve never forgotten

Had $1000 to win on Go For Wand years ago. During mid stretch she was about to win broke her leg about 50 yards before the finish. She was pushed hard lost the lead but came back to take a short lead and momentum had her as a winner then she fell. 

I was at the track that day( one of my trips to the U.S. at that time)

Her and the great Bayakoa were head and head in the race of a lifetime, terrible when it happened.

I’ve been lucky. I haven’t had any memorable bad beats ON track. Most of my nightmare stories have to do with misplaying a race, poor ticket structure, or talking myself off long shots. Plenty of those. Two that stick out are Sarava (70-1) and Birdstone (36-1) both in the Belmont Stakes.

I made a small score on Sarava a month prior to the Belmont, when I went to the Preakness at Pimlico. Sarava won a race on the Preakness undercard. I made a mental note that Sarava would like more distance. I went to the Belmont Stakes but got drunk and had $200 win on a different horse. Was painful.

I was on track again when Birdstone won. I caught an interview early in the week where Zito sounded super confident based on Birdstone’s last work. But the work looked like shit, something like 4f in :49. So I took at as “Zito knows SOMETHING.” Same story unfolded. Got drunk, bet something else, was sick to my stomach when Birdstone powered past Smarty Jones.

After those two self-inflicted fuck ups, I have instituted a policy to bet what I like at the beginning of the day, then fuck around with the other races. So long as I have the original tickets in my pocket.