Chicago

housepicks

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’ve got a guy on my job who was running work before I was. They still have him run work when they get busy but I’m the #2 foreman at the shop now, he’d be like #7. We don’t get along too well and everyone knows it. When he first got here he was talking when he should have been listening. I don’t think he respected me. There is a certain amount of peacocking between men, and I’m gonna say more with guys in construction.

He knows he can’t break down a job like I can. The arrogance in his eyes has been replaced by respect and admiration. In my line of work you can find out who is better pretty quick. He knows I’m better than he will ever be. The eyes tell all.

I’ve got a guy on my job who was running work before I was. They still have him run work when they get busy but I’m the #2 foreman at the shop now, he’d be like #7. We don’t get along too well and everyone knows it. When he first got here he was talking when he should have been listening. I don’t think he respected me. There is a certain amount of peacocking between men, and I’m gonna say more with guys in construction.

He knows he can’t break down a job like I can. The arrogance in his eyes has been replaced by respect and admiration. In my line of work you can find out who is better pretty quick. He knows I’m better than he will ever be. The eyes tell all.

I don't know who's winning the race for most SANCTIMONIOUS.  Seems to be a dead heat between BBB, Diablo, and Houser.

- Brayden  

I ended up mastering those uncomfortable moments when Foreman meets Foreman and we don’t like each other or respect each other.....

Go alpha male is the only way......’Look dude, this is the way we are doing it, you don’t like it? Leave....when I’m on your job I’ll do it your way but you’re on my job and this is the way we do it’

I ended up mastering those uncomfortable moments when Foreman meets Foreman and we don’t like each other or respect each other.....

Go alpha male is the only way......’Look dude, this is the way we are doing it, you don’t like it? Leave....when I’m on your job I’ll do it your way but you’re on my job and this is the way we do it’

That's actually pretty normal.

Even for project manager shit with white-collar stuff. It's only right.

That's actually pretty normal.

Even for project manager shit with white-collar stuff. It's only right.

I rarely see it....I see two foreman get together and try to appease each other or find neutral ground by complaining about the Shop, the union, the GC and the crew.....both nervous so they complain....better to put foot on neck and proclaim command

Lots of back stabbing in large companies,anything to get ahead for some.

I’m guilty of that to a degree but I just call it playing an angle...

I worked for a shop and another foreman was a drunk like me but was too stupid to hide it....we’d meet back at the shop at the end of the day and he’d pick up a 12-pk of beer and I’d have one (1) and leave...he’d stay with the boss/owner and drink the rest....this was during the week.

Well of course I’d grab beers for the drive home and drink more then the two (2) combined but the owner never seen that.....

So one day the owner met me out front of his shop and told me he thought Scott had a problem and I agreed....

I was lead foreman from that day forward and that’s the game I played....and it’s the way it’s supposed to be played

I rarely see it....I see two foreman get together and try to appease each other or find neutral ground by complaining about the Shop, the union, the GC and the crew.....both nervous so they complain....better to put foot on neck and proclaim command

What I did was put him in some areas where I measured some precise stuff for fabrication. When the stuff came out I told him to put it all together knowing it would fit like a glove.

He’s the type that orders fittings and orders duct and cut pieces as he goes to get from A to B. I order everything to fit. After a few times he knew.

What I did was put him in some areas where I measured some precise stuff for fabrication. When the stuff came out I told him to put it all together knowing it would fit like a glove.

He’s the type that orders fittings and orders duct and cut pieces as he goes to get from A to B. I order everything to fit. After a few times he knew.

We call  that a plan.

Unfortunately everyone always wants to be the boss

Like House says sometimes you should be listening and not talking

They can want to be all they want, bottom line is there actually is a boss and how he steps up to the plate is the end all in discussion on how the plan will be played out

Unfortunately everyone always wants to be the boss

Like House says sometimes you should be listening and not talking

Knowing how to break a crew down into teams is important. At the end of the day even when guys partner up to the physical aspects of the job you can’t have 2 leaders. It doesn’t work for time. Someone needs to be a 1 and somebody needs to be a 2. Coming up thru the years I always knew which one I was depending on who I was working with. Most times I stepped up and took control, however if status wasn’t appointed by the foreman I knew when a guy was sharper than me and had no problem being his bitch.

Self awareness and rationality are the 2 human qualities that are worth the most.

My black guy is no superstar on speed, fucks up some shit a bit more than average but he’s steady, doesn’t make friends on the job and is always working when I walk up on him. What more can ya ask for at 52. Good family man and never swears. I give him more praise then he deserves because I like his approach.

All normal shit. Good stuff.

Not as common from what I’ve seen over the years....

When I first started as a Foreman and put two (2) journeyman to work together it never worked....took time to figure out that I had to ask them...‘Who wants to be the Jman and who wants to be the apprentice for the week’....

It cleared the air for the two of them and production was night and day.....

Most think they Have to Alpha and that is a problem if they are faking the funk