Car Insurance/Accident Question

rdalert447

Got into a car accident on the highway last week. I survived, because I’m tough as nails. My old reliable car took some damage though. Police report was filed, the other driver was found 100% at fault by his own insurance company. I took my car to be inspected today, as per his insurance company. Was told that his insurance company will contact me tonight after reviewing the estimate. What should I expect next? Will they want me to get the car fixed at one of their places? Or will they cut me a check according to the estimate?

Why did you go thru his insurance company. You should’ve called yours. Report the accident. They handle recouping the money to get your vehicle fixed. Your insurance sends out an adjuster. They inspect damage and estimate cost to fix.

I was under the impression that I’d have to meet my $500 deductible AND my insurance would go up. Was I incorrect?

I was under the impression that I’d have to meet my $500 deductible AND my insurance would go up. Was I incorrect?

I don’t want to give you a wrong answer. Let someone else chime in on that.

As far as no injuries that’s crazy. There are always injuries when you get in an accident and it’s the other persons fault. You left 10s of thousands of dollars on the table.

you dont pay the deductible when you aren't at fault and your insurance does not go up when you are not at fault

Not true. I was in an accident years ago, and it was 100% the other persons fault. I would’ve had to pay my deductible and go after the other persons insurance on my own to recoup it. The only thing that saved me was the other person had the same insurance as me. You do have to pay the deductible regardless of who’s fault. You can get it back but you’re on your own going after the other persons insurance. Now that might be a state by state thing I don’t know.

Correct on your insurance not going up.

I called my insurance company first. They gave me the option of going through them, or the other guys company. I chose the other guys company based on what I thought might happen.

Always start with your own company. They want your car to be repaired correctly regardless of cost, they can reclaim damages from the other company.

The other guy's insurance company wants to contain costs so they aim to screw you because you aren't their customer. They don't care about you or your car.

10-4. Back to the original question. What can I expect next. Downsouth, thank you for your answer.

My last accident was several years ago and I was able to take my car wherever I wanted...the only caveat was that was the estimate was sent to the insurance adjuster to approve estimate/cost. The guy I took it to asked me if I wanted him to add a little sugar on it but I declined.  

i would deal with his insurance, you should be able to take it anywhere you want to get fixed, and if there's a disagreement between their estimate and the shops they should work it out. The getting a check option is certainly something to consider IF you choose not to get it repaired or want to shop around and maybe make money off the deal.

Your deductible is not in play and assuming their ins is proactive I would not involve them.

For those who say always go through your own ins co, I was once in an accident and I was not insured( way back around 1980), I never told them that and went through the other guys ins and got everything paid and covered. if i had told them the truth I'm sure there would have been legal troubles,

I'm sure nothing has changed since 1980