Iowa proving to be the best state in the nation

sleepy

5 minutes ago, mikeman said:

Oh yea, it's good money for sure, is it picked by hand?

I saw a farmer with a stand selling it for $7 dozen, i thought that was high, it's 30-40 cents in the store(each)

Sweet Yakima corn used to be 10 for $1 just 10-11 years ago.

3 for $1 now at the stands and 5 for $4 in the stores.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Screw Andrews said:

Looks like it's about 1%....but I know 5 guys with 3 to 5 hundred acres that kill it every year...and yes harvest not picked...the small guys with a few acres seem to be the pickers...the guys I know just unload the small stuff to be processed....canned ect....

Sweet corn  can be a crapshoot, i've bought stuff at walmart for 10 cents/ear that was great, And I've got the fresh picked from a stand that was not so good.

9 minutes ago, Screw Andrews said:

Looks like it's about 1%....but I know 5 guys with 3 to 5 hundred acres that kill it every year...and yes harvest not picked...the small guys with a few acres seem to be the pickers...the guys I know just unload the small stuff to be processed....canned ect....

i would imagine those guys treat the corn like gold, they wouldn't wait for rain, they'd irrigate, prob even set up radios to play soothing music for the plants.

26 minutes ago, mikeman said:

i would imagine those guys treat the corn like gold, they wouldn't wait for rain, they'd irrigate, prob even set up radios to play soothing music for the plants.

I don't know about their operation but I would think so.....I know several local stands that sell their stuff as "just picked today" 

• 3 weeks later...