Any Chess Players here?

rdalert447

I learned to play at summer town rec. The guy who taught me was all smiles and friendly for the first few days of instruction. By about day 7 I was beating his ass so bad that he refused to play anymore. I did not lose another game until I was in my senior year of high school when a chess club member who was on my baseball team set up a match with the chess club wiz kid Jeffrey Birnbaum. I had the kid dead and asked him to resign. Of course he came back to win. They begged me to come back but I never did. Fast forward 45 years and my son showed me some chess apps. Whatever chess skill I had, it is long gone. I struggled to compete at the lower skill levels. I probably could do ok at intermediate levels with a little practice. Encourage your kid to play rd it is a great game for youngsters!

8 Critical Thinking Skills Kids Learn at Chess Camp:
  • Problem Solving. In its most simplistic form, chess is quite similar to a large puzzle. ...
  • Abstract Reasoning. ...
  • Calmness Under Pressure. ...
  • Patience. ...
  • Sportsmanship. ...
  • Creative Thinking. ...
  • Pattern Recognition. ...
  • Strategic Thinking.

2 hours ago, rdalert447 said:

He’s been castling. Rook-rolling, a handful of other moves, defenses, and openers. I can’t keep up. He’s too smart for me.

I see . My advice would be he needs to learn perfect on how to play back ! In perfect game or deep blue vs deep blue or any other program white will always win ,they have an advantage of been 1 move ahead . My favorite and i use it 100% of the time Alekhine defense it has more then 148 variables , and i have my own .It is a very strong defense and very deceiving ,white get an impression that you just learned on how to play chess,they want to attack and size the middle and you let them do it with out challenging them .It is a walk in trap for the white .Everyone loves to play white just go to yahoo chess and you will see 90% players sitting with the whites waiting for opponent .I used to do it the other way around ,sit with black and the shmack's would jump in right away for an easy points .And then they would not understand what happen to them . Anyway here are the few links that i find very useful .i put them in order of difficulties . 1 easy, 2 more advanced and so on 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alekhine's_Defence

Basically introduction on how to play Alekhine https://www.simplifychess.com/alekhine-defense/index.html

The Alekhine Defense offers positions where you have every chance to play for a win with Black.https://www.ichess.net/blog/alekhine-defense-ultimate-guide/

And yes to this days not to many chess players are familiar with this defense .

https://www.thechesswebsite.com/alekhine-defense/  with the links to most famous games where Alekhine defense is been used .

6 hours ago, shooterman said:

I learned to play at summer town rec. The guy who taught me was all smiles and friendly for the first few days of instruction. By about day 7 I was beating his ass so bad that he refused to play anymore. I did not lose another game until I was in my senior year of high school when a chess club member who was on my baseball team set up a match with the chess club wiz kid Jeffrey Birnbaum. I had the kid dead and asked him to resign. Of course he came back to win. They begged me to come back but I never did. Fast forward 45 years and my son showed me some chess apps. Whatever chess skill I had, it is long gone. I struggled to compete at the lower skill levels. I probably could do ok at intermediate levels with a little practice. Encourage your kid to play rd it is a great game for youngsters!

wow, aint that a story for the grandkids

In simple words my message for your kid the Alekhine Exchange Variation gives you great edge ,unless you are a grand master and can foreseen it white will fail to size the middle ,can no longer castle and have no attack  . While you are castled and mysteriously ready to attack .It is one of the best D against 4 pawns attack that is widely used .