Loan question

ERBtheGREAT

My parents are going to buy a house for 125k.  They want to put 20% down and take out a loan for 100k.  After fixing up the new house they want to move in and sell their house and pay off the mortgage in like 6-8 months after getting it.  Any advice on the cheapest way to do this?  Thanks for any input, just want them to make the best choice.

8 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Do they own current house outright or have enough equity to purchase new house)?  If so take a home equity loan out(shop around to find lowest initial fees).    Buy new house with funds from HELOC and use for repairs of new place as well.  

Sell current house (Paying off HELOC) and move into new house.  

BINGO!

On 11/20/2022 at 4:54 PM, Downsouth said:

Do they own current house outright or have enough equity to purchase new house)?  If so take a home equity loan out(shop around to find lowest initial fees).    Buy new house with funds from HELOC and use for repairs of new place as well.  

Sell current house (Paying off HELOC) and move into new house.  

That’s what they opted to do, thanks Houser!  I believe they got 4% from their credit union, only fee for the whole loan is 700 dollars when paid off, 500 of it is for appraisal.  Thanks pal!

• 11 months later...
1 minute ago, ElliotRandall said:

I know my response is delayed, but someone may still need this information. To minimize costs, they can explore different mortgage options with competitive interest rates and low closing costs. It's also important to consider the loan term; a shorter term usually means lower interest overall.
Since they plan to pay off the mortgage in 6-8 months, they should check if there are any prepayment penalties. It's smart to ensure they have the flexibility to make extra payments without any fees.
For financial matters, I typically consult with a Mortgage Broker in Colchester.

THX BRIAN