Friend’s Health Question

Gmcarroll33

Just now, mikeman said:

They need to go through his house( including garbage) and see if he's hid some alcohol. If he didn't that's a great sign.

He had 6 24 ounce white claws in the fridge and some other shit.  I poured it all out, and he didn’t care bc he said he didn’t want any of it.  He sounded so somber and scared for his life that I guess I believed him.  A bad alcoholic would have flipped like it was their life savor.  

I just hope all he has to do is never drink again and he’ll be alright but I don’t think God and every doctor warns you about the dangers of this, and all you have to do is party your ass off until you turn yellow to realize it’s time to quit.  I fear that means he’s done for.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had two people I know this year turn yellow and were hospitalized for over a week, my brother in law and my nephew, both were told they’re dead if they continue to drink….

My BIL took an interesting approach, he now drinks Non-Alcoholic beers with gummies and he’s doing great….my nephew went cold turkey and so far so good.

I know when I quit for 25 days about 3 years ago it was thanks to microdosing, after that I was able to kick it during the week, I have since back slide and been drunk every day for a year now but just ordered two dozen capsules 0.3g that are actually due tomorrow and I can’t wait to reset my mind and go back to a controlled drink.

4 minutes ago, Teddy kgb said:

I had two people I know this year turn yellow and were hospitalized for over a week, my brother in law and my nephew, both were told they’re dead if they continue to drink….

My BIL took an interesting approach, he now drinks Non-Alcoholic beers with gummies and he’s doing great….my nephew went cold turkey and so far so good.

I know when I quit for 25 days about 3 years ago it was thanks to microdosing, after that I was able to kick it during the week, I have since back slide and been drunk every day for a year now but just ordered two dozen capsules 0.3g that are actually due tomorrow and I can’t wait to reset my mind and go back to a controlled drink.

That was basically his diagnosis.  Glad to hear they had the same and are fine.  

He was being kind of strange and saying he didn’t want to talk to anybody that cares about him outside of his stupid ex gf from 6 months ago that continues to string him along like a puppet, but wanted to talk to a therapist and get anxiety medicine. First I ever heard of this.  He just seemed defeated and depressed.  At least we got him laughing and shooting the bs a little.  

But he’s ashamed, embarrassed, has no energy, sounds completely sick, and admitted he was warned by me and everybody else and only had himself to blame.  He thought he would be able to live like this until he was 50.  I told him along time ago get real.

For everybody let this be a lesson that if you drink like my friend did for 10 straight years every night you will not be immune no matter how young.  All the Intervention episodes of early death from alcoholism are real.  Seeing my friend today yellow as a sticky note and looking like death hit home.  I’ve never seen anything like that before.  

Seems like my friend turned yellow on and off for awhile.  Some days more yellow than others, some days it was kind of grey.  He had the swollen ankles too, wore compression socks.  Fingernails bled.  A treatment center was out of the question for him.  He wasn’t going.  He’d get the hospital scare about once a month and he’d go to non alcoholic beer for a couple weeks and then it was back to the Coors Light.  He pretty much just decided this was the way he was gonna go.

1 minute ago, simpleandy said:

Seems like my friend turned yellow on and off for awhile.  Some days more yellow than others, some days it was kind of grey.  He had the swollen ankles too, wore compression socks.  Fingernails bled.  A treatment center was out of the question for him.  He wasn’t going.  He’d get the hospital scare about once a month and he’d go to non alcoholic beer for a couple weeks and then it was back to the Coors Light.  He pretty much just decided this was the way he was gonna go.

Sorry to hear Andy, Hopefully GM’s pal can get some help before it’s too late. 

First time I ever seen it was my pipe insulator showed up yellow and I was like wtf and he told me he had hypnotist C from drinking and had to quit or he’d die…

Few days go by and he comes to work smelling like a brewery, I ask him about it and he said his wife took him out for margaritas for his bday…..a few days after that a new guy showed up to take his place….didn’t have to ask but I did….Dead

24 minutes ago, simpleandy said:

He claims it’s been a month since he drank over being yellow and being scared.  He’s still doing stupid things like vaping which an already not functioning liver can’t handle.  I mentioned in patient for a few months to him but he didn’t think he needed vs just time and healing and taking the medicines they gave him.

The depression and withdrawing from everybody had my friend that dealt with this daily saying that he just thinks he wants to kill himself and this is his way.  A mental thing that he has to get over but he needs at least a month with people making his decisions for him every day.

1 minute ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

He claims it’s been a month since he drank over being yellow and being scared.  He’s still doing stupid things like vaping which an already not functioning liver can’t handle.  I mentioned in patient for a few months to him but he didn’t think he needed vs just time and healing and taking the medicines they gave him.

The depression and withdrawing from everybody had my friend that dealt with this daily saying that he just thinks he wants to kill himself and this is his way.  A mental thing that he has to get over but he needs at least a month with people making his decisions for him every day.

I hope he gets better, it sounds like the bottom line is he may get better, he may not, but he cant ever drink again.

6 minutes ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

I asked him that and he said they didn’t say anything about a diet which is crazy since my dad’s friend died of livee failure and when they thought he had manageable cirrhosis I remember he was on a no salt/sodium diet hardcore.

You need to print out some internet stuff and give it to him, some foods are easier on the liver than others, vitamins cant hurt- especially b complex, every site says to drink plenty of water and fluids as well since liver problems often lead to kidney problems.

I wonder why white claws?  an alcoholic drinking hard seltzer just sounds weird.  Drinking 10 of them a day sounds disgusting.  Did he choose that drink as it might be less detectable on his breath?  Drinking white claws may have actually saved his life.  Had he switched to hard alcohol like vodka he might not still be around.

1 hour ago, WVU said:

I wonder why white claws?  an alcoholic drinking hard seltzer just sounds weird.  Drinking 10 of them a day sounds disgusting.  Did he choose that drink as it might be less detectable on his breath?  Drinking white claws may have actually saved his life.  Had he switched to hard alcohol like vodka he might not still be around.

It was easy to pass off as water in a water bottle when he was working. 

Talking to his sister this am, she remembered when he started working 7 years ago at his job he was working out, healthy, didn't drink during the week at all.  She went over to their parents house and had a beer on a Wednesday or something and he pointed out her drinking during that week.  She kind of regrets it because he started drinking during the week every single night and all throughout the weekend.  He lived at home, and his parents told him he can't drink in their house anymore so he started hiding it and drinking liquor.  Then it progressed to drinking at work for a few years, and now he reached this point. 

His liver is done, and his days of drinking are done.  He didn't really have any hobbies other than just kind of hanging out with friends, but alcohol would always be involved.  I don't know what he's gonna do or what he has to look forward to.

5 minutes ago, PLB said:

He's an alcoholic and needs rehab.

Stop playing armchair doctor and stop listening to the bozos at TGF.

I honestly don't think he's drinking bc he's too scared, and I'd be the first to call bs on him. 

His mom and sister went to check on him yesterday once I called her, and they walked in totally unannounced and there was no empty cans or bottles anywhere.  At this point it's just about him getting healthy if possible.  I told his sister about diets he needs to be on, and that he would get all of that in inpatient, and she said that had a physician that was a life long doctor of theirs that would see him and give him a diet regimen and screening regularly on his vitals and liver, and they would bring him food, etc. 

He has a big mental hurtle to get over of accepting this as his new reality is the biggest thing outside of his failed liver.  I don't imagine he would have any desire to drink with as much pain and itching as he's in, and as sad and somber as he looked yesterday.  I don't know how you help make somebody feel alright with being jaundiced and a failed liver in their early 30s.

Just now, RaiseThese said:

Dude is asking TGF for medical advice and is lecturing us on being respectful and serious

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=0fcae03e2b894e2

I asked if anybody had any experience dealing with this, and any idea of what would likely happen to my friend based on their personal experiences.  Every answer in this thread provided some personal experiences or thoughts.  You posted a gif and a meme.  Wow you really won the internet I guess.

Just now, Gmcarroll33 said:

I asked if anybody had any experience dealing with this, and any idea of what would likely happen to my friend based on their personal experiences.  Every answer in this thread provided some personal experiences or thoughts.  You posted a gif and a meme.  Wow you really won the internet I guess.

th?id=OIP.mlV4kbohUXqAZI_e-HHu2QHaGK%26p

14 hours ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

If his liver was shot they would have told him that he needed a transplant. 

He can heal.

Going forward, of course no alcohol but he will have to make dietary changes also.

Jimmy is spot on here. I was once told by an er dr I had the worst liver he’s ever see. Now I haven’t had to see a hepatologist in over 8 years. 

15 minutes ago, mike499 said:

Been sober almost ten years but it took many swings and misses. I’ve been in the hospital for months at a time icu for weeks. Been told I’ve had a day maybe two and to get my affairs in order. Not sure if this rock bottom for him but until that happens you’ll be doing this over and over.

Did you ever turn yellow from jaundice during any of this?  His diagnosis was basically that his days of drinking were over for forever, but they didn’t tell him he had cirrhosis.  I don’t know how they diagnose that, but it sure seems to fit the only stage of liver disease that can happen at.