Has anyone ever had their pipes frozen?

WVU

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Teddy kgb said:

If you can check the color on the pipe stamp…

Red = Type M and I would insulate 

Blue = Type L you should be fine but insulation is cheap and easy install

Green = Type K nothing to worry about sleep like a baby 

the printed label on the piping?

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys.  My pipes are frozen.  0 degrees was too cold.  The tenant was nice enough to turn the well pump off.  I called a plumber and he said best to wait until it thaws.  That might not be until Tuesday.  These guests leave Tue and others check in Wednesday.

not sure what to do here 

Just now, WVU said:

Well guys.  My pipes are frozen.  0 degrees was too cold.  The tenant was nice enough to turn the well pump off.  I called a plumber and he said best to wait until it thaws.  That might not be until Tuesday.  These guests leave Tue and others check in Wednesday.

not sure what to do here 

Hopefully they dont burst, you could try to thaw them but it's not in one spot, prob the whole exposed area, is this in the crawl space you mentioned or more of a basement?

1 minute ago, mikeman said:

Hopefully they dont burst, you could try to thaw them but it's not in one spot, prob the whole exposed area, is this in the crawl space you mentioned or more of a basement?

No clue where it is frozen.  Could be out by the pump or under the house in craw space basement area.  Pipes are PEX 

Just now, WVU said:

No clue where it is frozen.  Could be out by the pump or under the house in craw space basement area.  Pipes are PEX 

Good luck, in the future you might want to use the heated tape/covering people use under mobile homes - just have them turned on during these extreme conditions. 

You were talking of 20 degree temps, you say it got  to zero, wow.

4 minutes ago, WVU said:

All excellent questions I wish I had the answers to.  I think the pressure tank is in basement. 

I am going guess that they put the line headed to the building above the frost line so that’s where I would check first.You might want to either dig it down deeper or put a electric line heater

1A22F01B-4B07-48DC-A546-7723A50763C4.jpeg