Has anyone ever had their pipes frozen?

WVU

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could not get a plumber to come out and look at my frozen pipes.  After 45 degree weather yesterday they finally thawed on their own and seems to be no damage.  I'm heading there with the family Monday and will be insulating pipes to keep it from happening again.  I lost about $1500 in lost rental.

6 minutes ago, WVU said:

I could not get a plumber to come out and look at my frozen pipes.  After 45 degree weather yesterday they finally thawed on their own and seems to be no damage.  I'm heading there with the family Monday and will be insulating pipes to keep it from happening again.  I lost about $1500 in lost rental.

Got lucky they didnt bust though. 

1 hour ago, WVU said:

I would use the heating cable/tape in addition to insulating them.

image.thumb.png.fe7dd8440e120b8cf91f1734d7c00649.png

1 minute ago, WVU said:

Yeah but it doesn’t get that cold there normally.  I think this is overkill.  Good insulation should suffice. 

yea, it prob is, but for $50 you've got peace of mind, I believes it plugs in so you could just plug it in for 2-3 months/year at most at a cost of $3-4 month in electricity(running 24 hrs/day). It says it has a thermostat so it prob would be off most of the time anyway.

Is this crawlspace below a living space, how cold are the floors? Do you have insulation stuffed up at the floor level?

Get familiar with the term “building envelope”

The pipes should be within the building envelope. Perhaps your foundation walls should be insulated and crawlspace vents should be closed in cold weather.

7 minutes ago, housepicks said:

Is this crawlspace below a living space, how cold are the floors? Do you have insulation stuffed up at the floor level?

Get familiar with the term “building envelope”

The pipes should be within the building envelope. Perhaps your foundation walls should be insulated and crawlspace vents should be closed in cold weather.

The tenants who were there thinks the pipes were frozen at the pump which is outside the house at the end of the drive. I’ll know more Monday.  

1 hour ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

Is that a jet pump then?  How deep is your well?

A submersible pump might prevent the freezing.  That's what essentially everyone in rural Wisconsin uses.

In WI(and MN) all pipes/pumps/sewers  are below ground , like 6ft, they have to be because the frost can go down to 4  ft normally, in areas further north near and into canada pipes are buried 7-8 ft or more. Best bet is insulate it all and heat wrap it all. Sounds like he dodged a bullet , he can now drastically reduce the chances of a reoccurrence.