Is Layne Staley the Greatest Rock Singer Ever?

Gmcarroll33

One of my friend's went on a grunge tour in Seattle a few months ago.  He asked about the greatest and if it was Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, or AIC and the dude laughed and said none of the others even belonged in the sentence as AIC.  Said Layne singing ability and that band's talent were head and shoulders on another level vs all of the others and was a once in a lifetime talent of a singer and guitarist mixed together.  Too bad the heroin took over.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Brock Landers said:

A killer tune, the last one layne recorded, if you listen close, you can hear the difference in his pronunciation due to lost teeth

Sadly not the last song he recorded.  Almost totally toothless weighing 90 pounds as a 6ft plus tall guy, and wearing a crack pipe he tried to record some stuff.  AIC all said it was so sad it was nothing that he would want released.

He lied and told Jerry Cantrell he had to go back home to Seattle for his sister's wedding or something which was a month earlier.  Jerry knew he was FOS and just like a dad yelled "LAYNE" and Layne just crumbled in shame and left.  Wasted an all-time gift of a talent to spend his remaining days toothless, playing video games, hiding from the world, and doing heroin and speedballs while his band members screamed at the bottom of his condo to open the damn door and talk to them and get help.

One of the last public pictures of Layne Staley alive (22/08/99) :  r/lastimages

1 hour ago, TobyTyler said:

are there any existing pictures of Staley from his last couple years before died? 

The one I posted is as ared Redstripe’s.    He was doomed by the unplugged performance.  Having to wear gloves to hide all the neddle marks on your hands bc you can’t find a vein anywhere else means you’re in really bad shape.  I think the tooth loss started about 2 years later.  Then his gf died and he became a total recluse.

Sadly enough when he died he shot up a hugr speedball weighing only 90 pounds.  Police found another fully loaded one next to him justin case tgst one didn’t do it.

On 11/27/2023 at 11:05 AM, Gmcarroll33 said:

One of my friend's went on a grunge tour in Seattle a few months ago.  He asked about the greatest and if it was Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, or AIC and the dude laughed and said none of the others even belonged in the sentence as AIC.  Said Layne singing ability and that band's talent were head and shoulders on another level vs all of the others and was a once in a lifetime talent of a singer and guitarist mixed together.  Too bad the heroin took over.

Agree 10000%

AIC were better than all those listed

One of my faves.....

At heart i am mostly in with the 70's and 80;s those were my two fave decades for rock

Love these bands....

Bad Company,Led Zeppelin,Aerosmith,Motorhead,Lynyrd Skynyrd,Van Halen,Black Sabbath,Ozzy Osbourne,ZZ Top,Judas Priest,

ACDC,KISS,Def Leppard,Motley Crue,Guns N Roses,Metallica,Boston,Ted Nugent,Joan Jett,Montrose,Journey,Styx,Rush,The Cars

what was most fascinating/sad to me was that after his girlfriend ODed in Oct 1996, he shut down.  was very rarely seen outside of band members who he might let into his apartment. that's over FIVE years of the guy wasting away in isolation, crazy.   seems like literally only public appearance was in 1998 when he went to see a Jerry Cantrell show and cple photos were  taken.

r/metalgearsolid - Layne Staley in 1998, in what may be the final picture taken of him before his death, wearing a Metal Gear Solid shirt

the MTV Unplugged show was in April of '96 and apparently in bad shape for that show also.

though they did few more shows after the MTV Unplugged, this is one of them, in July '96, he didn't have much energy, wasn't moving around too much.  Cantrell checking on him a lot throughout the show. 

1 hour ago, TobyTyler said:

what was most fascinating/sad to me was that after his girlfriend ODed in Oct 1996, he shut down.  was very rarely seen outside of band members who he might let into his apartment. that's over FIVE years of the guy wasting away in isolation, crazy.   seems like literally only public appearance was in 1998 when he went to see a Jerry Cantrell show and cple photos were  taken.

r/metalgearsolid - Layne Staley in 1998, in what may be the final picture taken of him before his death, wearing a Metal Gear Solid shirt

the MTV Unplugged show was in April of '96 and apparently in bad shape for that show also.

though they did few more shows after the MTV Unplugged, this is one of them, in July '96, he didn't have much energy, wasn't moving around too much.  Cantrell checking on him a lot throughout the show. 

His only contact was with his sister and mom, and Mike Starr when he wanted to hang and use drugs, and of course his drug dealer.  The rest of the band that was clean would go to his high rise Seattle condo and scream from the street for him to pleadse just open the door and talk to them.  Said even if you could get in the building and get to his door and bang for hours he wouldn’t open.

They only knew he died bc his sister checked on him frequently and monitored his bank activity.  When nothing was taken out for 2 weeks and he hadn’t answered they knew something bad had happened.  Dead for 2 weeks with maggots already growing.  Aback up high dose speedballon the table next to the couch just in case.  Kurt Cobain’s heroin addiction was attention seeking child’s play compared to Layne’s.

8 hours ago, Mike75 said:

Nirvana were ok but nowhere near as good as AIC,,,,,

Dirt was an incredible album....

Alice%20in%20Chains%20-%20Dirt.jpg

Great album.  

Personally I liked early Soundgarden the best.  Some of AiC I loved, but they had a lot of misses for me also.  I thought of Nirvana the same way.   Really the only Nirvana I listen to is Live at Reading.  It’s really one of the best live albums of all time.  Pearl Jam was the most polished of the four, easily had the most successful run.  That has to be quite the music scene in the late 80’s in Seattle.