Jon Rahm to LIV sounds like a done deal

mikeman

6 minutes ago, Shavencoinpurse said:

$300 million signing bonus

How do you compete with an organization that has no intent on being profitable?

But they do.  Their goal is for each team to be bought buy mega sponsors (100 million plus iirc) and then the sponsors pay the money for tourneys and travel expenses team expenses etc since a lot of their sponsors dropped them.

At the moment the Saudi’s are just fronting the money while they recruit the most and best players they can to actually have a golf league.  It’s all a cheezy F1 copycat model, but would be way funner to attend than a PGA event.  LIV is cool and more to gamble on in spots.

3 minutes ago, Shavencoinpurse said:

$300 million signing bonus

How do you compete with an organization that has no intent on being profitable?

The PGA tour needs to end their war with LIV, liv is not at war with the pga it's the other way around, all they need to do is allow LIV players to play a limited number of PGA events - maybe 6-7.

With LIV only playing 14 tourny's most of them would prob like to play another 1/2 dozen or so(even with majors), you would get a handful of LIV guys to show up in non LIV weeks. You might still get dustin, cam smith and rahm, etc to show up to events like Jacks or Arnies.

2 hours ago, mikeman said:

The PGA tour needs to end their war with LIV, liv is not at war with the pga it's the other way around, all they need to do is allow LIV players to play a limited number of PGA events - maybe 6-7.

With LIV only playing 14 tourny's most of them would prob like to play another 1/2 dozen or so(even with majors), you would get a handful of LIV guys to show up in non LIV weeks. You might still get dustin, cam smith and rahm, etc to show up to events like Jacks or Arnies.

I agree on the end the war thing, but it would be catastrophic for the PGA if guys could freely go to LIV Adelaide while the PGA Tour is hosting a field like the Honda Classic.  LIV made sure to pick the most pathetic fields possible to go against in year 1 of a real year.

The problem with the PGA is that outside of the majors and about 6 tournaments a year outside of that, it’s not must watch CBS or NBC coverage.  Sorry but most people aren’t tuning into the Byron Nelson, the Valero, the John Deere or anything during Memorial Day or 4th of July (I tune into all as I’m always gambling on them but I’m an outlier).

Just now, MonkeyF0cker said:

I thought they were merging.  That’s not happening anymore?

Who really knows what the merger means at this point?  At first it was that Greg Norman was toast and used as a pawn by the Saudi’s which doesn’t seem to be the case now, Jay Monahan stays in control on thin ice with the players, the Saudi’s gladly pump their money in……..but I haven’t heard anything about players free to do whatever they want and play wherever yet.

The PGA should have as many designated events as possible, and as many WMPO type of tourney’s as possible.  Maybe we’re all just busy having fun during the summer but July-Fed Ex Cup is just a snooze fest of golf tourneys for a casual golf fan.

14 minutes ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

I agree on the end the war thing, but it would be catastrophic for the PGA if guys could freely go to LIV Adelaide while the PGA Tour is hosting a field like the Honda Classic.  LIV made sure to pick the most pathetic fields possible to go against in year 1 of a real year.

The problem with the PGA is that outside of the majors and about 6 tournaments a year outside of that, it’s not must watch CBS or NBC coverage.  Sorry but most people aren’t tuning into the Byron Nelson, the Valero, the John Deere or anything during Memorial Day or 4th of July (I tune into all as I’m always gambling on them but I’m an outlier).

What I'm saying is the LIV guys could play in PGA events(limited), not the other way around, it's assumed every LIV player will play every liv tourney.

But often it's 3-4 weeks between LIV events, I'm sure some of them might want a warm up the week before they play. Most players play 20-25 tourneys, LIV only has 14, even with majors that's only 18 and most LIV guys would not get into all the majors.

Most tournaments would be thrilled if they found out Dustin or cameron smith wanted to play, even phil is a spectator draw.

52 minutes ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

Who really knows what the merger means at this point?  At first it was that Greg Norman was toast and used as a pawn by the Saudi’s which doesn’t seem to be the case now, Jay Monahan stays in control on thin ice with the players, the Saudi’s gladly pump their money in……..but I haven’t heard anything about players free to do whatever they want and play wherever yet.

The PGA should have as many designated events as possible, and as many WMPO type of tourney’s as possible.  Maybe we’re all just busy having fun during the summer but July-Fed Ex Cup is just a snooze fest of golf tourneys for a casual golf fan.

I actually got into watching a lot of PGA tourneys this past year.  I'm not a big fan of the gimmicks which is why I don't like LIV.  I don't even like PGA celebrity pro-ams very much.

Granted, part of the reason I found myself watching golf this summer was because I hate the pitch clock and all of the new rule changes in MLB.

17 minutes ago, mikeman said:

What I'm saying is the LIV guys could play in PGA events(limited), not the other way around, it's assumed every LIV player will play every liv tourney.

But often it's 3-4 weeks between LIV events, I'm sure some of them might want a warm up the week before they play. Most players play 20-25 tourneys, LIV only has 14, even with majors that's only 18 and most LIV guys would not get into all the majors.

Most tournaments would be thrilled if they found out Dustin or cameron smith wanted to play, even phil is a spectator draw.

Yes I’m aware of what you’re saying.  The LIV guys would be awesome in the designated events if the PGA would get their panties out of a wad.

30 minutes ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

I actually got into watching a lot of PGA tourneys this past year.  I'm not a big fan of the gimmicks which is why I don't like LIV.  I don't even like PGA celebrity pro-ams very much.

Granted, part of the reason I found myself watching golf this summer was because I hate the pitch clock and all of the new rule changes in MLB.

Wow, I thought the pitch clock made baseball watchable again, I found myself watching the clock almost every pitch because you realize the pitch is coming, without it you just wander off to another channel.

47 minutes ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

I watch most all but I’m not your average golf gambler either.  The average fan is not tuning into most during the summer-fall if I had to guess.  The designated events are awesome but all seem to happen before the summer.

51 minutes ago, milwaukee mike said:

it's so weird to me that there is that much money in watching someone else hit a golf ball

unless i have big bets on it, or there is a goofball event like that netflix cup in vegas, golf is so boring to watch

The only reason I ever got into watching golf was the day I started gambling on it.  Perhaps it’s bc I always have insane potential winnings riding on it, but the broadcast and the sport in general brings a special appreciation.

It’s kind of like the appreciation of baseball which should also be incredibly boring based on pace of play.  I can see why people hate the rule changes to speed it up like it’s soccer (the gayest sport on the planet) and do the same with golf like LIV is doing.  Part of watching golf is the calm, and agonizing drawn out shot by shot that they make each one seem impossible, and to see who in the top 5 on Sunday can hold on or overcome everybody else.  It really helps making it must see tv if you have 6 figures on one of them.

What's good about watching golf is you can pop in at any moment and start watching, no need for background of how  the tourney has progressed, etc, you just start watching shots and each stands on its own.

If golf is on in a bar for example even people that dont watch anything but their home team play will start watching, they dont watch the entire broadcast but when there's a long putt or an approach shot people are watching and even commenting on it. It's hard to watch a baseball or basketball game where you dont know the teams or players, it's not hard to watch golf in the same situation.