raiders72001

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, IAG said:

Ugh,  BTC must have been creeping up more than the alts until recently.   With the ETF approvals pending,  I imagine more money will go into BTC than the alts for DEC, but who knows.    Just started paying attention again a month or two ago in anticipation of the halving.

Bitcoin crashed to about 1/3.  Alts (the shitty ones) crashed to 1/20 or so.  So the same percent gain now is not exactly the same gain.  

27 minutes ago, WVU said:

The problem is you have to sell.  It’s fucked up that every sale is a taxable event but it is what it is.  I held most of my alts because I didn’t want to take the tax hit.  That was a huge mistake 

Many of the alts can be traded on a DEX such as Metamask. You can even hold stable coins on Metamask. Hold for one year and it's a long term capital gain.

Fish, the way the tax law is written on this every sale, conversion, or transfer is a taxable event.

could I just dump coins to someone else’s wallet in exchange for cash?  Sure.  But the IRS will catch on quickly and will increase your chance of an audit.  You may have to explain where the coins went.

3 minutes ago, WVU said:

Bitcoin crashed to about 1/3.  Alts (the shitty ones) crashed to 1/20 or so.  So the same percent gain now is not exactly the same gain.  

Actually over 75 percent…was down to like 15k, but yeah I get what you are saying.  You are kind of stuck now…hopefully the less shitty ones will rally in 2024…or maybe you will be able to offset some big gains!

2 minutes ago, WVU said:

Fish, the way the tax law is written on this every sale, conversion, or transfer is a taxable event.

could I just dump coins to someone else’s wallet in exchange for cash?  Sure.  But the IRS will catch on quickly and will increase your chance of an audit.  You may have to explain where the coins went.

thx

but how is that possible

pick a card

Just now, IAG said:

Tried reading some books on DEFI last week. Made my head hurt.

LOL. I don't have to tell you but all this crypto stuff seems complicated at first. After you do it, then you realize it was simple. At least that's what happened to me. I thought the whole concept of bitcoin and the first buy was complicated.

1 minute ago, IAG said:

Actually over 75 percent…was down to like 15k, but yeah I get what you are saying.  You are kind of stuck now…hopefully the less shitty ones will rally in 2024…or maybe you will be able to offset some big gains!

Offsetting gains is my best option.  I bought $200 x 200 coins on coinbase.  Most of those are worth less than $10 now.  I’ll sell them this tax season most likely as it was a pretty good year income wise and I could use the losses.

Just now, raiders72001 said:

LOL. I don't have to tell you but all this crypto stuff seems complicated at first. After you do it, then you realize it was simple. At least that's what happened to me. I thought the whole concept of bitcoin and the first buy was complicated.

Yeah….defi seems like on. It’s another level, but maybe I just need to keep reading and get my feet wet

10 hours ago, raiders72001 said:

Unrealized gains.

Pretty sure they are considered realized once you swap..it’s like selling at current price and establishing a new cost basis for the stable coins…the fact that you don’t  actually get fiat,  is irrelevant…at least that’s my understanding…no like-kind exchange rules apply.