Question about High School Sports

Blondie

So Hoffa and I were chatting about a high school senior night game I recently covered and I’m curious about other communities l.

its senior night and Billy is injured, has been almost all season. Billy is a  senior. In our area Billy goes in for the tip off and the ball gets passed to Billy. Billy then takes a shot and immediately exits the game, to a standing ovation and clapping. 

the other team then takes the ball and scores two as well to even out the score. Is this a small town/midwest thing or is it done everywhere? 

3 minutes ago, El Chapo2017 said:

That’s awesome! 

The other night the opposing team had a girl with 999 points as a sophomore. I’m confident if she had even sprained her ankle in the first 2 seconds of the game, our coaches would have let her take a shot to reach 1k. 
around here that’s just what you do and 1k is a big deal! 

Just now, Jimmy Hoffa said:

That's how it should be.

Agreed. 

Football they usually get put in for a kneel. 

Soccer I’ve never seen.

Baseball/softball varies depending on their position etc. 

Volleyball they might serve.

3 minutes ago, Chi_Archie said:

earn it or learn it

Records really should be earned but two points to end a career on something besides an injury to me is learning that sports is more than just winning or losing. 

some of the best lessons I’ve seen weren’t learned by winning a game. 

1 minute ago, trytrytry said:

nice thread...

Have you ever seen this done? 

I figured between all of you there would be either some who played or some who have had kids play that might have an answer. 

Most of the people I know are from the same area as I am so they have seen it done. 

in person I have not seen anything like that.  I have seen clips on local news for situations similar yes at the high school level here in the midwest.

sometimes Ive seen even the player stat guy who maybe has some form of disability allowed to get in for a single play (both teams in on it)   stuff like that.

12 minutes ago, trytrytry said:

in person I have not seen anything like that.  I have seen clips on local news for situations similar yes at the high school level here in the midwest.

sometimes Ive seen even the player stat guy who maybe has some form of disability allowed to get in for a single play (both teams in on it)   stuff like that.

def a disabLIB type thing 

14 minutes ago, trytrytry said:

Chi lots of short bus types in rural places get this treatment.  a very Red thing to do.

I’ve never seen it for anyone special needs. I’ve only seen it for someone whose season ended due to injury and on the last game of the regular season. 

I did see it once for the star player in the final play of the playoff we lost. However, he earned that last play and scored a touchdown by jumping over the other team. 

1 hour ago, trytrytry said:

Chi lots of short bus types in rural places get this treatment.  a very Red thing to do.

I live in a small town.

All the parents of the players mostly know eachother and root for eachother's kids. Nobody wants to see a lesser athlete embarrassed so sometimes participation and sportsmanship carry the day.

Just now, housepicks said:

If the game is pretty much decided they will be on the floor at the end of the game. Maybe last 90 seconds. Maybe the last 8 seconds. All business up until that point.

Most of the time it’s at the beginning of the game if it’s an injury shot. That way it can be evened out by the opposing team scoring.

what do you mean decided? Aren’t we supposed to foul the other team for the last three minutes in a feeble attempt at trying to gain the lead that I have yet to ever see work??