Question about High School Sports

Blondie

9 hours ago, Blondie said:

So Hoffa and I were chatting about a high school senior night game I recently covered and I’m curious about other communities l.

its senior night and Billy is injured, has been almost all season. Billy is a  senior. In our area Billy goes in for the tip off and the ball gets passed to Billy. Billy then takes a shot and immediately exits the game, to a standing ovation and clapping. 

the other team then takes the ball and scores two as well to even out the score. Is this a small town/midwest thing or is it done everywhere? 

Small town stuff, but I’ve seen it.  

10 hours ago, Blondie said:

Most of the time it’s at the beginning of the game if it’s an injury shot. That way it can be evened out by the opposing team scoring.

what do you mean decided? Aren’t we supposed to foul the other team for the last three minutes in a feeble attempt at trying to gain the lead that I have yet to ever see work?? 

evening out the score is dumb.  If you want to score a point, do it the way everyone else does.  Stats are important.  Tainting them takes that importance away.

13 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

Stat padding is important, let the hurt player get a chance at some NIL money.

The majority of the time it's a career-ending injury. Best example: The girl was going for a layup, technical foul took her out at an ambulance ride level out resulting in several knee surgeries etc. No more sports at all for her she was a multisport athlete going to state in track the previous year for triple jump. Senior night she dressed one final time and shot the first basket. No records were damaged, the other team had a kid that usually doesn't score shoot the equalizer basket so no records hurt there either. 

It's a feel-good thing that our area does. As far as I can remember it's always been a season-ending injury that usually impacted at least part or all of their next sport as well. 

4 hours ago, Blondie said:

The majority of the time it's a career-ending injury. Best example: The girl was going for a layup, technical foul took her out at an ambulance ride level out resulting in several knee surgeries etc. No more sports at all for her she was a multisport athlete going to state in track the previous year for triple jump. Senior night she dressed one final time and shot the first basket. No records were damaged, the other team had a kid that usually doesn't score shoot the equalizer basket so no records hurt there either. 

It's a feel-good thing that our area does. As far as I can remember it's always been a season-ending injury that usually impacted at least part or all of their next sport as well. 

That happened with a shirttail relative of mine.  Basically he had a stroke at birth, ended up with little use of his left side, was the team manager.  Well on senior night, he got to dress and they let him shoot a layup at the end.

Just now, FairWarning said:

That happened with a shirttail relative of mine.  Basically he had a stroke at birth, ended up with little use of his left side, was the team manager.  Well on senior night, he got to dress and they let him shoot a layup at the end.

He's going to remember that night for the rest of his life. And may I add, no harm was done to the competitiveness of the contest.

THIS is the best in what sports can do for our country, the Super Bowl is the worst...

My daughters team played game other day vs a bad team that didn't qualify for the states, was their last game. Had a girl who needed like 19 for 1k pts, (which means you go in trophy case, etc) Refs definitely knew about it, she was a post type player and took about 18 free throws, got ridiculous whistles. Nobody really cared but was painfully obvious to point little embarrassing. 

24 minutes ago, TobyTyler said:

My daughters team played game other day vs a bad team that didn't qualify for the states, was their last game. Had a girl who needed like 19 for 1k pts, (which means you go in trophy case, etc) Refs definitely knew about it, she was a post type player and took about 18 free throws, got ridiculous whistles. Nobody really cared but was painfully obvious to point little embarrassing. 

Yikes. That is definitely the hard side of it. There was a girl with 999 for the other team last week at the start of the game. I am confident if she had broken her ankle in the first two seconds our team would have found a way for her to get to 1k, but making it painfully obvious would be hard to watch and kind of sad.