Think I got a good deal on a used car

TobyTyler

My kids get their licenses in two months 

Through a work connection from somebody that owed me, 2020 Dodge Durango RT 75k miles. In great shape, I know the owner. $10k. 8 cylinder hemi prob a bit much for first time drivers but $10k my max budget knowing they will beat this thing up. Looks like with this mileage and condition $20k is real value (which is kind of nuts for 75k miles) 

I'm not a car guy but this seems decent enough 

9 minutes ago, TobyTyler said:

Through a work connection from somebody that owed me, 2020 Dodge Durango RT 75k miles. In great shape, I know the owner. $10k. 8 cylinder hemi prob a bit much for first time drivers but $10k my max budget knowing they will beat this thing up. Looks like with this mileage and condition $20k is real value (which is kind of nuts for 75k miles) 

Sound logic and a fair price Toby.

However... When my kids hit 16 I bought them used JAPANESE cars. American cars just don't hold up. I didn't want to continue pouring money into their cars. 75 thousand miles on a Japanese car is just being broken in, the same mileage on an American car is at the end of life stage.

1 hour ago, TobyTyler said:

That is a great price.

Price does seem decent toby.

I bought a Durango like 23 years ago when they first came out and bought it brand new...my first actually new car...and a few months after I bought it, I hated it and regretted buying it. 

I'm sure they've come along way since back then. 

7 hours ago, TobyTyler said:

Bought my dad's Volvo XC when he was ready for a new car. He takes meticulous care of his cars. Knowing the owner is huge.

• 3 weeks later...

Small win today 

NJ DMV notorious for wanting tax on book value when registering , not your buy price, if you bought under book cost. Brought BS itemized repair list just in case needed to fight them. 

Drove NW to DMV middle of nowhere so wouldn't get any angry at the world minority clerks. Got a nice guy in his 40s shot the shit about Yanks and he didn't  blink, didn't care what sales price and tax was. 

Small victory, gotta stack the small wins. 

9 hours ago, TobyTyler said:

Small win today 

NJ DMV notorious for wanting tax on book value when registering , not your buy price, if you bought under book cost. Brought BS itemized repair list just in case needed to fight them. 

Drove NW to DMV middle of nowhere so wouldn't get any angry at the world minority clerks. Got a nice guy in his 40s shot the shit about Yanks and he didn't  blink, didn't care what sales price and tax was. 

Small victory, gotta stack the small wins. 

Great clerk strategy