I'm in Joplin mo right now

mikeman

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from arkansas for the eclipse, i thought it was great, lucked out and had clear skies, went through tiny towns that looked like a state fair crowd, streets blocked off, food trucks, vendors peddling merchandise, music, people were charging $20 to park on their lawns or in their driveways.

it'll be the only one I'll see in my lifetime, one guy where I was told me he came from germany for it.

I was in a state park at one of the overlooks, only 10 or so cars, among those 10 were people from TX, Kansas, colorado  oregon, Nebraska and 1 more i forget.

image.png

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

Is that a Motor Court??

Outstanding!

I try to stay at the places that have a COLOR TV sign out front by the highway...

Yup, this is an old pic off the web, looks like they changed the name, I like it when you can park 3 ft from your room. it was like $52 plus tax on priceline.

Surrounding environment

22 minutes ago, mikeman said:

Yup, this is an old pic off the web, looks like they changed the name, I like it when you can park 3 ft from your room. it was like $52 plus tax on priceline.

Surrounding environment

It's a veritable RESORT!

Handy clothing donation bins as well make for a memorable stay...

On 4/8/2024 at 9:32 PM, mikeman said:

Getting out was a total cluster fuck,, traffic completely stopped in little towns,  massive jams on the freeway, theres more traffic in NW Arkansas than MPLS, I stupidly listened to some guy from Fayetteville to take some back road to avoid traffic,, it was 40-50 miles of  steep mountain roads with hairpin turns where you had to slow to 10, etc.

our traffic cleared out pretty quick in comparison to what we thought. We had officers at the stop light and at the Y (not YMCA for those that aren't small town knowledgable. It's literally a Y made out of roads. 

35 minutes ago, Blondie said:

our traffic cleared out pretty quick in comparison to what we thought. We had officers at the stop light and at the Y (not YMCA for those that aren't small town knowledgable. It's literally a Y made out of roads. 

How was the crowd compared to expectations?  I have no idea what arkansas expected and while it was very busy it wasn't like they were overwhelmed.

15 minutes ago, mikeman said:

How was the crowd compared to expectations?  I have no idea what arkansas expected and while it was very busy it wasn't like they were overwhelmed.

I was only in one area and it wasn't super crowded there, but I have heard we had excellent crowds at the drive in theater, the country bars, and even on the square. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

You still have one  of those?

The closest one to us closed about 5-6 years ago and I believe there's only one left in the whole state.

Yes! They actually showed a movie on Sunday night as part of our eclipse activities! 

It's maybe ten minutes from my house