Back when the NFL had the goal posts in the end zone

sleepy

6 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

I believe it was a touchback.  The goalpost didn’t get moved to the back of the end zone until 1974.  I remember receivers using the goalpost as a pick.  If a pass hit the goalpost, it was a dead ball, incomplete pass.

The kicker back then sucked so bad that it was likely nearly impossible to hit the uprights unless you had a 60 mph wind at your back.

Just now, sleepy said:

The kicker back then sucked so bad that it was likely nearly impossible to hit the uprights unless you had a 60 mph wind at your back.

It was never a problem until the soccer style kickers came into the league.  They could hit the goalposts.

1 minute ago, sleepy said:

Paul Horning filled a ball with helium and kicked the ball 90 yds

Interestingly I was just thinking about this the other day and watched some games from the early 1970s.

Couldn’t believe that it took the NFL until 1974 to finally figure out that it was better to have the goal posts at the back of the end zone.

1 hour ago, Mike75 said:

Interestingly I was just thinking about this the other day and watched some games from the early 1970s.

Couldn’t believe that it took the NFL until 1974 to finally figure out that it was better to have the goal posts at the back of the end zone.

The Gogolac brothers were the main reason.  

Watching some of those old nfl games can be very painful.  The league has come a very long way.