Funny story about poker player Eskimo Clark

sleepy

"Probably the story most people will remember is the 2007 World Series razz event. He was the chip leader, and then about six or seven at night he hit the floor. They had a gurney in here, and actually called medics. They said to stop the tournament for obvious reasons.

"He declined medical treatment at first. Somehow he was able to muster enough skill, and maybe experience, to continue to play. They allowed him to play. Corporate was calling lawyers asking if they should allow him to play, if they're liable if he happened to expire during the tournament. So another half hour goes by and they were going to have him sign some forms, like a disclaimer that he was taking full responsibility.

"Then he hit the floor again. That's when they let people go to a longer dinner break. That's when they actually wheeled him out and resuscitated him. I don't know how far gone he was, but it was sufficient enough he had to be taken out.

"The kicker to the story is what nobody knows. Six o'clock he hits the floor, and 7:30ish hits the floor again, so he hits the floor twice. People are wondering the hell is going on here. They were concerned, but also this was a tournament, and poker players are pretty vicious and somewhat callous.

"Around 10 o'clock that same night, I walk out back to the outside food court. The food was really bad that year. They had all this fried food and all this garbage. It was just not good food, but they also had this smoking area out there. Mind you, he had hit the floor twice, was on a gurney, actually had the shockers on him, and I look over as I'm walking outside to take a break, I see, I kid you not, Eskimo is sitting there with a full platter of chicken wings in one hand, and a cigarette going full blast in the other. He's got the two worst things that are possible going. Sure enough, he finishes fourth in the tournament.

• 1 year later...