Various ways to short GOLD

FISHHEAD

i would much rather short an "asset" like the us dollar that HAS to go down in value, than an asset like gold that HAS to go up in comparison over the long run.

at some point there will be new dollars that will be worth 10x the old dollars. every paper money in the history of the world has failed, and it always happens when countries start racking up huge deficits that can never be repaid (sound familiar?)

no idea about the stock market as a whole, but i'm bullish on all assets other than dollars. unless the country becomes unlivable (quite possible) then 100 years from now there will still be a demand for farmland. but 100 years from now there will be no demand for the current version of us dollars, they are backed by nothing but debt that is impossible to repay and promises that are impossible to keep.

all about location in milwaukee (like everywhere else)

i think we're at the top of the list for most segregated cities in the country, houses in poor neighborhoods can hardly be given away, everywhere else has been pretty stable.

still looking at houses in vegas, probably anthem, my only concerns are throwing most of my net worth into a place that might have serious water concerns 10 years from now, and moving away from one of the best school systems in the country here in the suburbs

YES

before silver prices starting being manipulated in the 1980s, it always traded at around 1/17th of gold. which makes perfect sense because silver is 19x as abundant as gold.

now silver trades at 1/70th. at some point in the future it should be worth about 1/20th of gold

The Roman Empire set gold to silver at XXV to II. It was around there until the new world discovery where mines are swimming with silver. Many open pit copper mines get their profit from the one pound of silver they get per 200 pounds of copper. That said, silver disappears at an alarming rate. The new low-E windows eat up a box car worth of silver every year. This and little uses like cell phones and wound dressings are never recycled.

To answer the OP question, maybe go long on lesser than Iowa corn land, and short gold. Of course, a gold put is the easy answer.

Jmbullion linked above is about 19.5 but includes free shipping. Others charge less per ounce but you pay for shipping. The best and cheapest place I have found is bullion direct.com. This is an exchange so you can buy or sell very close to spot. You can also store it virtually through them which is inevitable as it gets tough to store at home in a safe when you start accumulating.

Good move, Erb.

i wouldn't trust paper gold (etf) or virtual storage. i know some really smart guys that do trust electronic gold/silver, i for one would rather have it in my hands in case the shit hits the fan.

for bigger numbers though it gets heavy, put a few file cabinets full in the basement

gold I would want on hand. Silver is just way too big and heavy to store any significant amount in your house. By significant I am talking about 100k worth which is close to 400 troy pounds. I know some people hide it in their walls or bury it. I would say the metal is safer kept virtually in a place like bullion direct than it is in in your home, especially if shit hits the fan. I would rather keep it virtually than in a bank deposit box as well. That isn't 100% secure if shit hits the fan and it would be expensive to keep 400 pounds in a vault.

Mike' date=' no basements in Vegas, don't move here.[/quote']

some of the places i'm looking at have basements and/or casitas. would be funny to have a casita with silver bars stacked in it

i like this house but the pool isn't self-cleaning and there is a gigantic wall fence behind it, would feel like being imprisoned

http://awp207556.las.fusionmls.com/5.12.05.35765/Tools/MultiImageViewer/MediaViewerDlg.asp?Mode=1&DefaultTab=0&Address=&SysPropID=63991568&PageType=-1&ShowImages=1&ShowLinks=1