• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest answer. It depends.

To my friends and family who I know celebrate it ? Merry Xmas

To a random sales person while shopping ? Merry Xmas

To a person at work who I don't know well - happy holidays

To a Jewish person - Happy Hanukkah

This makes too much sense.  The 'Merry Christmas' crowd's heads are exploding reading that...

This makes too much sense.  The 'Merry Christmas' crowd's heads are exploding reading that...

Nah I think most people, including conservatives like myself, would answer the same way as Joey.

Anyone who insists on being adamant about saying Merry Christmas in the presence of people they know to have different beliefs is kind of a dick.

Conversely anyone who gets all angry and offended anytime they hear the words Merry Christmas spoken aloud is definitely a liberal, and the type of person no one can stand to be around.

Nah I think most people, including conservatives like myself, would answer the same way as Joey.

Anyone who insists on being adamant about saying Merry Christmas in the presence of people they know to have different beliefs is kind of a dick.

Conversely anyone who gets all angry and offended anytime they hear the words Merry Christmas spoken aloud is definitely a liberal, and the type of person no one can stand to be around.[/quote

Funny and all too true.

I live in probably one of the most liberal places on earth. I don't even know people who get offended by merry Xmas. In fact even my office is completely covered in Xmas stuff despite there being tons of Jews , Muslims, and who knows what else. No one gives a fukkkk. Even most Jews I know have zero issue participating in Xmas themed stuff.

In my 15 + years in the work world , the single only person I've ever heard get offended was a Jehovah Witness. She refused to go to any "celebration " including Halloween , Xmas, thanksgiving or even birthday lunches!!!! Chick was a true nutter.

Conversely anyone who gets all angry and offended anytime they hear the words Merry Christmas spoken aloud is definitely a liberal, and the type of person no one can stand to be around.[/quote

Funny and all too true.

I live in probably one of the most liberal places on earth. I don't even know people who get offended by merry Xmas. In fact even my office is completely covered in Xmas stuff despite there being tons of Jews , Muslims, and who knows what else. No one gives a fukkkk. Even most Jews I know have zero issue participating in Xmas themed stuff.

In my 15 + years in the work world , the single only person I've ever heard get offended was a Jehovah Witness. She refused to go to any "celebration " including Halloween , Xmas, thanksgiving or even birthday lunches!!!! Chick was a true nutter.

In this holiday season I think all of us with our diverse beliefs can all agree that Jehovah Witness folk are crazy as shit. Only met 2 and they were both total loons. I honestly feel bad for them.

always amused me how some Christian right wingers get angry if anyone says happy holidays

then again, these people probably think they're celebrating Jesus' birthday. Jesus was born in the spring. Christmas is December 25 to celebrate the winter solstice. The wreath, mistletoe, etc. are from the pagan holiday.

The only people who could have something to say about "happy holidays" instead of "merry christmas" are pagans.

fyi, I don't know anyone who gets offended by "merry christmas"

the reason companies generally say "happy holidays" is because they know there are other holidays, not because they're trying to avoid offending people. I've never seen a Jew, Muslim, atheist, or whatever get upset because they saw or heard "merry christmas".

they don't lose anything by saying happy holidays. This way, everyone (except some people looking for something to get angry about) is happy.

As for me personally, I say neither one. I don't initiate holiday greetings. If someone says them to me, I return in kind. If they say merry Christmas, they get one back.

fyi, I don't know anyone who gets offended by "merry christmas"

As for me personally, I say neither one. I don't initiate holiday greetings. If someone says them to me, I return in kind. If they say merry Christmas, they get one back.

Pretty much the same.  I do say Merry Christmas to family members/friends/friends families if I run into them.  But anyone else, I don't bother saying it to them, unless of course they say it first, then I just say "same to you"

And if I were to be at a store and someone was being helpful with whatever I was looking for and I just happen to say "have a good christmas" and they wanted to say something stupid back, I'd just laugh and walk away.  Not about to be concerned with whatever they have to say when obviously it's just someone giving a polite gesture.