The Poverty Meal Thread [Pictures & Videos]

Miley Cyrus

I sous vided them at 160 for 14 hours with a rub of paprika, black pepper onion and fresh orégano. Then I smoked them at the kamado Joe with some hickory wood for an hour at 375 whole brushing que home made sauce every 15 mins. Best ribs ive ever made.

The turkey legs were smoked only for about 3 hours until internal temp was 185. Brushed sause every 10 mins after internal temp was 150.

No mayo?

I sous vided them at 160 for 14 hours with a rub of paprika, black pepper onion and fresh orégano. Then I smoked them at the kamado Joe with some hickory wood for an hour at 375 whole brushing que home made sauce every 15 mins. Best ribs ive ever made.

The turkey legs were smoked only for about 3 hours until internal temp was 185. Brushed sause every 10 mins after internal temp was 150.

Ok I guess I need to get one of these contraptions now. Thanks a lot Jorge.

What about this one?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21832&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv8D0juuC3wIVF7jACh0ivAktEAYYCyABEgKiEvD_BwE

House, I really like the Annova brand. 

You set the device at the temp you want. The water is heated to that exact temp and the meat cooks at that temp, so it will not go over what you specify. It allows plenty of time to get other shit done without worrying about overcooking your steak or whatever. 

House, I really like the Annova brand.

You set the device at the temp you want. The water is heated to that exact temp and the meat cooks at that temp, so it will not go over what you specify. It allows plenty of time to get other shit done without worrying about overcooking your steak or whatever.

Yup i endorse the annova as well.

Super easy to use

Cook to exact temperature. That’s pretty cool.

How about accessories?

Joey is correct. You really don't have to get too crazy with it and keep it simple. The device, a big container, and a cast iron pan is really all you need. If you have a vacuum sealer it is nice, but you can use regular zip lock bags if done properly. Seriouseats.com has some great articles and recipes in their sous vide section, just keep hitting See More at the bottom of the page. https://www.seriouseats.com/tags/sous%20vide

Also, don't limit yourself to meats. You can get great carrots, corn, and especially eggs done exact temp. They have articles on each. 

Kenji Lopez Alt is probably my favorite source for anything food related. He writes most of the articles on Serious Eats that are sous vide related. Guy knows his shit and tests everything multiple times and shows detail of each result. His book, The Food Lab is what Big Teddy KGB won in the poverty cooking contest. I recommend it over any book if you are serious about learning the best way to cook and why shit works the way it does. He also owns Wursthall, a Joeydonuts establishment. 

Joey is correct. You really don't have to get too crazy with it and keep it simple. The device, a big container, and a cast iron pan is really all you need. If you have a vacuum sealer it is nice, but you can use regular zip lock bags if done properly. Seriouseats.com has some great articles and recipes in their sous vide section, just keep hitting See More at the bottom of the page. https://www.seriouseats.com/tags/sous%20vide

Also, don't limit yourself to meats. You can get great carrots, corn, and especially eggs done exact temp. They have articles on each.

Ive found eggs are pretty tough to get perfect. Takes some practice.

Ok I guess I need to get one of these contraptions now. Thanks a lot Jorge.

What about this one?https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21832&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv8D0juuC3wIVF7jACh0ivAktEAYYCyABEgKiEvD_BwE

I use the Anova and it works great. Their cs is awesome. If something stops working they don’t ask for a receipt, they just mail you the replacement part or unit. Their app has a lot of recipes.

I think the vacuum sealer is a must, ziplock bags are not the same. Once you get a feel for it you will probably look into other accessories like a divider for the meats which I usually use to put on top of the bag to make sure that the bag doesn’t float . Some people just use a cooler and drill a hole for the Anova instead of buying their containers.

I'm going to get a vacuum sealer, too. Fuck it. I was only going to use bags, but I'm seeing these YouTube videos and it seems the vacuum sealer just makes it easier.

Get bags and close it all the way except the end where you have a straw half inside and half out, suck all the air out and close,  its the same as a vacuum sealer.....dead serious, give it a try, works great

If the meat comes out at the exact temp when you Sous vide, how come I see people cooking chicken at 140-150 degrees?

Also as far as how long to cook something. I see people cooking steak for 2 hours. I see people cooking steak for 12 hours. People cooking roasts for 24 hours.

How do I know how long to cook something?

If the meat comes out at the exact temp when you Sous vide, how come I see people cooking chicken at 140-150 degrees?

Also as far as how long to cook something. I see people cooking steak for 2 hours. I see people cooking steak for 12 hours. People cooking roasts for 24 hours.

How do I know how long to cook something?

Just follow the recipe. For example steak is anywhere from 1-2 hours. You can do more time if you want, it will never overcook. Ribs it depends on the temp and texture that you want. You can do 160 for 12-14 hours or you can do 140 for 36 hours.