Hiking the Appalachian Trail

WVU

The wife and I are taking a hiking trip this Summer.  We are going to hike the start of the Appalachian Trail which begins in Springer Mountain, Georgia.  This will be a week hike and we will be trekking about 10 miles per day.  This should get us close to the NC border.

I recently bought 2 cases of MREs (Meal Ready to Eat) for this trip.  I have all 24 different kinds that are made for the US military.  I tried one last night and another one for lunch today.  The MREs are pretty cool and come with everything you need including little heating packs so you don't even need a fire or camping stove.  All you do is add a few ounces of water.  While the MREs are cool looking, they do not taste all that good.  The one I just ate was #8 Meatballs in marinara.  It comes with au gratin potatoes, 2 pieces of some type of bread, cheese spread,  an energy bar, fruit juice powder (cool aid), 2 little pieces of gum, salt, pepper, coffee, a spoon, napkin, and wet nap.  All in all there is like 1400 calories, but there is a good bit of food.  I can't finish a whole one.

I have ordered super lightweight backpacks.  I will be carrying about 22-23 pounds and the wife will be carrying 17-18 pounds.  I also ordered lightweight sleeping bags, self inflating lightweight sleeping pads, and a light 2 person tent.  I am bringing a couple little stoves, headlamps, a shovel/axe combo unit, and an outback emergency kit.  At the suggestion of others I am bringing along my 9 mm handgun and a fully loaded clip.

Anyone ever taken a long backpacking trip?  It is kind of a dying activity, but something I have always enjoyed. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've never done a long hike you might want to start doing small trails, some overnight to prepare yourselves.

You'll probably need more food since you'll be burning a ton of calories on the trail too. I don't suggest carrying all of it because extra weight will be a problem.

Maybe plan ahead where along the trail there are places you can re-up food from. You need some sort of water filter unless you plan on lugging gallons. Life straw is pretty good but any filter is fine.

You need good boots and ones that are broken in. You don't want to be breaking in boots during that time unless you want it to be hell. Also some extra layers because the temperature drops and you'll be in light sleeping bags.

Also ear plugs too. Hiking the trail is en mode now and it's mostly college kids partying at the camp sites. Ever since that woman wrote the book the one where reese witherspoon played her in the movie.

great tips, chickles.  We are planning to do a practice overnight trip in the everglades in a couple weeks.  We will both be carrying 3 liter water bladders.  There is a water filter in the emergency kit.  The goal is to keep the weight as low as we can.  I am fairly fit, but the wife not so much.  You are the third person to tell me to bring ear plugs, but the other 2 said it was because of the wind that sweeps through those parts of the mountains.  

I hiked the northern part of the trail in New Hampshire & Maine in my younger days. Did at least one one week long trip but we had support groups in route with additional food & supplies. Plus the equipment back then wasn't as efficient and user friendly as it is now. Obviously being in decent shape for a trek like this is important. Didn't see water on your list but I'm sure it's included. Familiarize yourself with poison ivy but it sounds like a great opportunity and challenge. Enjoy!

Jet Boils were just dirt cheap twice the last week.  You should lug 30lbs and knock your wife down to 10ish.  Wife is 5'4 105 and carried 25lbs for 28 miles and was pretty much useless after that.

Make sure you know where the water is.

Always make sure to try and carry one of these or something to filter water in case of emergency

http://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-Bottle-Integrated-1000-Liter-Filter/dp/B00H90PFOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454093544&sr=8-1&keywords=water+filter+bottles

Make your own trailmix and bring that.  Don't bring a roll of TP, rather unroll it/fold and put in plastic bag (takes up less space)

Dr. O’Toole says dangerous people who are classified as “psychopaths” — roughly one person out of every 100 — often have these personality traits:

• a lack of empathy or remorse
  • shallow emotions
  • extremely charming and
  • manipulative.

Dr. O’Toole believes people often over-rate their ability to tell who is merely eccentric and those who might be physically dangerous to themselves or others.  There is a fine line between a warning to the wise and fear mongering.  Knowledge is power.  We want to empower you to learn new ways to discern who might be a threat.

Common Safety Tips for Hikers

Those who know the Trail best will tell you that areas within a mile or two of crossroads are where you are more likely to encounter troublesome people, not way back in the deep, dark forest.  It’s always wise to hike and camp with people you know and trust.  Be sure someone knows where you are and check in with them at regular intervals, in case something goes wrong.  Don’t be afraid to stomp on the instep of an attacker or slam a knee into a male attacker’s groin.  It’s better to scratch someone’s eyes in order to protect your life than it is to be a merciful victim.  If you must, fight for your life.  Avoiding trouble, however, is always your first defense.

Dr. O’Toole’s Five Ways to Spot Dangerous People
  • Impulsivity

Impulsivity can be observed in children and in adults who lack self-control.  This does not mean that everyone who lacks maturity or who enjoys spontaneity is dangerous.  It can be, however, one of the indicators of someone who might be dangerous.

• Inappropriate Anger

Anger is common to us all.  When expressed appropriately, it is normal.  Fits of rage or explosive bursts of anger are not appropriate.  Have we all lost our tempers?  Yes, but a person who freaks out irrationally should make you wonder if they might be dangerous.

• Narcissism

Narcissism has been defined as “extreme selfishness with a grandiose view of one’s own talents and a craving for admiration.”  It is more than vanity or being self-centered.  In a person who exhibits other warning signs, narcissism can be life-controlling.  Can you think of someone who appears to be a narcissist?

• Lack of Empathy

Dangerous people can be uncaring and inconsiderate with no remorse or guilt.  This is far more than a lack of manners.  It can be the absence of a conscience.

• Injustice Collecting

We all struggle with forgiving those who wrong us.  It’s easy to hold on to a grudge too long.  Dangerous people take this to an extreme.  Old offenses are not forgiven or forgotten and easily rise to the surface to control the behavior of unhealthy individuals.

Be Cautious, Not Fearful

Don’t be afraid of strangers but be cautious.  If you see several of these traits or others that concern you in strangers on or off the Trail, use your best judgment.

Protect yourself and others.  Enjoy your time in the woods and on hikes.  Just be alert to those who appear to have qualities that might be dangerous.

Read Dr. O’Toole’s book for more insights and tips on staying safe in a world filled with kind and not-so-kind strangers.

Some hikers believe they have a special sense when it comes to judging strangers.  They think they can tell the difference — somehow — between average people, unusual but safe strangers and dangerous people on or off the Appalachian Trail.

While visiting Franconia Notch in New Hampshire’s White Mountain State Park, I saw a young lady hitchhiking near the Appalachian Trail.

As the father of two adult daughters, I felt a bit of concern for her.  So, I turned my car around and drove her into Lincoln for conversation, pictures and Trail Magic.

Nora V turned out to be an awesome person thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail.  She wasn’t the least bit weird (except for being a thru-hiker).  Things don’t always turn out so well.

If you’re going to hitchhike in an area where you don’t know anyone and no one knows you, please be cautious.  Don’t put all your trust in your gut feelings when you hike the AT either.

A book titled Dangerous Instincts: How Gut Feelings Betray Us was written by retired FBI profiler Mary Ellen O’Toole, Ph.D.  Although it was released three years ago, I just came across it online at Mother Nature Network’s website.

WVU, have you seen the documentary, Mile...Mile and a half. Good one to watch. 

I've never hiked a long trail like that through, but have always wanted to. Hope you take some pics of the scenery. 

Im putting that on the watch list.  I hope it's on netflix.  Thanks  :cheers

2015 – Federal authorities captured fugitive James Hammes, who had been hiding on the Appalachian Trail. He had been on the run for six years. Hammes is alleged to have embezzled millions from his employer, Pepsi. Though not investigated for murdering someone on the trail, authorities are investigating Hammes for the murder of his wife, who was killed in a house fire when the Hammes’s home burned in 2003.

2011 – A male hiker from Indiana died on the Appalachian Trail. The Roanoke Office of the Chief Medical Examiner said the man died of “asphyxia by suffocation,” and as of today the murder appears to be unsolved. Here is an article on the incident.

2008 – Randall Lee Smith shot two fishermen on the Appalachian Trail. Both survived, but Randall Lee Smith was charged with two counts of attempted murder. Randall Lee Smith was convicted of the death of two hikers in 1981, crimes for which he served 15 years in prison from 1981 to 1996.

2001 – A Canadian woman was murdered in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The woman was stabbed to death near the Glen Boulder Trailhead just south of Pinkham Notch.

1996 – Two women were found slain in the Shenandoah National Park in Virginia from incisions to the neck. A collection of articles and various updates can be found here.

1990 – Two thru-hikers were murdered at a Cove Shelter outside Duncannon, PA. The male hiker had been shot and killed, and the female hiker had been raped, tortured, and killed, according this article. The murderer was then 38 year old drifter Paul David Crews.

1988 –  A young man, Stephen Roy Carr, fired his rifle eight times at two women, Rebecca Wright and Claudia Brenner, having sex in the woods in a Pennsylvania State Park. He struck both women with several shots, and Wright died as a result of those shots.

1981 – Randall Lee Smith killed two thru-hikers, Robert Mountford Jr. and Laura Susan Ramsay, while they were hiking along the Appalachian Trail.

1975 – Paul Bigley murdered Janice Balza of Wisconsin, an Appalachian Trail thru-hiker. Bigley killed her with a hatchet, reportedly for her backpack that he coveted.

1974 – Ralph Fox murdered Joel Polsom of Hartsville, South Carolina. Polsom was murdered at the Low Gap Trail Shelter along the Appalachian Trail in the Chattahoochee National Forest.

The whole thing?  I'm impressed.  Should take about 6 months

Yep.  Plan on starting around the last week of March/first week of April.  Have most of my main gear already, still have lots of smalls and accessories to get before I leave.  Hoping to keep my base weight before food + water to under 18 pounds.

Yep.  Plan on starting around the last week of March/first week of April.  Have most of my main gear already, still have lots of smalls and accessories to get before I leave.  Hoping to keep my base weight before food + water to under 18 pounds.

wow man, I'm super jealous.  Keep us updated.

wow man, I'm super jealous.  Keep us updated.

I will.

Have you ever seen the solo wood burning stove?  I love mine.  It burns twigs and leaves.  Obviously requires a little more effort to boil water than a gas stove, but totally worth it in my opinion to not have to worry about carrying the weight of a fuel canister and having to figure out how to refuel on trail every 3-5 days.   And stove + pot weighs only 1lb.  If it is raining out, I can always keep some dry twigs in a stuff sack handy in my pack.

d other humans for the most part.

Back in 92 I hitch-hiked from Ohio to the start of the Appalachian trail at Springer Mt Georgia. My parents dropped me off along the interstate highway and I waved as they drove away. I was on a mission. It took 3 days and 19 rides.

My 1st day on the AT was Sept 28th. It started pouring rain which lasted 4 straight days. On day 2, I see a black bear that runs away when it sees me. Right after that I come across a skinny looking dude heading south. We have a great conversation. It turns out that the guy was thru hiking from Mt Katahdin Maine and was only 1 day from the finish. Over 2000 miles. He had been on the trail for about 5 months and was the very first south bound thru hiker to make it that year. I could tell he was the real deal and not feeding me bullshit. He gives me some tips and hands me his philosophers guide, which was a giude that tells you where all the resupply points are along the trail like country stores, gas stations, restaurants. It also points out all the drinking water locations and natural springs along the trail. Invaluable, it was like the bible for a hiker. He tells me he's down to his last $2 and says he's the president of the Pennsylvania Maple Syrup association. If I loan him $20 he will send a gallon of pure maple syrup in the mail. I don't hesitate and hand him the money. I was carrying about $1200 cash. The maple syrup was sent about 2 weeks later and arrived to my house while I was still on the trail.

So I continue my hike and cross into the Smoky mountains in early October. The fall colors in the smokies will melt your mind. Perfect timing. I meet tons of other hikers along the way and sleep each night in the hiker shelters spaced about 10 to 15 miles apart along the length of the trail. I was averaging about 17 miles a day which is a brutal pace in the mountains while carrying a 70lb backpack.. One of the steepest climbs had 15 switchbacks. 

Around the 26th of October as I'm heading into southern Virginia a major snow storm hits.. I hike in snow up to my knees at the higher elevations. I'm the only hiker on the trail for 2 days. I hike into a small town in southern Virginia that has a free hikers house called "the place" which is one of the most famous places along the trail. I spend 2 nights at the place and decide to end my hike and hitch-hike back to Ohio. I ended up hiking 451 miles in 30 days from Sept, 28th to Oct, 28th. A true epic journey that I will never forget!!!

Do the thru hike 70kgman!

It will be one of the most incredible experiences of your life.

Most thru hikers who attempt it every year don't make it.

It will be a very physically and mentally demanding journey.

Good luck and ask me any questions you have.