Hiking the Appalachian Trail

WVU

I will.

Have you ever seen the solo wood burning stove?  I love mine.  It burns twigs and leaves.  Obviously requires a little more effort to boil water than a gas stove, but totally worth it in my opinion to not have to worry about carrying the weight of a fuel canister and having to figure out how to refuel on trail every 3-5 days.   And stove + pot weighs only 1lb.  If it is raining out, I can always keep some dry twigs in a stuff sack handy in my pack.

I have and it would be useful on a longer hike like yours.  With MREs you don't even need a stove.  I plan on only bringing 3-4 of the smaller 4 ounce canisters of fuel as I won't need it much.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I could help with the menu pal?  

If a fast fella like you didn't have your wife with ya you could do the whole thing in a week.

Good Luck!

Not so fast my friend!  Lucky for WVU he married his sister(very common where he grew up) and she has the speed racer genes in her blood too!.  They will whip this hike in half the expected time.

Back in 92 I hitch-hiked from Ohio to the start of the Appalachian trail at Springer Mt Georgia. My parents dropped me off along the interstate highway and I waved as they drove away. I was on a mission. It took 3 days and 19 rides.

My 1st day on the AT was Sept 28th. It started pouring rain which lasted 4 straight days. On day 2, I see a black bear that runs away when it sees me. Right after that I come across a skinny looking dude heading south. We have a great conversation. It turns out that the guy was thru hiking from Mt Katahdin Maine and was only 1 day from the finish. Over 2000 miles. He had been on the trail for about 5 months and was the very first south bound thru hiker to make it that year. I could tell he was the real deal and not feeding me bullshit. He gives me some tips and hands me his philosophers guide, which was a giude that tells you where all the resupply points are along the trail like country stores, gas stations, restaurants. It also points out all the drinking water locations and natural springs along the trail. Invaluable, it was like the bible for a hiker. He tells me he's down to his last $2 and says he's the president of the Pennsylvania Maple Syrup association. If I loan him $20 he will send a gallon of pure maple syrup in the mail. I don't hesitate and hand him the money. I was carrying about $1200 cash. The maple syrup was sent about 2 weeks later and arrived to my house while I was still on the trail.

So I continue my hike and cross into the Smoky mountains in early October. The fall colors in the smokies will melt your mind. Perfect timing. I meet tons of other hikers along the way and sleep each night in the hiker shelters spaced about 10 to 15 miles apart along the length of the trail. I was averaging about 17 miles a day which is a brutal pace in the mountains while carrying a 70lb backpack.. One of the steepest climbs had 15 switchbacks. 

Around the 26th of October as I'm heading into southern Virginia a major snow storm hits.. I hike in snow up to my knees at the higher elevations. I'm the only hiker on the trail for 2 days. I hike into a small town in southern Virginia that has a free hikers house called "the place" which is one of the most famous places along the trail. I spend 2 nights at the place and decide to end my hike and hitch-hike back to Ohio. I ended up hiking 451 miles in 30 days from Sept, 28th to Oct, 28th. A true epic journey that I will never forget!!!

Do the thru hike 70kgman!

It will be one of the most incredible experiences of your life.

Most thru hikers who attempt it every year don't make it.

It will be a very physically and mentally demanding journey.

Good luck and ask me any questions you have.

wow, good story.  Why did you carry suck a heavy pack?  70 pounds?  JFC.  Do you know the name if the guide that tells you where are the water and supply places are along the route?  I would want to have that.

Back in 92 I hitch-hiked from Ohio to the start of the Appalachian trail at Springer Mt Georgia. My parents dropped me off along the interstate highway and I waved as they drove away. I was on a mission. It took 3 days and 19 rides.

My 1st day on the AT was Sept 28th. It started pouring rain which lasted 4 straight days. On day 2, I see a black bear that runs away when it sees me. Right after that I come across a skinny looking dude heading south. We have a great conversation. It turns out that the guy was thru hiking from Mt Katahdin Maine and was only 1 day from the finish. Over 2000 miles. He had been on the trail for about 5 months and was the very first south bound thru hiker to make it that year. I could tell he was the real deal and not feeding me bullshit. He gives me some tips and hands me his philosophers guide, which was a giude that tells you where all the resupply points are along the trail like country stores, gas stations, restaurants. It also points out all the drinking water locations and natural springs along the trail. Invaluable, it was like the bible for a hiker. He tells me he's down to his last $2 and says he's the president of the Pennsylvania Maple Syrup association. If I loan him $20 he will send a gallon of pure maple syrup in the mail. I don't hesitate and hand him the money. I was carrying about $1200 cash. The maple syrup was sent about 2 weeks later and arrived to my house while I was still on the trail.

So I continue my hike and cross into the Smoky mountains in early October. The fall colors in the smokies will melt your mind. Perfect timing. I meet tons of other hikers along the way and sleep each night in the hiker shelters spaced about 10 to 15 miles apart along the length of the trail. I was averaging about 17 miles a day which is a brutal pace in the mountains while carrying a 70lb backpack.. One of the steepest climbs had 15 switchbacks. 

Around the 26th of October as I'm heading into southern Virginia a major snow storm hits.. I hike in snow up to my knees at the higher elevations. I'm the only hiker on the trail for 2 days. I hike into a small town in southern Virginia that has a free hikers house called "the place" which is one of the most famous places along the trail. I spend 2 nights at the place and decide to end my hike and hitch-hike back to Ohio. I ended up hiking 451 miles in 30 days from Sept, 28th to Oct, 28th. A true epic journey that I will never forget!!!

Do the thru hike 70kgman!

It will be one of the most incredible experiences of your life.

Most thru hikers who attempt it every year don't make it.

It will be a very physically and mentally demanding journey.

Good luck and ask me any questions you have.

Sounds like an awesome experience.  And I am sure glad ultralight gear has come a long way since '92.  I can't even imagine carrying a 70 pound pack.

wow, good story.  Why did you carry suck a heavy pack?  70 pounds?  JFC.  Do you know the name if the guide that tells you where are the water and supply places are along the route?  I would want to have that.

Awol guide.

http://www.amazon.com/T-Guide-Northbound-2016/dp/0982980892/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454099097&sr=8-1&keywords=awol+guide

Rule # 1. WATER. Got to have it especially during a hot summer hike. Extremely important!

There should be some kind of guide, information booklet that you can purchase for about $10 at the Springer MT ranger shack. Buy it. It will tell you where all the hidden springs and resupply points are along the trail.

Good suggestion a few posts ago about carrying more weight than your wife. At least twice as much to keep her weight down.

Be prepared for a downpour. Seriously! If it doesn't happen, great!

The trail will most likely be very busy in the summer. There are sleeping shelters every 10 miles or so but they may be full. Good idea to take a tent.

You may also come across rangers patrolling the trail. Some sections in the smokies require day hiking permits. I was asked for my permit from a ranger on horseback but told him I was thru hiking the entire smokies section so a permit wasn't needed.

The section you'll be hiking thru in northern Georgia is very difficult and can be physically brutal if not in shape. Up one mountain then down the other side. Up another mountain and down again. It's the Downhill hiking while carrying weight that will screw your knees and ankles up. About 10 miles a day is a good gameplan.

The black fliies and insects will be a problem especially in the summer. Have a gameplan for flies.

A camera is nice if you want pictures.

I reccomend lightweight hiking boots over leather boots.

Remember that the movie Deliverance was filmed in the northern Georgia area. Unless your Burt Reynolds be prepared to squeal like a pig!!!! Just kidding HaHa!

You only live once WVU. Have a great hike!

I carried a full pack of food which accounted for most of my pack weight. No MRE's for me. 

In 1992 the best trail guide out there was called the philosophers guide.

Also all the shelters should have a hikers log. I always read them and it keeps you in touch with those ahead of you and behind you plus other tips. Read the shelter logs.

You'll need a trail name. Mine was Heartman.

headlamp

head net for flies/bugs

Watch some videos or read up on how to pack your bag...if everything is not positioned right, it'll strain on you worse than it already is when carrying 40lbs.

If I were you, I'd make your wife only carry a couple snacks and all the lightweight gear and then gallon or so of water.  Should keep her around 13 lbs.

Worse than you feeling pain for having to carry the weight is having to deal with a wife nagging or saying "hold on I'm tired"  give her minimal lbs.

headlamp

head net for flies/bugs

Watch some videos or read up on how to pack your bag...if everything is not positioned right, it'll strain on you worse than it already is when carrying 40lbs.

If I were you, I'd make your wife only carry a couple snacks and all the lightweight gear and then gallon or so of water.  Should keep her around 13 lbs.

Worse than you feeling pain for having to carry the weight is having to deal with a wife nagging or saying "hold on I'm tired"  give her minimal lbs.

Yeah good advice.  I am worried about her even being able to walk that far.  I don't want to carry 40 pounds though, I am a smallish guy.  We have been watching a ton of videos.

No way man. I was on a spiritual journey.

You may get stopped by rangers on the trail so make sure you're legal and don't need any permits.

isn't it legal to carry a gun in your pack?  I don't have a CWP, but I did take the class.  Just never sent in my paperwork.  Guns are pretty heavy though with the clip.  I would prefer not to take one, but most have recommended that I do. 

Yeah good advice.  I am worried about her even being able to walk that far.  I don't want to carry 40 pounds though, I am a smallish guy.  We have been watching a ton of videos.

5'11 170, carried 55lbs, when packed right it doesn't feel that bad and you get used to it. 

Whatever boots you're wearing, make sure to test them out and break them in.

Have fun and soon as your wife drops the first hint of being uncomfortable, stop whatever you're doing and do whatever she says.  Just be prepared and leave some room in your bag to take on some of her weight from her pack.  We've carried too much at times and have had no real room left in the packs or places to tie on the outside and I've been stuck carrying shit.

Get some trekking poles too.  Got laughed at by my wifes friend one trip, she ended up using them and was surprised how much they helped.

isn't it legal to carry a gun in your pack?  I don't have a CWP, but I did take the class.  Just never sent in my paperwork.  Guns are pretty heavy though with the clip.  I would prefer not to take one, but most have recommended that I do. 

In California it was Unloaded OPEN Carry.  And in Colorado it was Open Carry. 

Best to make sure what it is down there.  If I had a CCP in Colorado, I would of been able too, but since I didn't at the time it had to be open carry.

And I believe in most places but it's illegal to discharge the gun (common sense).  So it may be best to carry the clip separate.

Good idea on the poles Ted. I had no plans at using a hiking pole or walking stick but saw several other hikers doing it so tried it out.

Fuckin loved it and found a nice walking stick/tree branch that I carried with me almost the whole way.

Snacks are important. You are going to be hungry. I chowed on raisins and carrots between meals.