Hiking the Appalachian Trail

WVU

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snacks are important. You are going to be hungry. I chowed on raisins and carrots between meals.

I was constantly snacking.  Pack has 2 pockets on the waist buckles, probably used for cell phone/camera/wallet/who knows.  I loaded them with trailmix/jerky/dehydrated mangos.  Dehydrated mangos were great...Buddy that hikes quite often brings Camel Snus, he doesn't smoke, but he swears by that when taking long hikes, he says it takes your mind off things for a while and you enjoy getting the "tobacco" taste for 15-20 minutes.

The wife and I are taking a hiking trip this Summer.  We are going to hike the start of the Appalachian Trail which begins in Springer Mountain, Georgia.  This will be a week hike and we will be trekking about 10 miles per day.  This should get us close to the NC border.

I recently bought 2 cases of MREs (Meal Ready to Eat) for this trip.  I have all 24 different kinds that are made for the US military.  I tried one last night and another one for lunch today.  The MREs are pretty cool and come with everything you need including little heating packs so you don't even need a fire or camping stove.  All you do is add a few ounces of water.  While the MREs are cool looking, they do not taste all that good.  The one I just ate was #8 Meatballs in marinara.  It comes with au gratin potatoes, 2 pieces of some type of bread, cheese spread,  an energy bar, fruit juice powder (cool aid), 2 little pieces of gum, salt, pepper, coffee, a spoon, napkin, and wet nap.  All in all there is like 1400 calories, but there is a good bit of food.  I can't finish a whole one.

I have ordered super lightweight backpacks.  I will be carrying about 22-23 pounds and the wife will be carrying 17-18 pounds.  I also ordered lightweight sleeping bags, self inflating lightweight sleeping pads, and a light 2 person tent.  I am bringing a couple little stoves, headlamps, a shovel/axe combo unit, and an outback emergency kit.  At the suggestion of others I am bringing along my 9 mm handgun and a fully loaded clip.

Anyone ever taken a long backpacking trip?  It is kind of a dying activity, but something I have always enjoyed. 

Why MRE's   You can carry more weight than that easy for those miles and eat way better.

Head out west next time.

• 1 month later...

The wife and I are taking a hiking trip this Summer. We are going to hike the start of the Appalachian Trail which begins in Springer Mountain, Georgia. This will be a week hike and we will be trekking about 10 miles per day. This should get us close to the NC border.

I recently bought 2 cases of MREs (Meal Ready to Eat) for this trip. I have all 24 different kinds that are made for the US military. I tried one last night and another one for lunch today. The MREs are pretty cool and come with everything you need including little heating packs so you don't even need a fire or camping stove. All you do is add a few ounces of water. While the MREs are cool looking, they do not taste all that good. The one I just ate was #8 Meatballs in marinara. It comes with au gratin potatoes, 2 pieces of some type of bread, cheese spread, an energy bar, fruit juice powder (cool aid), 2 little pieces of gum, salt, pepper, coffee, a spoon, napkin, and wet nap. All in all there is like 1400 calories, but there is a good bit of food. I can't finish a whole one.

I have ordered super lightweight backpacks. I will be carrying about 22-23 pounds and the wife will be carrying 17-18 pounds. I also ordered lightweight sleeping bags, self inflating lightweight sleeping pads, and a light 2 person tent. I am bringing a couple little stoves, headlamps, a shovel/axe combo unit, and an outback emergency kit. At the suggestion of others I am bringing along my 9 mm handgun and a fully loaded clip.

Anyone ever taken a long backpacking trip? It is kind of a dying activity, but something I have always enjoyed.

sounds fun

Smoker does a snake count?

I have been bitten by a snake 6 times

i used work at as a land surveyor, worse job i ever had. So many fucking snakes out there man

The Carolinas have more snakes than anywhere else in the country

this fucking copperhead bit my calf and wouldnt let go. I took my machette and chopped his head clean off and the damn fangs were still latched on to my leg

Yea man snakes count. I heard a story of a guy who lives in Arizona and there was a snake in his toilet and he didnt bother to look before he sat down. Well the snake bit his fuckin balls man lol. That's insane.

would love for that to happen to joey Non heterosexual humans , Mike Spanks, or Russian Cock Gobbler

• 2 weeks later...

Yep.  Plan on starting around the last week of March/first week of April.  Have most of my main gear already, still have lots of smalls and accessories to get before I leave.  Hoping to keep my base weight before food + water to under 18 pounds.

I wonder if 70kgman made it to the AT?

It's extremely hard for most to find the time and money it takes to do a thru hike.